Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2004, 03:21 PM
Dragonet Whisperer

Question When should I get my first clam?

I have a somewhat new 105gal reef with dual 250w metal halides. I keep tabs on my calcium and alkalinity and I have a ph monitor on the way. I was planning upon getting either a squamosa or a dersa for my first clam, and placing it somewhere in the lower section of the tank to attach. The tank has been cycled for about a month now and has had corals in it for a week. Is there a certain amount of time that must pass before clams should be added to the tank? Experience with SPS is to wait a couple months for some added maturity. Is this the same with clams?
Old 01/05/2005, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

I have a mentor on my first SW tank guiding me through this first year. They told me, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES get a clam prior to 1 year, and NO SPS until 9 months, LPS & BTA around 5 months (only if you started with all good cured LR), Softies, Zoa's, and Leathers in that order, starting at 6 weeks and go slowly - only 1 or 2 a week.
HTH
Old 01/05/2005, 11:59 PM
The Original Happy Banana

I have to agree with NewbieDeb on most of what she said except about adding anenomes so early. I would recommend waiting.

Your tank is only a month old and finished its initial "cycling" but the cycle has months and months to go before the tank is truly stable. Giant clams are hardy but like everything else, they need a rock stable environment.

Patience is the name of the game here! As has been said many many times, the only things that happen quickly are bad.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I'm being totally honest here for both the animals' sake and yours as well.

Good luck and hth,
John
Old 01/06/2005, 12:35 AM
Dragonet Whisperer

Thanks John and Deb. This new tank is actually just a larger space for the contents of my 30gal reef which was up for over a year and a half before the tank move. Interestingly enough, I was forced to move my anemone into the new tank along with the rest of the livestock, and it is currently doing extremely well. I do have some experience with anemones though, and have had them spawn, split, and triple in size under my care. I will wait until the tank is much more stable before adding a giant clam. Thanks for the help.
Old 01/06/2005, 03:19 PM
The Original Happy Banana

Nate, I just wanted to say that is a beautiful pic. Good job an good luck!

John
Old 01/07/2005, 06:00 AM
Aussie moderator

I would have to disagree with the general opinion, clams are amazingly tolerant of poor water quality and IMO are ideal first additions to tanks provide they pass the basic water tests.
In my last tank, the first additions were 3 squamosas followed a week later by my other dozen or so clams. After another week or so, the first fish was added.
Old 01/07/2005, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

good enough for anemone good enough for clam

-get a squa or ders as first and mostly make sure alk/calcium and other important water params are fine, and get one of size about 4-5 inches, not anything small..

ur good to go !!!!!
Old 01/08/2005, 02:52 AM
Premium Member

My squamosa is doing great after about 2 weeks. The tank is however several years old. Just keep an eye on the calcium, dkh and alk. You will love the new addition. A little DT's here and there and both of you will be happy.
Jeff
Old 01/08/2005, 12:06 PM
Dragonet Whisperer

Thanks for the great advice. I will probably look into a squamosa in a few weeks.
Old 01/08/2005, 05:21 PM
Got Salt!

I would hold off for a whyle, mostly to get used to your set up and trouble shooting equipment, seems like clock work some piece of equipment gets cloged needs to be cleaned...and repaired and what not...also I would concentrate on spending the extra cash on improving your equipment, I dont know what your running but seting up a fuge, or adding flow, can go a long way to improving the health and wellbeing of a new tank....
consistancy of your water parameters is a must maintaing a consistant alkalinity and calcium levls is an indication of a stable system...I would look into a kalk rx and or a calcim reactor if your wanting to keep sps and clams in a 100 gallon tank....I have a 75 packed with sps and clams and my calcium reactor is working overtime to keep the leves consistant...
Old 01/09/2005, 11:16 PM
Dragonet Whisperer

Well My Pinpoint PH monitor came, and I will be setting it up tomorrow. I have decided to hold off on the clam until I can see that my PH, Calc, and Alk levels remain fairly consistent (at least a couple months). I am not a fan of SPS, preferring LPS and soft corals, so the clams would be my largest calcium consumers, so I should be fine without a calcium reactor. Thanks for the advice everybody.
Old 01/10/2005, 12:13 AM
Got Salt!

Cool pinpoints are great I run them on my tanks...Time flys youl have a clam in no time.....keep an eye out for that 2nd algaee bloom...usually you fight one after the tank is cycled...then all will go great for a few months and wham you get hit by the 2nd one, why that is I dont know.....also keep an eye on your nitrates and phosphates ....the nitrats arent so bad clams prefer a small amount ...its the phosphate thats a pain in the backside....so be carefull on your fish levels...and dont over feed......hoepfully you wont have the 2nd algaee bloom then....
Old 01/10/2005, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

I agree with dog on waiting to get used to how your tank works before making the plunge. IN the last 3 months I upgraded from a 45gal to 120gal and everything looks great. SPS and LPS are happy and healthy. But when I was away for a week on new years, of course the tube between my co2 tank and calcium reactor was clogged and my SPS drained the alk in the tank. Everything is fine and rebounded. Also about a month ago my air intake on my protein skimmer was clogged too. But the thing is, is that "sh*t happens" especially with new tanks and new equipment.

Like you I want a new clam bad (last one died from a ruptured rio motor 6 months ago). But I will probably wait another 3 months to get the kinks out of my tank.

The only other problem is my LFS keeps telling me they will be getting a colored teardrop in soon, and that will get me antsy

Good Luck and patience is very hard but is worth it.