Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

New Fish upside down

I recieved a few things from www.saltwaterfish.com today. I got:

1-Fridmani Pseudochromis (orchid dottyback)
1-Canary Blenny
1-skunk cleaner shrimp
1-Cleaner Clam
3-Emerald Crabs

All looked fine upon arrival except for the canary blenny, it was upside down in the bag, but still breathing and attempting to right itself. I drip acclimated all but the clam, which was floated and then released according to website instructions. They were all drip acclimated for approx. 1hr 30min, inverts a little less. They are all doing fine now except for the blenny which is still upside down, but still attempting to right itself. Since it was being whipped around in the current, I put it in a net, the fish is sitting about 4 in. below the surface. The fish looks extremely skinny, and doesnt seem to be using it's tail much. Could the air bladder have burst? IDK

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

THX
Old 01/10/2008, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

not sure but did you put them in the quarantee or Main tanK?
Old 01/10/2008, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

most mail order fish do this its just something they do in the bag ime
Old 01/10/2008, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

My first question was also going to be, are these animals in quarantine or in the display?

I would be worried if i'd just put an obviously distressed fish into my display.

I've heard some amazing stories of fish being received all but dead, and making it through, but I'd say it's a long shot.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

I put them right into the main tank because it is a new tank, and I dont have anything invested in fish, and my qt is probably way too salty as I have not replaced evaporation at all. I know I should have put them in qt, but lets hope everythin is okay. Also, the fish are aquacultured so there is less chance of carrying diseases.

Kar93: did the fish you had do this recover, if so, How fast?
Old 01/10/2008, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Also, I wasnt the one putting them in, since I was in school, I had my mother do it. I probably wouldnt have put the sick one in the display, but thats okay.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I dont have anything invested in fish
Is it going in this tank?
40 breeder mixed reef 55lbs LR, 10g sump with Cheato, prizm skimmer. Quiet One 1200 return, Aquaclear 70 HOB w/ rubble, 110 watt Coralife PC, 2 15w. NO T-8 for color. Two False Perc., variety snails/hermits, Peppermint shrimp. Macros in Display
Interests: Soccer, baseball, environment

you must have invested something LOL
Old 01/10/2008, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Yes that is the tank, and I do have some invested in it, not compared to some, especially on a highschoolers budget, but the only other fish I have, the false percs, were captive bred from a friend for free. I relaize that the other livestock could be affected as well, but most of the investment in the tank is equiptment, and I hope that there are no problems from the new fish.

Any ideas about the Blenny?
Old 01/10/2008, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

All you can do is wait it out, and try to feed with vitamin/garlic soaked food (if it is able to eat at all).

Doesn't saltwaterfish.com have a guarantee?

Anyway, beyond considering the cost of losing fish, consider that if your fish are all infected, you'll have to leave your tank fish free for 3 months in an attempt to disinfect the problem. Also consider the well being of your clowns. Just because they were free doesn't make it ok to expose them to possible disease and suffering.

Just my opinion. Best of luck with the Blenny.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

All you can do is wait it out, and try to feed with vitamin/garlic soaked food (if it is able to eat at all).

Doesn't saltwaterfish.com have a guarantee?

Anyway, beyond considering the cost of losing fish, consider that if your fish are all infected, you'll have to leave your tank fish free for 3 months in an attempt to disinfect the problem. Also consider the well being of your clowns. Just because they were free doesn't make it ok to expose them to possible disease and suffering.

Just my opinion. Best of luck with the Blenny.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Yes, it does have a guaarantee,I will see if it will eat at all.

I realize that there would be other losses than just the money, and I appreciate your concern, will do differently next time, But lets hope there are no problems.

There are no visible marks of disease...so hopefully it is just stressed out from the shippment. Like I said in the original post, could it be possible that it's airbladder burst, because it is unable to stay upright, and it is very skinny

Thx for the help
Old 01/10/2008, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

mudskipper1, if that kind of thing happens again I would just get the fish into the tank (preferably quarantine) and not do any acclimation. The condition of the water when they arrive is bad and they are better off getting out of it right away.

You might try gently moving the fish forward through the tank and since it's in a net that shouldn't be too hard to do, then repeat a few times - make sure to do so head first.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

That's us poprobably not a bad idea, may help move some oxygen over the gills, but no experience with that.

Not sure about your air bladder question either.
Keep us posted.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, that is a good idea, however, I did not do the acclimation, since i was in school, my mother did. I will try the moving forward thing, do you know why this will help?

It did not show any interest in the food, but no change in condition either
Old 01/10/2008, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

oh, okay i will go try it.

posted right after dcombs44
Old 01/10/2008, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

moved back and forth, no obvious change, still breathing, but not trying to right itself, not looking too good.

I dont think there is much I can do but wait.

thx for the help though. Ill keep you posted.

Exciting day on the reef, got new stuff, and my kenya tree coral dropped it's first two frags. I rubber banded them to rubble, The unhealthy fish was kind of a bummer, but nothing I could really do.

Thx again
Old 01/10/2008, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

when I first started, i took out a couple rocks to do a good water change. i couldn't find my blenny ANYWHERE. I looked in the rocks I took out, the rocks in the tank...couldn't find him. then, a couple minutes later he plopped out onto the counter. I tried to scoop him up then he plopped on the floor! I threw him back in the tank. I felt horrible! for 1-2 weeks, he wasn't doing too good, his belly was all sunken in. I thought I'd killed him for sure.

A year later, he eats anything you put in the tank, and is super fat! healthy and happy

Sorry Walter! glad you pulled through!
Old 01/10/2008, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Its always better to put in QT. Lesson learned about that. He will know next time and be prepared.

It's always good to have an extra tank and heater laying around, and keep sponge in the sump (you have to clean it out every week or so) just for this sort of thing. A 20 gallon long works great for about every type of smaller fish. little more swimming room and big enough for multiple fish, imo.

Good luck with the little guy and hope he pulls thru.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

Well, it's an old trick that we used in the good old days (10 years ago) when I worked an an LFS. Actually, you only move the fish forward, then sort of lift it and put it back to the original place and move it forward again and repeat. Might help to get more oxygen through the gils.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Well, unfortunately the blenny died today while I was at school. The rest of the stuff I got is all doing well. I dont see any signs of illness in the other fish yet so hopefully it is okay, knock on wood.
The orchid dottyback started eating today, and is becoming slightly less skitish.

I do have a 29 setup with a HOB filter and a bubbler, but its params were all screwed up so I didnt use it. Plus I am getting a baby Seahorse soon so I didnt want to get any diseases in there either.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

sorry to hear that Eric, sometimes there is just nothing you can do. shipping is hell on these poor creatures.