Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 04/25/2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Hi Ricardo,

I´ve just realised that you had this wonder in your garage!!! I was way far from this... and we are so close to each other!

I must visit you soon - has you know I really want a frag of that Turbinária!!!!!

I´ll give you a call tomorrow.

Cheers,
Diogo

PS - why on earth didn´t you share this wonder in the portuguese foruns???!!!!
Old 04/26/2006, 09:52 PM
Moved On

Ricardo,

awesome system.. what thickness glass are you using.. and are the edges polished ?

looks great ! cant wait to see more!

Joe
Old 04/27/2006, 04:00 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Diogo and Mongoose! The glass thickness is 1/2" (12mm) and edges are perfectly polished. Soon I'm going to fill it with NSW. I must get also the lighting for it, it's going to be 3 x 150W HQI + 2 x 58W actinic T8

Regards
Old 04/27/2006, 11:55 PM
Latenight Reefer

Your tank is very similar to mine, and even better. Mines 36"x25"x12". I used to have sand on the bottom but went to a BB since its so shallow. I have a sump attached with a refugium, LR, and LS. I like how yours is long and I think its the right height with the sand bed. Are you going to put fish into your second one?
Old 04/28/2006, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

No fish in the prop tanks jer77, just corals! Do you have fish in yours?
Old 04/28/2006, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

PM Sent
Old 04/30/2006, 01:05 AM
Latenight Reefer

No, I saw you had cardinals in yours. I used to have a small percula though before it got sucked down the drain. Some people have fish in their prop tanks, I do agree that no fish is better. I love your sarcophyton frags, did you just cut up a big one?
Old 04/30/2006, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

I really like Sarcophyton too, I think now I'll cut the frags themselves to produce new ones. These come from a medium sized one.
Old 04/30/2006, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Nice job
How high is first tank of the ground how high will the second tank be off the ground?
Also could you post a picture of how the lights are installed.
Old 04/30/2006, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Olá Ricardo,

Nice system, I´m think that I´ve to do something similar. I live in Murtal and I have to visit you.

João Paulo
Old 05/01/2006, 05:01 PM
See if you can pingaso it

Really nice work! What kind of silicon on you using to build the tanks ?
Old 05/03/2006, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

looks Great!!
Old 05/03/2006, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

incoma, the heigth of the first prop tank is 35" (+12" tank) and the second is 60" (+8" tank). What do you want to see exactly about the lights? I've just a DIY luminaire with 3 x 150W HQI and 2 x 58W T8 actinics, the luminaire is on the eurobracing.

jpm You're welcome to visit me and see all my reef tanks!

jman77 I'm using transparent silicone from Henkel and black silicone from Rhodia.

Thanks for all the comments. I must put new photos now because the 2nd prop tank is already running (without lights).
Old 05/14/2006, 04:26 AM
Registered Member

2nd prop tank is already filled with NSW and both tanks are now sharing the same sump. As this tank is going to be for hard corals only I'm not sure if sump sharing is good for both. I'm affraid alellopathy could slow growth rates, what do you think?

Some photos:

pine wood structure

outflow to sump (40mm PVC)

Old 05/14/2006, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RRodrigues
[B]2nd prop tank is already filled with NSW and both tanks are now sharing the same sump. As this tank is going to be for hard corals only I'm not sure if sump sharing is good for both. I'm affraid alellopathy could slow growth rates, what do you think?
RRodrigues-
You have built a super nice propagation system. I have been following your thread and would like to thank you for sharing your experience.

Ideally I would want to have seperate systems for the different types on corals. Calfo suggests completely seperate systems for Scleractinians and soft corals in order to avoid exposure to allelopathic compounds especially for coral farming.

On the other hand:
Daniel Knop on soft coral propagation - "If the water turnover for each tank is not too great (the entire tank volume once per hour) and granular activated carbon is used in the bottom tank (sump), it is our experience that the species in one tank will not affect the growth of species in the neighboring tanks."
http://web.archive.org/web/200102111.../2/default.asp

Are you running any activated carbon media in your sump? This may help to reduce the amount of allelopathic compounds in the water escpecially if the system has a slower flow through the two tanks and your sump. You could supplement water movement in the tank that requires the higher flow (top tank?) with some power heads or airlifts.

More frequent water changes may be required especially after producing divisions as some of the Octocorals, Corallimorphs and Zoanthids release many noxious compounds when stressed.
Old 06/15/2006, 08:00 PM
Moved On

Ricardo,

any updates on your system ?

Joe
Old 06/16/2006, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

It's never too late to thank you Sammy for your help, actually I've decided to follow what you've said and build another sump to separate the 2 prop tanks. I've finnaly build the RO/DI reservoir (30gal) for both systems and now I'm wondering how can I use just 1 osmolator to function with both systems??

Joe, tomorrow I'll post new photos.

Regards
Old 06/16/2006, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

sweet prop set up
Old 06/24/2006, 05:36 AM
Registered Member

I didn't find anyone using 1 osmolator (Tunze) to work with 2 independent tanks, any thoughts on this would be great. I guess evaporation will be similar in both tanks as water surface, lighting and pumps (same heat produced) would be the same.

I'm now setting up a Calcium reactor (Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000) for better calcium and alkalinity.

The upper tank is working just with LR, I'm planning to add some live sand too.

New photos:

Upper tank sump. New outflow to new sump at right

New sump and RO/DI 30gal reservoir

Lobophytum pauciflorum frag - Devil's hand

At the center one of my favourite coral - Psammocora sp.

Green zoanthids

Old 06/24/2006, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

Old 06/24/2006, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RRodrigues
I didn't find anyone using 1 osmolator (Tunze) to work with 2 independent tanks, any thoughts on this would be great. I guess evaporation will be similar in both tanks as water surface, lighting and pumps (same heat produced) would be the same.

I would not use a single osmolator to supply top-off water for two seperate systems. I would think that Murphy's law would strike and you may end up with a modern diluvial!

It will likely be worth it for peace of mind to invest in a second osmolator. I have seperate top-off's for three different systems, have avoided any severe mishaps and have kept the wife happy by not having large amounts of saltwater on the floors.
Old 06/29/2006, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

WOW this is incredible! I'm pretty new to all of this and am teaching marine bio this next year to 140 students. The shop teacher and his room (and his COOL tools) are next to mine and he LOVES aquariums and he has offered his services to build w/e I want. Your setup is incredible...hope ours comes out 1/2 that nice!

Our main goal will be lots of growth for the purpose of teaching regeneration etc to the kids. I hope my hubby one day lets me kick his truck out of the garage to have a sweet setup like yours at home ! good job!
Old 06/29/2006, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

This is one of the nicest prop-tanks I've ever seen, nicer than some people's livingroom-tank.

What's your caclium-level at the moment? I bet the corals use up a lot!
Old 06/29/2006, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Sammy33, you're right but before buying another osmolator I must try something using just the one I've got. First try I'm going to use a power inverter (12V > 220V) so I could use a peristaltic pump (got this one already) to put water in both sumps at the same time.

ladyfsyu, I was just peeking at your site and what a tremendous work you're doing with kids and reefs. Hope you get your home prop tank soon.
Old 06/29/2006, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

sweet tank