Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/05/2008, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

is the numbers on the left lpm?
Old 01/05/2008, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

Comparison of the stock impeller on the top to the spare impeller I had on the bottom.

After installing my backup impeller here are the new air readings and neck pics

Old 01/05/2008, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr. pluto
is the numbers on the left lpm?
left is SCFH right is LPM
Old 01/05/2008, 03:54 PM
Limestone cowboy

Yeah with mesh that poorly cut you guys should have some on hand.
20 scfh seems like a good amt of air for that skimmer.
Any restart issues?
Old 01/05/2008, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

ok, it's lower than i anticipated. the ati's is over 15lpm
air flow must be goverened by mesh diameter.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

I just went out and turned it on and off a dozen times including fully body drainage....restarted perfectly each time. I think the reason might be the flow restrictor included is a little smaller than what I have previous experience with on this pump.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

that's actually a good thing. less equip. fiddling
Old 01/05/2008, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr. pluto
ok, it's lower than i anticipated. the ati's is over 15lpm
air flow must be goverened by mesh diameter.
I can tell you that I don't personally get 15 LPM out of the pump on my ATI BM160. I get more like 22SCFH or 11 LPM. Others results might be different, but I don't think there will be a measurable air difference between this pump on an ATI body or this pump on the SWC body.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

i have a 250, i thought the pumps are the same.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

hmm...looks like whoever gets one of these need to check the impeller...and most likely will need to redo the mesh......dont these pumps come with a meshwheel or needlewheel ...?im wonder if i can purchase a sicce pump impeller that was made for the BK or BM.......
Old 01/05/2008, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

That's exactly what I was wondering saltydragon. I really wish the pump just came with a needlewheel versus a modded wheel...
Old 01/05/2008, 05:18 PM
Charleston Reefer

Wow, i thought the number would be a lot higher....
Old 01/05/2008, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

i been reading some threads on BM skimmers and looks like the sicce pumps do come mesh modded anyone can confirm this?
Old 01/05/2008, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

I thought thatr the air flow would be higher too, I am getting around 11 LPM out of my Euro reef Sedra 500.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Our lfs has a few of each in stock, I seen the 200 in action and wow! Way quiet compared to my normal nw200(one because the pump doesn't sit on the bottom of the sump, but also because its a more efficient pump,and two, no water splashing) lower heat production. Bubbles like i've never seen from another skimmer. And yes, the bubble plate is removable to clean underneath.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for posting the pics.

[violation]

Quote:
Originally posted by jokerjp
Comparison of the stock impeller on the top to the spare impeller I had on the bottom.

After installing my backup impeller here are the new air readings and neck pics

Last edited by billsreef; 01/05/2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:01 PM
One Good Friend

Three layers will work well and you have to have a restrictor in the male thread that is half an inch, then you will get your serious air. So its going to take a female fitting on the front of teh cover with pvc tapered down to 1/2" before the air injector. You do that and you'll get the sicce to perform well. If not your only going to get the 20-30scfh.

Here's the way to get 22-24lpm out of your sicce's. I would suggest purchasing it if your not diy savy but if you are it will take a few bux from your local hardware to make. HTH

http://www.protein-skimmer.com/shopp...itemdetail.asp
Old 01/05/2008, 07:09 PM
Tank Collector

Hey Luke, thanks for that link.... You know offhand anyplace to get replacement impellars ??? I would like to buy one or two so when I need to replace the mesh, I can just swap in a new set into my MSX250 and then work on the other impellars without having the skimmer be down for any extended period of time...
Old 01/05/2008, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daytonreefRob
Thanks for posting the pics.

We are working to perfect the meshmod, we are putting three layers of Enkamat on them. We have found that if the mesh is not trimmed closely, the pumps do not always restart. We actually water test each and every pump after they are modded before they get shipped.

Please feel free to provide constructive criticism, we want to make these the best we possibly can.
Rob,
Mesh wheel is an inexact science and i don't anticipate having a "perfect" product when dealing with that factor. I do feel that the mesh on my stock impeller was a little sloppy and uneven, and when the mesh isn' t balanced it leads to air surges and inconsistent performance IME. I have enkamat laying around (and a spare impeller) so this really isn't an issue for me, but for those less experienced with a mesh based impeller might be frustrated.

I'm still getting used to the "free floating" venturi and air restrictor. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet it's just too early to tell. I did have the restrictor float away upon pump shutdown once....am I doing something wrong here or is intended to just sit in the pump intake?

The only solid constructive criticism I can give at this early evaluation time is that the included air tubing should be replaced ASAP. It's just too thin walled and prone to kinking.

Appreciate you looking in on this thread and if you have any other comments let me know.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:21 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Thats a pretty neat design. For a 6" body it probably can't handle much more air. It would be cool to see them do the same thing with an 8" body and an Eheim with a standard NW, pulling ~900LPH.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:28 PM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by badazztealcobra
Hey Luke, thanks for that link.... You know offhand anyplace to get replacement impellars ??? I would like to buy one or two so when I need to replace the mesh, I can just swap in a new set into my MSX250 and then work on the other impellars without having the skimmer be down for any extended period of time...
Just buy a q03000 impeller, its just blue instead of yellow, but there exactly the same. You'll have to shave down the three turbine blades and drill 6 holes, then add the mesh but the qo's are only around 13bux. Really i'd just buy the 14dollar kit and redo the meshmod. I know its kinda a pain to do, but the results will be 22-24lpm well worth the money.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:31 PM
Tank Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Just buy a q03000 impeller, its just blue instead of yellow, but there exactly the same. You'll have to shave down the three turbine blades and drill 6 holes, then add the mesh but the qo's are only around 13bux. Really i'd just buy the 14dollar kit and redo the meshmod. I know its kinda a pain to do, but the results will be 22-24lpm well worth the money.
I planned on redoing the meshmod if it's not right when I get my skimmer, I just like to have spares of stuff laying around just incase... I think everything I own breaks down atleast once...
Old 01/05/2008, 07:33 PM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
Thats a pretty neat design. For a 6" body it probably can't handle much more air. It would be cool to see them do the same thing with an 8" body and an Eheim with a standard NW, pulling ~900LPH.
Fligger, i wondered the same thing about could the 6.5" 160 really handle a meshwheel sicce? Even with a large neck, i dono but you can always throttle down air. The eheim's are nice and pull 900lph buuuut the sicce modded correctly will do 1300-1500 at 30ish watts. Not to comparable airwise but i do love the eheim's durability and they are very long lived pump's.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:47 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

True, any pump I guess. I was just thinking 900LPH would be about right for an 8" body. APF600 is 5" and A150 is 6" so maybe this skimmer could handle more air with a bigger neck. I like the way the pump is underneath for those needing a really small footprint.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:47 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by jokerjp

The intake contains a flow restricter that fits up against the venturi. It's the center piece pictured below.

If the intake looks like this it is not right...the plastic piece the airline hooks to should not be extending into the 1/2" restircter...try flipping it over so that the flat end goes into the volute...your air readings WILL go up as you are further restricting the water flow with it the way it is in that picture..