Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/13/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Golden butterflyfish (Chaetodon semilarvatus)

anyone have any experience with these guys or tips - especially around feeding
Old 10/14/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

They are generally no more diificult than your average butterfly. Just feed lots of meaty foods. I have kept a few of them but never personally owned one myself.
Old 10/14/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

hoping they'd go for flake as well
Old 10/14/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

I would not be surprised if they ate flake but from my experience with numerous butterflies and many fish in general, flake is really an inferior food for larger fish like this. I would try not to rely on it with butterflies. It is hard to give them the bulk they need to grow and thrive on a diet of flake. You are better off using higher quality frozen foods (or even better yet, making your own foods for them) almost exclusively.
Old 10/14/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

any recommendations on the frozen foods?
Old 10/14/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

frozen mysis, formula 1, fortified brine. any meaty foods will work. if you want to use dry foods every once in a while (I too am busy a lot and don't always have time to thaw out frozen) try giving the butterfly pellat foods.
Old 10/14/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

I have had pairs or trios on three different occasions including currently.

The bad news is that they are extremely difficult to get to eat and are very prone to parasitic attack and bacterial infections.

The good news is that I have been very successful with introducing the Goldens into a quarantine tank with either pyramid, falcula or auriga butterflies which are easy to get to feed. The Goldens catch on. I treat for parasites and bacterial infections.

The other good news is that if you get them eating and keep them healthy for about two months, they will thrive after that.

I really have only been able to get them to eat frozen mysis, frozen brine and nori. They will not touch flake, or pellets in my experience. They will chow down on zoas and pick at sps but don't do any damage. They will sometimes eat the folmula gel based cubes if smashed into the rocks.

Liveaquaria has recently had them in the divers den section for very reasonable prices. You know they are eating if they list them for sale.
Old 10/15/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

too bad to hear about their high prone rate to parasites.

actually got them on to mysis today - a couple took small bits of flake but not sure if they ate it or just sampled.

Tank is somewhat being over feed, but the other tankmates are loving it.
Old 10/16/2007, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

i have had one for several years now. Eats flake food 98% of the time. Also loves mysis which I believe I started with initally.
Old 10/16/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

You may want to try NLS. According to the owner of NLS fish crave it!
Old 10/16/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Well all 4 of them hit the mysis today......so pretty happy about this. They go after the flake, but seem to spit it out....will keep trying the flake too.
Old 10/16/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Mine just refuse to eat NLS or flake. I wish they would. They run around looking like lost pets when I feed the pellets or flake. As soon as the mysis hit the tank its a whole different story.
Old 10/17/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

I had a pair that eventually would eat anything. They liked pellets more than flake, but ate anything. They ate mysis and clams immediately and it took several months to gravitate towards the pellets.
Old 10/18/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

NLS?? What is that?
Old 10/18/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

New Life Spectrum NLS

It's a company based out of South Florida that makes pellet food for fish. Suppose to be top fo the line.
Old 10/19/2007, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

I myself would like to put four of these in a 125 6 footer. The tank will not be a Reef tank. It will be a FOWLR - two pillars connected by an arch and one mound - the rest will be sand and open swimming space. Would there be a prblem with this?
Old 10/21/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

oakie post pictures!!!!!!!!!
Old 10/21/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

I have a pair that will eat about anything. You might also try some algae sheets....they like to tear into those with my Angels.

I feed mainly a variety of frozen foods. I have yet to see this pair reject any of them.
Old 11/01/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

can someone post pics?
Old 11/02/2007, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
myself would like to put four of these in a 125 6 footer. The tank will not be a Reef tank. It will be a FOWLR - two pillars connected by an arch and one mound - the rest will be sand and open swimming space. Would there be a prblem with this?
There is a possibility of agression problems. If two pair off they will be aggressive towards the others. I had 4 & they paired off into two pairs. Even in a 180g, one pair bullied the other two.
I added another small pair & it changed the dyanmics of the group completely. Only problem was one of the smaller ones became a major bully to it's former partner. I had to remove the the one being beaten up.

Once you get past the acclimation & disease problems these guys are aggressive eaters & will eat anything. QT is a necesssity for them as well as QT for any new additions, as these fish have a low resistance to disease.

They are slow growers & need to be feed really well numerous times a day or you'll get the stunted growth look.........big eyes small body.

I had mine for about 5-6 years. I was disappointed that I couldn't keep them alive longer.

I mainly fed them frozen Formula foods, frozen fresh clam, shrimp, scallops, mysis.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Hi guys

I have a pair in my reeftank. What can I said about this fish is that's awsome fishes !!! And quite easy to feed. Be carrefull about keeping 4 butterfly, it could happens that you get tow paires who's want fight together... but you can try it !

(sorry for my english again...)
Old 11/02/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

They are sure beautiful fish

You can offer nuri on a daily basis and quality pellet dry food
Old 11/02/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

They are sure beautiful fish

You can offer nuri on a daily basis and quality pellet dry food
Old 11/02/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

did they eat corals, Pingu?
Old 11/06/2007, 06:11 AM
Registered Member

No they don't. But I would said that my fishes were for 4 years in a FO tank before coming in my reeftank...