Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 02/02/2003, 02:01 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

hey great job!! i am thinking of DIY'ing a single chamber square one for my buddy since i just got my new tap sets was wondering what you used for the gasket between your flanges???

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 02/02/2003, 02:06 PM
West Coast reefin'

Lunch,

Neoprene. Cut to shape. Works wonders. That is pretty much what I use for any gasket I need to make.

mmm Tap set.... lol

Beauty fades....
Stupid is forever......

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 02/02/2003, 02:43 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

where you get it at???

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 02/10/2003, 07:28 AM
Reformed Delinquent

DJ88,

I started my copy of your fabulous reactor. I was wondering exactly what type of PVC fittings you used between the pump and the chambers. How did you attach the fittings to the chambers to assure good strong leak-free joints?

Mike
Old 02/10/2003, 10:26 PM
West Coast reefin'

Mike,

Where the PVC went through the bottom pieces I tapped them and used MPT fittings to thread through them till the fitting was tight against teh acrylic. Then put a FPT over the open thread which the spray bar is attached to on the outlet side. THe intake side for the pump is a FPTxFPT 1/2" 90 degree elbow with a 1/2" nipple through the acrylic. To ensure a seal I ran a bead of Weld on around the PVC. Where the PVC goes into the pump is a bit more complicated. lol

There is a threaded 90 in there. Into the 90 I put a 1/2" threaded barb. Onto this threaded barb I wrapped a rubber sealant tape around the barb. This taped end was threaded into a 1/2" FPTx 3/4" slipxFPT Sched 80 fitting. This was then slid into a 3/4" slipxslip fitting which has two 1/4" tapped holes for the CO2 intake/water in and the recirculation loop. Into the other side of the slipxwslip fitting goes a second 1/2"FPTx3/4" slip fitting into which a 1/2" nipple goes in. Attched to that is a coupling shich is threaded into the pump. Confusing huh? here's a picture. I can't really explain it any better. Really. lol Wht that whole last bit does is creates a venturi. A small one. But enough to ensure that there is suction going into the pump. This pulls water in from the recirc loop and also assists with the intake of water and CO2 to a small degree I think.

Beauty fades....
Stupid is forever......

Old 02/10/2003, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

nice reactor...tagging along
Old 02/11/2003, 11:54 AM
Reformed Delinquent

While I was waiting for your reply, I stopped by the local Ace Hardware. I picked up a couple of ½“ bulkhead fittings that will work nicely.

I see a narrow-tubed re-circulating loop from the top of the reactor to one of the venturi fittings. I’m guessing this how you recycle excess CO2 from the top of the chamber, this is clever – I think I’ll do that as well. You also use a 2nd venturi to draw water in from the tank. Is this venturi suction alone strong enough or do you also use a Minijet or something to send water to the reactor?

One last question (maybe). Your design includes a lot of fittings and connectors. Is there any salt creep at these interfaces? Should I put a dab of silicone sealer into any of these threaded connections or is the Teflon tape adequate?
Old 02/11/2003, 10:36 PM
West Coast reefin'

Quote:
While I was waiting for your reply, I stopped by the local Ace Hardware. I picked up a couple of ½“ bulkhead fittings that will work nicely.
Good to hear. Much easier.

Quote:
I’m guessing this how you recycle excess CO2 from the top of the chamber, this is clever – I think I’ll do that as well
You can thank Playfair for that little tidbit. I can't claim that one.

Quote:
You also use a 2nd venturi to draw water in from the Tank.
It is actually just the one venturi that I decided to inject the CO2 and water from the tank into. It ws a convenient spot. I normally use a mini jet to feed the reactor. Works great.

Quote:
Should I put a dab of silicone sealer into any of these threaded connections or is the Teflon tape adequate?
I have only ever used teflon tape.

Oh yeah.. one other thing. I am making a slight change to the recirc loop up top. What I plan on doing is enlagring the hole where the fitting then placing a piece of acrylic over top of this to create a small hollow place where the CO2 will collect. That way the intake for the recirc loop is the highest point on the reactor. Then no CO2 at all will collect up on the top.

Beauty fades....
Stupid is forever......

Old 02/11/2003, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

send some plans my way once you get them online.

Yellowtruck75 zdb104@psu.edu
Old 02/12/2003, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

Same here PLEASE send me the plans.

Thank You,

Jerry

jfoster1@midsouth.rr.com
Old 02/12/2003, 12:56 AM
West Coast reefin'

Guys,

If I can cram in some time in between studying for transform calculus tests and doing several hours of electronics and programming homework nightly I'll do them up in Viso.

Where its all square shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the interest.

Beauty fades....
Stupid is forever......

Old 02/12/2003, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

How many hours do you think yo uput into the construction?

Yellowtruck75
Old 02/12/2003, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Darren, looks real nice but where did you manage to find the 1/4" fittings? I've looked everywhere. No luck.

Clinton
Old 02/12/2003, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Great design Darren

Can't wait for the plans

Quick ? you said your running it on a 30gal tank. What was it designed for or does the size of tank matter. The reson I'm asking is I will build one(for my 150) which doesn't seem to be hard at all. Only how do you know what the reactor can handle( my theory is the amount of media).

