Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/03/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Location: Florida (UMiami) during school year, Massachusetts otherwise.
Plumbing, Powerheads, Head Loss

OK -

So I'm putting together a neon goby breeding set up and I've got a bank of 5.5g tanks with a nice large sump. But I don't have much experience with building PVC and choosing powerheads... So help? I want one powerhead for every two 5.5g tanks; iterative plumbing units, ya know. Don't ask; that's how it's going to go.

I'm curious what powerhead/pump I should get. I just want to make sure I have enough, and not too much pressure to blow up my PVC structure's tubing and such. The bottom of the sump and the top of my 5 gallons are three feet away (vertical, duh). Can I get an Eheim 1048 to pump sump water in to two of the 5.5 gallons safely? Will it work?

Just my lack of experience with head loss, etc...

Help!
Old 09/04/2007, 03:07 AM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

there is a head loss calculator on the home page on the left side. sorry, i couldnt tell ya about the 1048, no experience with em.
Old 09/04/2007, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Not quite what I was looking for, but thanks - I know about the head loss calculator; I was hoping for:

- Some possible suggestions of powerheads to buy for these needs
- How much wiggle room I have in terms of buying TOO powerful; i.e. will the pressure in the PVC be okay if I have to close some valves to slow down the flow?
Old 09/04/2007, 09:21 AM
Genius

I think you have the vocabulary a little mixed up. Powerheads are used for in-tank flow.
Some pumps can be used in-tank, and also inline internal and inline external.

As long as you use at least Sc.40, then it will be fine for pressure. We're talking about pretty weak pumps here.

I would use a cheap, easily replaceable pump like a QuietOne (3000 or 4000) or OceanRunner (2500 or 3500). You could split up the flow into 3 or 4 tank instead of the 2 you were planning.
Old 09/04/2007, 09:24 AM
Genius

Also what will you be keeping in these 5.5g tanks?
That will determine how much flow you would want/need.
And I forgot to mention that the Eheim 1048 is probably too weak.
Old 09/04/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I noticed. Thanks for the QuietOne pump, I see they ARE cheap. I wonder what 45 decibels sounds like?

Anyhow, the truth is these tanks are for breeding neon gobies. I don't need any advice on that aspect; I've got my plans for it. There won't need to be much flow; they're getting a huge reservoir of water, which will be mixed and filtered well, so I'm not concerned about any of the problems associated with low flow in the actual goby broodstock tank.

I'm using the Aquatic Eco-Systems catalog for prices and such though, and unless I haven't looked hard enough, I don't see numbers for gph or head loss for the Quiet One pumps. I don't even see the numbers you used to refer to them - only names like Q211, etc. I assume this is on their web site or something?

Thanks!