Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

Sudden problems with montipora corals

Anyone know of something other than predators, which causes montipora to react badly to but not acropora (or at least, montis are reacting sooner).

I've noticed that most (but not all) of the montipora in my tank is looking bleached out, polyps withdrawn (or gone), etc. At first I noticed it on a "purple" digitata that was in the sand bed temporarily, underneath a light that had gone out. While I would have expected this to result in browning rather than bleaching, I didn't think too much about it.

Then I noticed a "cap" that has always been kind of an ugly brown, but which has really taken off in terms of growth, was also looking this way. Also, I placed three frags of a swirling orange cap around my tank, and the smallest sliver had plated over a good couple square inches of rock, and that is now beige and dead-looking, rather than bright orange. The largest piece is still pretty orange, but the edges...where you get new growth...are looking weird...thinner than the rest...I don't know how to explain it. I know I know...I need to pony up some pics.

I should also disclose that I've been a bit negligent lately with the water changes, I've run out of GFO and I don't clean my skimmer as often as it needs. So, nitrates are up to about 5 (Salifert) and I now have somewhat detectable phosphates (Salifert) which must mean more are present because even at a measure of 0 I get algae on the glass.

This may in fact be the problem (water quality) but I would have expected it to hit my acros first, and most of them look fine.

jds
Old 01/03/2008, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

It is always different. did you look for Flat worms or nunies. Also the acros in your tank just may be more established which would make it harder for them to get upset with you. I am not sure. Pics would help.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Well, I took some photos but my PC that has the imaging software crashed. So I can't post 'em yet. I did however notice that some of the acros aren't exactly looking their best either.

I did think of something else that I did recently, however....I restarted my carbon-filled Phosban reactor with fresh carbon. Now...I've never really taken any extra precautions before when I've started it up, but maybe the "sudden clearing" could have bleached the corals...

I had suspected maybe my RODI was putting out crap, but it measured 5 ppm....not perfect but hardly a significant problem.

jds
Old 01/04/2008, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

But if your top off water and the water you use to do canges, (you haven't been keeping up with) are at .5 than i could see a build up. Do a big change 50%
Old 01/04/2008, 01:16 PM
My tank is too full

Caps are sensitive to Mg levels. Mine have browned when I was not up on regular testing.

To thine own self be true
Old 01/04/2008, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Good idea, I will check the Mg.

jds
Old 01/04/2008, 03:13 PM
TANK RAIDER!

bureau I'm willing to bet that your alk is low to very low.
montis really hate low alk.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I had this same thing happen back when my daughter was born. I was sleep deprived and too busy to do the level of maintenance that the tank required. It went downhill from there. I lost several colonies that were my long time residents. You've hit the nail on the head as this is exactly what I found with my tank. Lots of water changes and monitor the Alk & Ca. That was the remedy that brought the tyank back. It's taken 6 months to get the tank back to 100% healthy. Only now am I starting to put new additions in the tank.

Your problem "I should also disclose that I've been a bit negligent lately with the water changes, I've run out of GFO and I don't clean my skimmer as often as it needs. So, nitrates are up to about 5 (Salifert) and I now have somewhat detectable phosphates (Salifert) which must mean more are present because even at a measure of 0 I get algae on the glass."

Last edited by surfjeepzx; 01/04/2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

yup montis react the first to low alk and very badly.... i learned the hard way

MASVC member
Old 01/04/2008, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, me also..........
Old 01/09/2008, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by murphreef
Me three...
Old 01/09/2008, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

oddly enough though high alk dosent seem to bother them...as i recently ran out of tests...but maintained dosing...got a new kit and alk is at 15DKH..and my montis have never looked better...
Old 01/10/2008, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

I have found the same to be true. It seems that if you are going to err, err on the high side.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ishmael
I have found the same to be true. It seems that if you are going to err, err on the high side.
however ...high alk will cause your acros to sluff off their skin... (ALK BURN)
Old 01/10/2008, 11:11 PM
Reef nerd

Quote:
however ...high alk will cause your acros to sluff off their skin... (ALK BURN)

From my experience, higher ALK levels are fine for Acros. However, sudden change in Alk will make them lose their skin
Old 01/11/2008, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drock59
From my experience, higher ALK levels are fine for Acros. However, sudden change in Alk will make them lose their skin
well there you go...another thing learned for me today...

i was correlating my acro sluff to the high alk...but i guess it could have just as easily been sharp increase...as i just started dripping Kalk at night and accidentally OD'ed it....all coral lookd fine with exception of one of my acros that has battled STN and came back...only to start sluffing..

i stopped the Kalk and will redo the calculations before attempting again..
Old 01/11/2008, 01:51 PM

I had the same issue recently with most of my monti's. the changes I made was to reduce alk from 12 to 9. Then I started to feed the corals everyday for 2 wks straight. Overfed fish. I also removed carbon. Did more water changes. Everything is back to normal now and monti's are growing and colored up as they were 2 months ago. By the way.. i dont have alk fluctuations so i know that was not my issue. My reactor is very stable.