Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2004, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Clam in a 20long?

Hey,
Im new to clams and new to MH, so forgive me now.

I am going to pick up a 175w Icecap MH setup with a 10k Hamlton bulb in a day or so. this will go over a 20long that i am going to set up. i really would like a clam, such a as a maxima or croacea. do oyu all think it woudl be ok in a 20long? i will probobly have a 10g sump to add some water volume.

i have heard so conflicting arguments about clams in small tanks. what woudl i feed the clam?

thanks,
CJ
Old 01/01/2005, 03:10 AM
Premium Member

Clams eat phytoplankton of a specific size. DT's phytoplankton is what most clam keepers, including myself, use.
A maxima would fit in a 20L, but would end up filling most of the tank (they get ~16"). No other clam species would fit.

Please see the sticky for further information, and consult the archives of Wet Web Media (www.wetwebmedia.com) for more information.
Old 01/01/2005, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

A maxima will be fine in a 20 long (under that lighting) provided all water parameters are stable. YOu must constantly monitor and adjust CA and ALK. In theory they can reach 16". but I've never heard of that in captivity.
Old 01/11/2005, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

I keep a crocea in my 20L, it is only 4" or so. When it gets to be 16" I will trade it in
Old 01/11/2005, 04:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peabody
A maxima will be fine in a 20 long (under that lighting) provided all water parameters are stable. YOu must constantly monitor and adjust CA and ALK. In theory they can reach 16". but I've never heard of that in captivity.
Then you haven't had one long enough :P Though right now mine is probably only ~9. They will attain ~12-16 though, if kept long enough.