Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/29/2007, 01:07 AM
Moved On

how many LFS are in your state?

I'm curious how many "good" SW fish stores there currently are in the USA. How many stores do you have in your state. Please try not to repeat if possible so I can get an accurate count.

Thanks.
Old 06/06/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

There are zero in Jackson county. We have to go to Huntsville or Chattanooga to get stuff.
Lisa
Old 06/06/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

hmm, let's see, there's Sarris Underwater Creations in Bessemer, Tropical Pet Cove in Alabaster, Then there's 2 in Hoover, Aquarium Designs- usually has a bigger selection and several nice display tanks, but store has too much traffic because of location so its hard to get attention,kinda like trying to find help in Home Depot or WalMart, and then there's Aquarium Imports large selection of supplies, but I don't think you could pay me to buy livestock from them, but that's just my opinion.
Old 06/07/2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Central AL has a few smaller stores like Wet Pets in Montgomery, and Reef fantasies, or Aquarium Fantasies ?

Wet Pets has pretty Clean Livestock.

So does Aquarium Fantasies but the owner there makes driving elsewhere worthwhile, he is an adventure to say the least.
Old 06/07/2007, 03:02 PM
NARC Reefer

In North Alabama there are at least 3 -- Coral Reef Aquatics, Lucy's Lagoon, and The Aquarium Shop (Huntsville). A number of other places sell SW fish and supplies, but I don't know if you'd call them "good." PetWorks in Florence would have been included, but they're going out of business.
HTH,
Mariner

~The perception is that perception is reality, but the reality is that it isn't.
Old 06/12/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

I would'nt go to The Aquarium Shop if you want any personal attention or anything of quality. Thats my opinion I think there is another shop in Athens, Alabama also but not sure of the name
Old 06/12/2007, 11:30 PM
NARC Reefer

Coral Reef Aquatics is the shop that's in (near) Athens.
I agree that The Aquarium Shop is not up to the level of the other two, especially CRA, but Pete (the owner) is pretty knowledgable, they do carry some things the others don't (e.g. pump parts) and you'll occasionally find a nice coral or fish. CRA is the whole package though -- price, service and selection.
FWIW,
Mariner

~The perception is that perception is reality, but the reality is that it isn't.
Old 06/13/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

yes I do agree that CRA is the complete package. It is the only shop I go to anymore, does anyone know whats going on with lucy's lagoon, I was there the other day and most of the big tanks were empty and they had almost no livestock.
Old 06/14/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

There's Ed' Pet World (Homewood), a Pet Supplies Plus in Pelham, Aquapets (Coldwater/Munford/Anniston). The owner of Aquapets says that there are 4 SW stores in the Gadsden/Anniston areas.

Billy
Old 06/14/2007, 07:12 PM
NARC Reefer

I know of Lang's and The Living Reef in the Gadsden area. TLR has always been an excellent shop.
Mariner