Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/13/2006, 06:31 PM
El Jefe de WRS

it would be easier to make a stepped controller, like what is used in ceiling fans, or just converting to DC motors...

As far as an Aquaclear thread, Ill start one on monday if you all can wait. That will give me time to gather the supplies& photos, and tomorrow I will be getting 6 more aquaclears via UPS. Then I can spend the weekend making shrouds on the dremel router. Frunkster, yourfishman, and ball >>> please join in as well...
Old 04/13/2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Just found this. Could be a possibility for controlling AC powerheads.

http://www.lsicsi.com/pdfs/AN304.pdf

Edit: look here as well http://www.lsicsi.com/acmotor_controls.htm
Old 04/14/2006, 05:42 AM
Registered Member

Old 04/14/2006, 05:46 AM
Registered Member

For wider and softer flow, just put a deflector in front of it, small suction cup will work.
Old 04/14/2006, 05:51 AM
Big 12 Ballin'

Just watch out for curious fish....

how does it stay in the pump anyways?

Good idea for a invert only tank though!

You might be a reefneck!
Old 04/14/2006, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

FYI This mod was brought up on another board and someone replied with a DIY Vortech pump. He didn't post step by step directions, but gave a short paragraph outlining what to do. No mention on how much gph his pump gets, but it actually sounds makeable.

Scroll down the thread until you comeup on a post by liveforphysics.
I think he posts on RC too. He should start a DIY Vortech pump thread on RC.

DIY Vortech
Old 04/14/2006, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

someone needs to start a thread on that.. I'll def be onboard for that one. Sounds like I may have everything I need already to make one, except the magnets. It amost sounds like a mini magnetic stirrer, which tons of people have DIYed.
Old 04/14/2006, 08:31 AM
RC Sponsor

word
Old 04/14/2006, 10:38 AM
El Jefe de WRS

All is see is the modded 802 from a few pages ago...no vortech.
Old 04/14/2006, 10:47 AM
On "The List"

hanmeister, here is the post smells like fish mentioned.

Al G- Be careful, I got flamed super hard for wanting to make some DIY vortech copys by folks on here...

Anyways, it turns out that makeing your own Vortch DIY copys is as easy as doing the maxi-jet to tunez conversion.

Thick acrilic disk with a Ti rod pokeing straight out of it, then a close fitting carbon fiber tube with an RC boat propeller slipped on the top of the tube. At the bottom of the tube you have a little 2" acrilic disk with 2 cutout for CD player lens magnets, or harddrive magnets, or really any little neodimium magnets positioned across from eachother on the outsides edges. Then stick a cover made from a plumbing bell reducer over the assembly just like what the pic you posted uses.

The next part is even easier, take a 2.5" PVC pipe section about 2.5" long. Stick a cheap RC car toy motor mounted in the center of the little 2.5" PVC tube. Stick the 2" disk with equally spaced neodemium magnets flush mounted into opposite sides to mirror the one you made for the propeller assembly.

If you didnt use super powerful magnets for the torque coupleing, then you might need to glue a couple of permanate magnets in approprate places on both halfs to ensure a solid sticking, but with the magnets I use, falling off seemed pretty much impossible, kinda like one of the very strong algea magnet scrapers. Put a thin little bead of silicone around the surfaces that touch the tank anywhere. Let that dry throughly to act like a vibration dampener and ensure silent operation. Now, the alignment is crucial to long happy and silent operation, so spend some time and get it dead nuts.

Also, the bearings in the cheap motor can also be noisey depending on what you got. Some small motors are really quiet with nice ball bearings and you cant hear them at all. Others sound like annoying whiring sounds, but I would say still more quiet that most closed loop pumps. Anyways, then you just supply it with power from whatever source you want, old computer powersupplys work great as a controler with the addition of a little pot interfaced with the voltage regulation circut for speed control. That way your powersupply can stay under $5. There are a zillion other ways to power them, or make your own controler and wavemaker or whatever, but its 3:52am and im tired of typing.

But yeah, thats how to DIY vortechs for about $35, depending on the quality of components you wana use.

Now I supose I will get flamed to death...

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 04/14/2006, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

I'm not going to flame you!
Got photos?
Old 04/14/2006, 11:05 AM
reefaholic

dhnguyen - how about taking a shot at a vortech style device and giving us the details on what parts to use?

