Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/12/2005, 05:30 AM
Registered Member

Something is stressing my clams

I have a total of 10clams of all sizes in my 100G sps dominated tank.

Recently found that two of my clams are showing signs of stress. It has been worrying me. The problem seems to start when I tune up my calcium reactor when I find my tank alkalinity drop to 8dKH. The current dKH is 10 after the tune up The process has taken place in the space of three days.

Here is the look of my derasa previously

Looking in pink health isn't it?

I own her for close to a year. I love my clams as much as I love my sps She has been a fast grower IMO. Growing abt 6" from the day I bought her over.

She has been showing signs of growth recently. Probably that might explain why I tune up my CR, along with the increase in my growth of my sps. But the sight of it now pains my heart.

She has been looking like this most of the time. Occasionally she will open up nicely as what it used to be. When she does, she doesn't gap excessively. But I have been looking at her, with her mantle retracted most of the time

I am worried. I don't wish to lose this beautiful creature. Most of my other clams are fine, except for my crocea which is showing the same symptoms.

I had check the underside of the clams. Can't find any signs of possible parasites attack.

Can someone suggest something?
Old 01/12/2005, 01:27 PM
Defender against ICH

fish

What fish do you have?

"He who has large reef tank has small wallet"
Old 01/12/2005, 01:32 PM
**** your couch

has the circulation in the tank changed at all? Moved rocks, new pumps, etc?
Old 01/12/2005, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

Low alk can do that to some degree. But I agree with above....do you have any fish that could have turned into a nipper? Any angles, blennies, etc?
Old 01/13/2005, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

I have a couple of anthias, & two tangs.

As far as I notice, they has not turn into clams nippling creature

My other clams are fine.

Old 01/14/2005, 03:15 PM
The Original Happy Banana

Croceas are known to gape for whatever reason and then are fine again. Have you been messing with SG at all in your tank? By tuning up your CR, do you meaning increasing it? Have you checked your other parameters? Nothing else has changed?

I'm not sure - you're right, no gaping but mantle retraction. Light response? I would just give it some time!