Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/11/2004, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

How will they survive?

I've noticed quite a few posts by people who either work at or are associated with dive shops. I really liked the service and knowledge of the shop I got the first half of my certification through. But when it came to buying gear, I couldn't justify paying double the price at a dive shop vs the internet. I've bought from leisurepro and scubaytoys online with satisfactory results.
I'm certainly not anti-pro shop, in fact I like Scubatoys because they have an actual brick and mortar shop in addition to their online business. But I wonder if the economics force them to charge the prices they do, even for used equipment. Or was the business so profitable in the pre-internet days that they took advantage of the limited availability to make such margins?
And I wonder about the future of these businesses. Most of the ones in my area are small business owners trying to make a living doing something they love to do. It seems like they may be fated to go the way of those affected by the Walmarts of the world.
I wonder what you think? Does the knowledge and experience add enough value to justify paying double for a mask or a pair of booties?

BKB
Old 04/11/2004, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

The same holds true for Reef Shops. Most local shops charge more than the mail order shops.

Scuba shops also train/certify dives. Many folks will buy locally because the shop has familiar faces and folks they can trust.

I choose to buy (most) stuff locally. Yes, I pay more but the local support, in my mind, is worth the few extra dollars.

ri
Old 04/11/2004, 08:39 PM
Got Salt!

dive shops dont make any or significant money just teaching , its gear sales that keep them in business...so if you want to get air fills and have the convience of a local shop id buy local....Actually i do buy local even if the prices are higher...one some on line purchases arnt under waranty...and the deal at my LDV is if you buy it from him he will fix it for you at cost...of the parts....but if you buy it on line then he will charge 50 bucks just to look at it....
Old 04/12/2004, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

I buy most of my stuff from my LDS. But I also have a great shop. I recently bought a whole new set of gear, all the way from computers to regs to fins. At the same time, I bought a BP/Harness/Wing setup. I paid top dollar for the computers and reg (Scubapro...basically fixed pricing from authorized retailers).

After chunking down $3K on a reg and computers, I told them that there was no way in hell that I was paying manufacturer mark up on a piece of steel (backplate) and a nylon bag (Wing), and they gave me a really good deal. Much better price than I could have gotten the same rig for online.

When I went back to sign up for Nitrox, they gave my fiance and I half price.

Did I save as much as if I bought everything online? No. On about a $5K bill, it was about $700 more than online prices. But I know the guys I bought it from and they know me and that means a lot when it comes to things like servicing (which I do religiously).

For what it's worth, I buy all my reef stuff locally for the same reasons.

And here's a tip for you...there are credit cards that have price match policies and will honor prices against printed mail order catalogues. Every year I max out my AMEX limit ($1K). It usually comes close to making up for the price differences.
Old 04/13/2004, 01:10 AM
10 & Over Club

MO dive gear is strictly "grey" market. The dive industry manufacturer's make a big deal of not selling MO and will not warrantee items purchased via MO. So part of that extra expense of buying your gear from a LDS is a Manufacturer's warantee that will be honoured anywhere you happen to be when it's needed. Also if there are no LDS left, who are you going to have service your Reg's? Mail them in? The kid being paid $6 an hour at Wally world?

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 04/15/2004, 05:28 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I am lucky to have a great LDS. They check out the equipment annually for free and my life is on the line with this gear and no recurrent maintenance costs add up as as ri and scuba dog said. Second they offer great trade-in value so you can upgrade or trade-up if $$ are an issue. My LDS actually offer 100% of purchase price on trade in up to 12 months.
Old 04/28/2004, 02:35 PM
Registered member

It is hard when there is such a HUGE difference in price. The LDS in my area is the only one for a few hours, so his prices are obscene because he has no competition. When the difference between ordering online and buying at the shop can cost you an extra $800 for the same single piece of equipment...it's really hard to justify.

Quote:
dive shops dont make any or significant money just teaching , its gear sales that keep them in business...so if you want to get air fills and have the convience of a local shop id buy local....Actually i do buy local even if the prices are higher...one some on line purchases arnt under waranty...and the deal at my LDV is if you buy it from him he will fix it for you at cost...of the parts....but if you buy it on line then he will charge 50 bucks just to look at it....
A single period between complete thoughts is perfectly acceptable in modern grammar.
Old 05/04/2004, 08:12 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

obviously it is your decision ask them about servicing any equipment you may purchase on-line because if there are no LDS close you may find that shipping and servicing on dive gear can be costly.
Old 05/04/2004, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

i've seen both worlds, i have worked in a LDS and I buy my stuff from leisurepro, now what happens with this..... leisurepro is a bussines from non divers, its just their job, they dont dive, they can not tell you, ive tried this or that, but you can not beat the prices, so if you are a beginner you should go and get trained in your LDS get your first equipment there, try it in the pool, use it and when is time to replace it and you have a good judgment of what is better for you, what you like and what goes with your wallet go to leisurepro and buy it

what do you guys think?
Old 05/05/2004, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

this isn't just about Leisurepro. Scubatoys is one that comes to mind that offers deeply discounted equipment on line and yet still has a brick and mortar dive shop. I'm not sure of their prices in their shop and if they match what they sell online or not.
BKB
Old 05/05/2004, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Local Dive Shop VS Online & Mail Order

Where do you get your car serviced, and why?
*At the Dealership for factory auth. & trained mech/parts
*At the local independant garage with a mech. and low price

Perhaps you get your oil changed at a quick change shop of some sort. perhaps you buy your tires from a large department store. But where would you get your transmission repaired? What tech advice does that pimpled baby face at the cash register offer?

Its much the same with dive gear. Great prices on line. And with a US warranty card, each dealer of that brand will (must) service.
But best relationships are local. Pay the price for expert insight.

I purchase dive gear at many levels. Mfg Purchase Orders, Online, and local. Of all, I much prefer the relationship of a LDS. That having been said, I drive past two shops and 2 1/2 hours to get to the shop that I prefer. Its a pain in the arse.

Consider this: My best practice has been a mix of the two markets; Purchase non mechanical static items, ie wetsuits, fins, ect. online. Get your tech gear ie regs and computers from a shop that has been selling that brand for a long long time. They have the technical experience and direct factory support you are going to need.

...and someone tell that grammar nazi to get out of the pool.
Sea Dog 6
out there sippin air
Old 05/06/2004, 05:45 AM
Premium Member

Re: Local Dive Shop VS Online & Mail Order

Quote:
Originally posted by sea dog 6
Its much the same with dive gear. Great prices on line. And with a US warranty card, each dealer of that brand will (must) service.
This is a very important point. Most of the main manufacturers do not authorize online retailers. Therefore you will not get a manufacturers warranty from purchases online. This is very similiar to the "grey market" merchandise commonly found for electronics. Most of the big ones (like LeisurePro and DiversDiscount) offer their own warranties in place, however you need to send gear back to them for service.