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 04/14/2006, 11:33 AM
Moved On

Here's how I think the Vortech works. It is my guess that it's nothing more than a fancy magnetic stirrer with a propeller.

1. You have the external DC motor with magnets attached on the head.

2. The inside half will have a propeller attached to a fixed shaft assembly that has a circular base. This base will have magnets attached to it. So to keep the shaft from wearing out on the casing, you might need some sort of bearing around it.

I'm over simplifying it a bit but I think that's it.

Here look at this.

http://brewiki.org/moin/wiki/moin.cgi/StirPlate
Old 04/14/2006, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Why cant we just drill a bulkhead and mod the maxi through the side of the tank?
Old 04/14/2006, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Why cant we just drill a bulkhead and mod the maxi through the side of the tank?
Old 04/14/2006, 02:01 PM
Moved On

Ah.... I don't think you'll want to drill the tank for that. Getting a water tight seal around the pump would be a PITA for one thing. Then it also becomes fixed to the tank and won't have the flexibility to be mount elsewhere.
Old 04/14/2006, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smells like fish
FYI This mod was brought up on another board and someone replied with a DIY Vortech pump. He didn't post step by step directions, but gave a short paragraph outlining what to do. No mention on how much gph his pump gets, but it actually sounds makeable.

DIY Vortech
That would be so easy to build.. it sounds like he already has it running too. I thought it a DIY vortech would require some kind of feedback to detect if the prop and motor got out of sync but it sounds like no feedback is really necessary...
Old 04/14/2006, 05:56 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by wsc
That would be so easy to build.. it sounds like he already has it running too. I thought it a DIY vortech would require some kind of feedback to detect if the prop and motor got out of sync but it sounds like no feedback is really necessary...

So... Are you volunterering for this project wsc?
Old 04/14/2006, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
So... Are you volunterering for this project wsc?
Yah I am definitely volunteering myself. Gotta finish up my last semester of college before I start up any more projects though
Old 04/14/2006, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

I'm up for the Hagen AQ thread for sure , made a 402 conversion today in like no time at all even with all the alterations to get it right, just need to implement the stopper & were firing on all cylinders

I got myself 1 maybe soon to be 2 more 802 & 2 402's to keep me occupied & so I don't go letting this side of the pond down & go falling behind Hahnmiesters plans

It's been hard enough implementing & reading/keeping up with this thread & the other Maxi mod related ones, now were going to have 2 more to keep up with eh -

1. The worlds easiest stream mod's re the AQ's

2. The hitchhikers guide to the DIY Vortech ??

Should keep me & a few of you busy & the other half's packing

I found some groovy things to make the guards out of for the 402's, "there pipe slaves", I will add photos to my gallery of it & the 402 with it on.

Yes I know its very long & to restricting but it has to go through a weir & still needs attention to the exterior luster department, but hey it works & can be improved upon & I made it in about an hour & a half.
Old 04/15/2006, 04:27 AM
Premium Member

What what what! A new AC thread. OK but we are going to loose some good resources.

D are we ready for this? can hahnmeister lead us to that promise land of 6,000 gph 402s? Will you still accept us back if we fail? So many unanswered questions. Prop size, direction, gph.
No this dhnguyen, we will always love you like a father. But if we must, we must. The day will always be known henths fourth as Black Monday.

Last edited by Roland Jacques; 04/15/2006 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04/15/2006, 04:27 AM
Premium Member

it was bad enough to wright that once but to click twice. im truly sorry
Old 04/15/2006, 10:14 AM
On "The List"

Quote:
Originally posted by yourfishman
What what what! A new AC thread. OK but we are going to loose some good resources.

The day will always be known henths fourth as Black Monday.
Ummm, OK, ummmm, if you insist, but, it's Saturday

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 04/15/2006, 10:42 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by smells like fish

DIY Vortech

funny how anti DIY that board is , seems the mods have told him not to go more in depth on it to protect their sponsors rights
Old 04/15/2006, 10:45 AM
Moved On

You're killing me over here Roland
I'm going to pick up an Aqua Clear or 2 myself

Frunkster and Hahn lead the way, you guys thought of a clever title for it yet?