Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/08/2005, 09:15 PM
Tang Police - What a Joke

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefaholic1980
I am new to the hobby and wanna know more about a calc reactor. I know that it helps supplement calcium, via the media and CO2. How do you regulate this? I am assuming it has to do with the flow on your co2. How long does a bottle of C02 last you?
Lastley i have a 20 gal and wanted to know if i could apply the same principal to some Ro canisters that i have. I am sure i dont need a media holder as big as you guys.
Thanks in advance
Dave
I organally was going to use a old RO Unit. But I couldn't find any adapters to go from the 1/4" holes on the ro unit to the pump. Hopefully you will have better luck find fittings to fit yours.

visit my site dedicated to reef keeping just click on my little red house.
Old 05/09/2005, 10:37 AM
nothing to say here

Ya know, this is absolutely amazing! You've pretty much built a reactor that seems to me to be just as reliable and durable as anything you'll buy in the store for over $300. And you did it for what, about $225 or so?

What system size do you think this baby will handle?
Old 05/09/2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jarhed
Ya know, this is absolutely amazing! You've pretty much built a reactor that seems to me to be just as reliable and durable as anything you'll buy in the store for over $300. And you did it for what, about $225 or so?

What system size do you think this baby will handle?
Actually since most reactors don't come with a regulator, I only have about $130 in to the reactor. The other $80 or so was for the milwaukee regulater. So I built a $300 reactor for way less than $150.

Im not sure what size aquarium it will work on. It is going to depend greatly on how much calcium and alkalinity your system uses. I am planing on putting in on my 120 gallon reef. If you click on any of the pictures in this thread, it will take you to the site of my reef aquarium.

Old 05/09/2005, 11:04 AM
nothing to say here

Man, that is simply amazing. Your putting all kinds of thougts into my head of producing reactors cheaply and selling them for a small profit on Ebay! I'm about sick of the cost of equipment and will gladly lowball the namebrands to produce a quality product and hey, why not make a couple bucks for my time?
Old 05/09/2005, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Tasker, thanks for posting this, this is a great idea, and I already have many of these parts on hand including the chamber!!! As a matter of fact I have two chambers, and may macke a dual chamber!!!

Again, you had a great idead which will save me the cost of a reactor!!!
Old 05/09/2005, 11:59 AM

SR Helloboy

What size system are you planning on using the reactor on? I was thinking about buying another chamber (if this one is not enough for my system) to have more area for the media to circulate threw. It would be really easy to make a two chamber reactor for the main reactor, then have another chamber for the effluent coming out of the reactor to help raise the pH back up.

post a pic if you make it

Old 05/09/2005, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Tasker, the tank I have is 130 gal. just setting it up.
Old 05/09/2005, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

very cool
Old 05/09/2005, 01:59 PM
R33f3r

Something that I am going to have to make soon. Much better then buying one.
Old 05/09/2005, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

I got to tell ya, this thing is working like a charm! My effluent Ph is steady at 6.7 and my effluent output & bubble counter have remained constant. I got it running Sat morning. As far as being sturdy, you could drop this thing from 2 feet and it would probably not skip a beat!.

I'll be adding the second camber this week using the same unit as the first. Then I'll tap the 4 holes on top of each one so it will hang under the tank from a bracket and not take up floor space. This way I can see the chambers better and change/add media like you would change an RO cartridge.

You just built a Ca reactor. It cost half of what a new one would......... It's Miller time

Dragon
Old 05/09/2005, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Maybe this is a stupid question but, do you lose any c02 through the plastic tubing? I heard that c02 kills airline tubing.
Great Idea Though!

RT
Old 05/09/2005, 09:23 PM

SR Helloboy
I think you will be more than happy with this on your aquarium. Once I have had mine setup for a week or so, I'll be sure to let you know how it is working on my 120.

DragonMaster
I am glad this is working so well for you. I just got my new selinode came in for my regulator today. I just finished sitting it up and I'll have to check it in a few hours. What do you have you bubble count at, and what is the flow of you effluent at? You need to get some pics online of it.

Enjoy your Miller Time

RTaylor

You will lose some co2 threw the outlet rose, i don't think there is anything you can do about it. The only thing you can really do is try to make the bubbles as fine as possible. This will allow them to disolve faster so hopefully you won't lose alot of CO2.

Old 05/09/2005, 10:04 PM

DragonMaster

I forgot to ask you a question. What are you using to test your pH? I have been thinking about getting a pH monitor by milwaukee (SMS122 pH Monitor). I didn't know if you had any experience using one of these?

Thanks

Old 05/09/2005, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WmTasker
DragonMaster

I forgot to ask you a question. What are you using to test your pH? I have been thinking about getting a pH monitor by milwaukee (SMS122 pH Monitor). I didn't know if you had any experience using one of these?

Thanks
I'm planning on getting one soon but right now I'm using Selifert kits. That's probably the one I'll get ASAP!

Also my bubble count is at 1 per 1.5 sec. and effluent is right at half way open. This is the same settings I had with the MRC that I cracked. Tank Ph 8.1 - 8.3, Ca 485, Kh 10.5.....

