Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2005, 01:39 AM
Registered Member.

underwaterexotic if its a standard 90 4mj1200 arent going to do the trick i have 6 in my tank and they just dont do it for the current i want so in my standard 90 i have 6xmj1200 and 1xaquaclear 802. i had a 901 in the tank but that was kicking water over the sides. the 802 is good if anything get yourself 2 or 3 802's and place them but you have to get a strainer for theintake. i have had a few fish get sucked right in. and its a pita but other than that i think mj's in a 90 dont do anything. wave maker or no you will def want more flow.
Old 01/01/2005, 04:05 AM
Registered Member

Posted by melev:
Quote:
RUMOR HAS IT that a 1" model will be released. This rumor has been an ongoing promise all year long, and is basically vaporware. I don't know why there is a delay, but it truly is a shame. If it ever gets released, it is supposed to have threaded ends for easier plumbing assembly.
Actually I remember hearing something to that effect back in 2002. I know this because that was when I was planning a 120 and I wanted a 1" SCWD and was told that it would be out soon. Still nothing. bleh!
Old 01/01/2005, 04:10 AM
TRC Leader

I was told it was coming out in December just recently. Here it is, Jan 1!
Old 01/01/2005, 08:46 AM
Registered Member.

there is a prototype from OM thats being tested by someone and they have it hookd up with eductors. its a modified squirt and its said that its a prototype not a normal squirt

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=23

He is actually not sending me a normal squirt (which we believe would work) but is sending me a modified one with extra magnets

so maybe thats what everyone is talking about.
Old 01/01/2005, 02:55 PM
Team RC Member

Marc,

I've been a fanatic about flow/current in my tanks. As a diver, I realized long ago one of the important things missing is flow rates. The flow is so great on some reefs you can't swim against it, or at least not for very long.

With this being said, I am always looking for a device that will give that very natural back and forth look.

I've built a couple of surge buckets/tanks and those seem to create a good wave, but are prone to failures, blockages, splash...etc.

I wish I could get rid of my powerheads without mortgaging my home. A topic that come up many years ago was noise that powerheads and pumps make in the tank. Since water is a great medium for sound, I think it can carry sound 3 times farther than air. There was a long discussion on how this might affect the animals we keep. so, potentially another benefit to the OM devices.

Later
Matthew
Old 01/01/2005, 03:37 PM
Registered Member.

i plan on getting rid of all powerheads from my tank and having a nice super pump on a closed loop. just not sure how im going to go and plumb it yet.
Old 01/07/2005, 06:24 AM
Registered Member

On my 90 36"x28" I'm planning on using two 3/4" Swirlys in the back corners as my only source of flow. Stick 45 degree elbows on and set them for 90 degree rotation and all spots in the tank should be covered. My plan was to have each swirl on offset patterns. For instance, if the back left was blowing to the front of the tank, the back right would be blowing toward the left of the tank, to create a circular flow, and as they turned this flow would go the other way. I figure slowly the timing would kind of ruin that pattern but that just makes things a bit more random, so no biggie, and it'll eventually come back to the way I originally set it.

Just my opinion.
Old 01/10/2005, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Can anyone tell me where one can get an ocean motion squirt
Old 01/10/2005, 10:18 AM
Registered Member.

there is a website oceansmotions.com i believe go there they have the 4way-8way and squirt there
Old 01/10/2005, 11:21 AM
DON'T PANIC!

does anyone know if the revolutions will work if they are perpindicular to the back of the tank? I have my new 150 drilled.