Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 11/14/2006, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

WOW

WOULD BE GOOD
Old 11/14/2006, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

thanks for posting planning a 75 and will copy some of setup, please post more, thanks
Old 12/02/2006, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

water test

Tested for leak and ran all of the pumps except for the rio garbage it would not start have to find a new pump
Old 12/03/2006, 07:39 AM
Moved On

Okay I think you have put alot of work into that and it is comming along very well, but 6 heaters is retarded. You are lucky if you need one 2 to be on the safe side. But 6 waste of money. Everything else is looking good though keep up the good work. I am not trying to bash you at all.
Old 12/16/2006, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

I would be interested in the systems you are using to automate your tank im away some and would like to see your ideas
Old 12/16/2006, 06:10 PM
Moved On

Okay here goes nothing I just cruised through your post again. I am at a loss for words, and not in a good way. Your canpy could house a small city, Why on earth did you do it so big. You have enough plug ins to light new york . I saw what you had planned on plugging in and I cannot fathom why in the worl you have 40 or so plug ins. You said salt crep crashed your last tank by blowing a circut??? So then you once again put everything right under the tank??? should have made a circut box away from the tank since you decided to use all those plug ins. What in the world are you having so many plug ins for??? You are using a reflective silver as a bakground, Maybe you didnt know but alot of fish hate there own reflection and it will stress them out. I dont know what you are doing, You spent so much time and money, but to me it looks like a toatal waste. A automatic feeder?? come on are you kidding ?? What are you doing ?? I am sorry for this post but I just cant shut up. I am going to vomit now
Old 12/16/2006, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

What do you plan on keeping in your tank?
Old 12/17/2006, 03:06 AM
Premium Member

I have to agree with staticx regarding the plugs, background and hood. I would not have chosen U tubes either especially if you're away from the tank for long periods of time. It also seems like a lot of money to spend on something that stays in the garage or is it not staying there? Maybe I missed something. I do love the pvc rack to hold the rock if it works out. I built a rock column and used pvc pipe with holes drilled into it. This allowed me to zip the rock through the holes of the pipe.
Anyway I don't mean to sound mean but overall I just don't get it.
Old 12/17/2006, 04:24 AM
Moved On

Yeah I am sorry if my post seems harsh but looks like alot of uneeded and wasted time and money.
Old 02/07/2007, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

Update
I have been out of town for a while that is what my posts are lacking.
I am in the process of finishing the sanding and re staining of the aquarium stand to match the canopy.
The reason for the canopy being so large is i would like to be able to work inside it easily. It does not look any large than others i have seen on this form
in regards to the GFI's. In the past I had my whole aquarium running of of 2 GFI's. When one of them tripped while I was out of town I lost skimmer/system pumps and heaters. Then my tank crashed.
Now I have almost all of the loads on there own GFI. As you know salt water is extremely conductive. For example if a heater cracks, pumps short, light get wet ect. It will trip it's corresponding gfi and not any other gfi. Also I purchased most of the gfi's and boxes from a friend of mine who owns his electrical business, at a large discount. Also, were the gfi's are located should shield them from splashes and all wire running to them have a drip loop preventing salt creep. Also I have purchased 2 system pumps in case of failure. Another reason for the multiple heaters are: I first purchased 2 of them for for my 90 gallon tank. During the winter I purchased 1 more due to I do not heat that room and the temp falls to a low as 60F. Then i found out 1 was not enough and purchased another one. After that I purchased more heaters due to the refugium.
Old 02/08/2007, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

impressed with your progress. keep posting - i enjoy to see how you are progressing with your project. hopefully you wount experience any tank crashes from here on out. for the na sayers out there, from what you have posted about your schedule and past experiences that is more than enough to explain why you are doing things the way you are. if you think 20 outlets is bad, ive got 90 dpdt relays and 80 lighted switches for my panel that im planning. also as a side note do you know about ranco temperature controllers. i have 3 and they are working great. you might be able to incorperate it as another layer of protection as well.

hijack over .. on ward with your progress!!
Old 04/01/2007, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

update

sanded and stain

Old 04/01/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

wow
Old 04/01/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

i just read all the posts,, are you CRAZY?
Old 04/01/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

wow indeed, i am so sorry to hear all the negative comments.

Of course your build is something along the lines of

im new to saltwater and have tons of money and i love "do it yourself" projects but im super clumsy with power tools......and you get this thread
Old 04/02/2007, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

I too am out of town for work for half the week so I totally understand where you're coming from with your "perceived" over the top precautions. Don't listen to most of these negative comments, these people have the luxury of attending to their tanks daily. The only thing I don't get is why you'd use a siphon overflow instead of drilling that tank. For all your precautions for being away from your tank all week, preventing a possible flood should be at the top of that list. Oh and lose that plastic chain asap. If one of those melts while your out of town, the lights go in the water, but I guess it would be GFCI protected. And for the people bagging on your reflective background....I've had a mirror mounted to the back of my tank for the last 3 years and my fish have never had a problem with it.
Old 04/02/2007, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brucoh
The only thing I don't get is why you'd use a siphon overflow instead of drilling that tank. For all your precautions for being away from your tank all week, preventing a possible flood should be at the top of that list.
I asked that long ago and never got a response. I'm guessing that he's never used a siphon overflow before and doesn't know how problematic they can be.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
-Frank Sinatra
Old 04/02/2007, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

What's the beer bong for?
Old 04/02/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Wow, most excellent. It seems like you've really thought things out. Good for you.
Keep us updated!
You got any other projects? With that kind of attention to detail, I'd love to hear about them.
Old 04/02/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

I recently did a project, too, and know how difficult it is. Looks like your setup is perfect for what you want. Looks like you've got all the right elements. The indicator lights are a great idea. On my last tank (pre-project), I had something trip and didn't know it until the living room started to flood. Keep up the good work and please keep posting pics. I can't wait to see the finished project. It's threads like this that make me read this forum.
Old 04/02/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

I recently did a tank project myself and I know how difficult it is. Looks like your system is perfect for what you want. You've got all the right elements. The indicator lights are a great idea! I had something trip in my last tank (pre-project) and I didn't know until the living room started to flood. Keep up the great work and please keep posting pics. I can't wait to see the finished project. It's threads like these that make me read this forum.
Old 04/02/2007, 02:45 PM
secretary of NCPARS

anyone ever heard of murphys law.all the precaution in the world cant match murphys power to cause random,unplausable,mechanical failure.but it doesnt hurt to try.good luck and please post a pic when u have some animals.
Old 04/02/2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Hmmmm I am at a loss for words, I guess these smiley's best describe what I am thinking.

Old 04/02/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

I think the space shuttle is less confusing, I re-read the entire thread and came to a conclusion........ he is screwing with all of us.....this has to be a April fools joke........?right?.....
Old 04/02/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

waste of money and waste of time and yust waste of everything seriously thats to much for that litttle tank i dont know wher your going to put the live rock at if it fits . with all that money you spent you should buy you a nice desent acrilick tank and some good lights and protain skimmer >>>if you dont know what to dew with your money send it to me!!! seriously