Thanks Brian

P.s. Stop reading the board and hit the books lol
Old 02/12/2003, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Flyinbrian900rr

[welcome]
Old 02/12/2003, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

hi DJ88,

I'm still a little confused about the workings of a calcium reactor.

Effluent means "processed" water out to tank right?

Could you please explain the vinyl tubings in your design.

Appreciate it!
Old 02/12/2003, 08:50 PM
West Coast reefin'

Quote:
How many hours do you think yo uput into the construction?
Since all the acrylic was pre cut. I'd say maybe three, three and a half hours tops.

Quote:
where did you manage to find the 1/4" fittings?
I did a search for retailers of John Guest Fittings and found a place in Victoria.

Quote:
What was it designed for or does the size of tank matter.
There is two full containers of ARM in that reactor. I am sure it can handle a very large system with a high Ca demand.

Quote:
P.s. Stop reading the board and hit the books lol
Heading back again right now. Have a lot of code to write this evening. Lots. sigh. P.S. welcome the the board.

Quote:
Effluent means "processed" water out to tank right
Exactly.

Quote:
I'm still a little confused about the workings of a calcium reactor.
You are in a great place to learn all about it. Do some searches here and you will find TONS of info. I'd sit an explain it more but I really don't have tons of time tonight.

Quote:
Could you please explain the vinyl tubings in your design.
Ok. First set of tubing is for injecting water into the reactor from the tank. This is fed by a small pump like a mini jet or something like that into the intake of the recirculation pump. A second tube is used for the effluent returning to the tank. A third is for injecting CO2 into the reactor to decrease the pH of the reactor's water, this as well is injected into the intake of the recirculation pump so the CO2 is chooped up into finer bubbles. I have one extra tube running in mine. Is is arecirculation loop that removes any excess CO2 collecting at the top of the reactor and reintroduces into the pump to be chopped up and put back into solution.

HTH

Ciao guys. Need to write some code now.

Cheers

Beauty fades....
Stupid is forever......

Old 02/12/2003, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

thanx for the reply.

which of the vinyl tube is for for injecting water into the reactor from the tank. Is it the one at the top?
Old 02/13/2003, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planetg
thanx for the reply.

which of the vinyl tube is for for injecting water into the reactor from the tank. Is it the one at the top?
The two going to the pump intake are CO2 and water from the tank, the one in the middle at the top is the effluent the second one at the top i beleive is CO2 recirculation.

Clinton
Old 02/13/2003, 02:49 AM
Registered Member

how does the effluent flow back to tank? gravity?

why do we need a pump from tank to push water to the reactor if the venturi should be enough?

thanx for the help.
Old 02/13/2003, 07:22 AM
Reformed Delinquent

Quote:
why do we need a pump from tank to push water to the reactor if the venturi should be enough?
I asked the same question (see above). DJ said he's using a minijet, fwiw i think i'll check mine out and see how much flow I get by venturi alone.
Old 02/13/2003, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

hey DJ I have a question for you.
You were saying b4 about the low bubble rate of CO2 you were using but I did not see a bubble counter in any of your pictures...
???

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02/13/2003, 10:17 AM
West Coast reefin'

Quote:
I did not see a bubble counter in any of your pictures...
I did not see a bubble counter in any of your pictures...

There is one on there now. I didn't have it made prior to all the pics..

Quote:
The venturi I made isn't strong enough to pull water in. If I were to have the intake coming from a higher position and exit into say a sump it may be strong enough. but at the moment it isn't. I only have it running on a 60 gallon tub of LR so it isn't being gravity fed at all.

Beauty fades....
Stupid is forever......

Old 02/14/2003, 09:24 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey can you post some close ups of the bottom of the reactor. I would like to see that a little better.

Also, how did you fabricate the small diameter vertical tube in the "downflow" side of the chamber? A good pic of that would be great too.

Did you say there was a visio or jpg of the design?

Thanks alot for the cool reactor, I may give it a try.
Old 02/14/2003, 09:36 PM
West Coast reefin'

pantinor,

Quote:
Hey can you post some close ups of the bottom of the reactor.
I'll try if Ihave the time. Pretty busy this weekend between school and climbing.

Quote:
Also, how did you fabricate the small diameter vertical tube in the "downflow" side of the chamber?
I didn't fabricate it actually. It was a small diameter piece of tubing. Acrylic or plastic. All it needed to do was act as a guide for the tubing that runs from the effluent outlet to the bottom of the reactor.

Quote:
Did you say there was a visio or jpg of the design?
Not yet. I don't get a lot of free time right now with the course load I am taking at school. I will try tho. It will make it quite easy for those interested in trying this and a lot less of me snapping pics and describing how everything works.. just kidding.. I don't mind at all actually.

Quote:
Thanks alot for the cool reactor, I may give it a try
Anytime. And thanks for the compliments. As I get more info and you build yours let me know how it works.

Cheers.

Beauty fades....
Stupid is forever......