Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/13/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Docjay, How'd you make the faux sandbed? With aragonite gravel spread over the foam or did you use the epoxy overlay method?

Also, is your tank glass or acrylic?

Thanks!
John
Old 01/14/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

For some reason the coralline algae doesn't seem to grow on the bottom. The fish and snails constantly pick at the "sandbed" so maybe that's keeping it in check. The faux sandbed was made with Envirotek Lite epoxy and araganite sand. I mixed the epoxy in a pail and added the sand to it until it ws the consistency of oatmeal and poured it right onto the bottom of the tank. Then I just kept adding more sand on top until the epoxy no longer seeped through. After it cured I shop vacced out the excess.
The tank is starfire glass.

Jay
Old 01/14/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Jay,

Another quick question. Did you just spray on the foam or did you actually secure it with some silicone?

I sprayed on the great stuff foam (yellow stuff that does break down eventually... ripped it out after roughly 2 years) and it stuck well to the acrylic walls of the tank. I was wondering if you ran into problems on your glass tank.

By the way. It looks awesome. Thanks for the info. on the faux sand bed. I'd like a sandbed without the hassle of a sandbed. Where'd you purchase that envirotek lite epoxy?

Peace,
John
Old 01/14/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

I built the backgrounds out of spray foam on eggcrate. I siliconed them to the glass walls of the tank and then I poured the sand bed. This way the backgrounds are embedded in the sand bed. They aren't going anywhere. I think I posted some pics of the process way back in this thread.
I bought the envirotek lite at Michaels. There's a big thread on Faux Sandbeds somewhere on here on RC.

Jay
Old 01/14/2007, 08:14 PM
Movin' on up!

my new 75g cube
Old 01/14/2007, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

That is a sweet little setup
Old 01/15/2007, 02:14 AM
Chillin'

Has anyone tried spraying the foam into water? I am kind of interested to see what happens.

War does not determine who is right but only who is left.

Cody
Old 01/15/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by docjay
I built the backgrounds out of spray foam on eggcrate. I siliconed them to the glass walls of the tank and then I poured the sand bed. This way the backgrounds are embedded in the sand bed. They aren't going anywhere. I think I posted some pics of the process way back in this thread.
I bought the envirotek lite at Michaels. There's a big thread on Faux Sandbeds somewhere on here on RC.

Jay
Jay,

Just out of curiosity... but how much of the envirotex lite did you end up using? 16 oz or a gallon or more?

Peace,
John H.
Old 01/15/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

John,
I think I used eight 32 Fl Oz kits. That was the largest size they had at Michaels when I bought them. If you decide to do this make sure you read thru the whole Faux Sandbed thread. One fellow had a problem with a cracked tank when he filled it with cold water to rinse it out. I guess the epoxy contracted. I did not have this problem but I used room temp water after reading about his disaster.
I've had no problems with this setup. The corals and fish are healthy. I can see no sign of any toxicity. I let the sandbed cure for a few weeks in the air and a few more under water. It smells quite strong for at least a week so I can see how it might be toxic if you don't allow enough cure time. I would definitely do this again. The absence of a loose sandbed allows me to have a huge amount of water movement in the tank which the corals and fish seem to love.

Jay
Old 01/15/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Jay,

That's great. I'm glad that faux sandbed is working so great for you!

Peace,
John H.
Old 05/10/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

How did everyones foam hold up over the years? I just made a rock I really want to stick in my tank and just wanted to double check.

I just used great stuff on eggcrate with some krylon fusion paint....

TIA
Old 05/10/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Two years now. No problems so far.

Jay
Old 05/10/2007, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

4 years and counting........did get some minor didssentigration of the fom that was not adequately covered in paint. (fusion paint)
Overall the only way to go!
Old 05/11/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks! I'm coating it with a few more layers of paint, and going to bucket test it.
Old 05/12/2007, 05:02 AM
Registered Member

more pics
Old 05/12/2007, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Hmmm?

Has anyone here ever tried inlaying 1/4 in airline tubing in the foam that you could hook a small pwrhead to with spouts throughout the backdrop for extra flow? I am going to give it a shot so Ill let you know hoeit goes.
Old 05/12/2007, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

1/4 gives you no flow....! After 4 months it will be totally clogged and ...literally..no flow.

If you are imb eling it, use at least 1/2"....good Idea though....!
Old 05/13/2007, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gman107
more pics

ahem. Please excuse the micro bubbles. My skimmer is having an off day.

I ended up super glue-ing it to the back wall.

Some pics of the rock itself.