Dragon
Old 05/10/2005, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/sh...egory=37&Sub=1

Excellent job....Unless there was something special about your housing
money could be saved on that part $17.00 above....it is amazing some
of the idea' you guys come up with, very creative...

DaveC
Old 05/10/2005, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/sh...egory=37&Sub=1

Excellent job....Unless there was something special about your housing
money could be saved on that part $17.00 above....it is amazing some
of the idea' you guys come up with, very creative...

DaveC
This canister will work great for you second chamber. But it only have holes for 1/4" threads. I couldn't find anything that could be used as an adapter to go from that small of a hole to the pump. Plus, if you are trying to circulate water through your chamber, you will lose alot of circulation going threw a hose and hole that small.

Old 05/10/2005, 10:21 AM
Hooked on Reefkeeping

The other consideration with the buckeye canister is that it's about a third of the capacity/volume. I believe the canister that WmTasker used is for a 4 1/2 inch filter and the one referenced in the buckeye link is for a 2 1/2 inch filter.

Assuming the canister is 1/2 inch larger than the filter it's sized for, a housing for the 2 1/5 inch by 10 inch filter would hold approximately .3 gallons. The 4 1/5 by 10 inch housing would be .85 gallons.

If you have a small tank, the smaller canister would be perfect.
Old 05/11/2005, 11:55 AM

DragonMaster

Thanks for the info. I tested my effluent yesturday and the pH was actually higher than what the tank was. Go figure. I adjusted the bubble count up some and ordered the sms122. Now Im going to be like a little dog sitting at the front door waiting for my treat to arrive Im going to test the effluent again here in a little bit. Hopefully its lower than the tank water this time.

Who makes the MRC reactor? Do you know where I can look up some info on it online? It would be cool to compare the two and see how this one is working compared the MRC you once had.

Old 05/11/2005, 11:58 AM
picker of the nose

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyPierce
The other consideration with the buckeye canister is that it's about a third of the capacity/volume. I believe the canister that WmTasker used is for a 4 1/2 inch filter and the one referenced in the buckeye link is for a 2 1/2 inch filter.

Assuming the canister is 1/2 inch larger than the filter it's sized for, a housing for the 2 1/5 inch by 10 inch filter would hold approximately .3 gallons. The 4 1/5 by 10 inch housing would be .85 gallons.

If you have a small tank, the smaller canister would be perfect.

not to mention that co2 canisters for paint ball also would be the perfect size
Old 05/11/2005, 12:54 PM

Well I just did some testing. Effluent is at a pH of 7.6. The tank is at 8.2 pH, 360 Calcium, and KH of 4.2. It looks like its time to add some suppliments to the tank. That way once the calcium reactor is where it should, it only has to maintain the cal/alk and not try to rasie it.

I boosted the bubble count up. Its at about 30 bubbles/min. right now. I'll have to test later tonight.

Know-it-all
That would work pretty good for a smaller tank. I wonder if you could find a small needle valve to fit on of those?

Old 05/11/2005, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

There are remote resivoir hoses that come with a needle valve on them, I think you could set it low enough to work. It basically just depresses the schrader valve on the top of the PB tank.

I finished plumbing my reactor last night, I used sch.40 PVC inplace of the Vinyl tubing. I think I'm going to mount the reactor to the wall behind my tank and hang the whole thing from the 4 holes in the top cover. Also I used threaded tees in place of drilling and tapping the elbows. My co2 tank and regulator should be here next week, I'm pretty excited!
Old 05/11/2005, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WmTasker
DragonMaster

Thanks for the info. I tested my effluent yesturday and the pH was actually higher than what the tank was. Go figure. I adjusted the bubble count up some and ordered the sms122. Now Im going to be like a little dog sitting at the front door waiting for my treat to arrive Im going to test the effluent again here in a little bit. Hopefully its lower than the tank water this time.

Who makes the MRC reactor? Do you know where I can look up some info on it online? It would be cool to compare the two and see how this one is working compared the MRC you once had.

Tasker

I ran my Co2 wide open for about 3 min. with the effluent closed to get the pH low. Then opened it to very slllooowww drip for 24 Hrs. after that all my levels came in line. I'm probably just lucky!

Here is the link for the reactor I had. They are an RC sponsor!

http://www.myreefcreations.com/

Dragon
Old 05/11/2005, 01:40 PM

EM21701
Nice to see another person making one. Do you have a camera to post a pic online?

DragonMaster
Once I get my sms122 I will probably do that to speed up the process here. Im just worried about dropping th pH to much, since I don't have a reliable test kit.

I have been to that website before. They actually have really good prices on calcium reactors. I almost bought one of the CR1's, but I really wanted to try to make one more.

Old 05/11/2005, 04:05 PM

Well I started today to put the DIY Calcium reactor on my website. I have all the pictures done. I hope to have the rest of the information later today or tomorrow. check it out

http://www.120gallonreefs.com/diy_calciumreactor.htm

Old 05/12/2005, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

Hey Bro If I asked you to make me one exactly like your how much would you charge me of couse without the co2 bottle coz i know those you can't ship.

Let me know ''Mark