Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/24/2007, 04:17 PM

that "design" is just a mockup. In my situation, I would have 3 on the back an two on the front side corners. Overflows are built in different manners so that is just a representation of how I like mine. I do not like deep overflows and the one on my current tank only has about 4 - 6 inches of water in it. Makes it much easier to keep clean.

You don't need an "overflow" to build a wave box, so no, you wouldn't need that on the sides.

The wave boxes I have seen are open topped but I have to imagine that flow throught th etank wall at the top would be needed. All you have to do is contact Roger @ Tunze and ask him about it. I will be doing the same.

The design mockup has not been evaluated yet. I am planning on scabbing one onto my current tank for testing purposes within a couple months, so I should be able to better answer questions about it then. But, there are already some wave tanks around.
Old 12/24/2007, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, keem me posted... if you don't mind

and on a side note, I started reading your thread and after 80 pages I gave up... I will finish it some day...
Old 12/24/2007, 04:56 PM

My thread will put you in the nuthouse. I don't recommend reading it to anyone.
Old 12/24/2007, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

ROFL )
Old 12/25/2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

I am with you on no exposed equipment in the tank, but as stated you can hide the wave boxes pretty easily. And the wave box extentions are simply another wavebox without a controller. You just hook them all into one controller and go.

And you can hide a tunze on a waveysea as well. Two ways Ive done this are to get a tunze rock(or just zip tie a few rocks around your tunze) and glue some frags to it and go. It actually is pretty neat seeing a rock covered in zoo's rotate about.

The other way is to use a PVC pipe to extend the waveysea output down into your rocks and just stack your rocks around it with a ledge overtop. Trust me unless your looking for it you wont see it. I do this with most powerheads anyway.

And just a note the waveysea/seaswirl does not have to be hooked to any return or anything. In a few cases they are simply used to rotate the power head.

Its all a matter of placement and spending some time with your rocks. Trust me on this one, if you just get a basic idea of what you want, then place your flow devices, then work the rock around it, it will work out. If it doesnt take it apart and start over. Spending a whole day...or two...or three even..on your rockwork will pay off.

And dont just give up and go, thats what happens and people get a wall of rock at best and that looks like crap and there is alot of it
Old 12/25/2007, 06:28 PM

I think I would use Penductors and a pressure rated pump on a Wavy Sea to get maximum flow through the water column.
Old 12/25/2007, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

I will most likely use Penductors again, probably on both the returns and closed loops... Hidden by rocks... of course
Old 12/25/2007, 07:36 PM

just have to make sure they don't point directly at any corals.
Old 12/25/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Red leg

Well Harley guy I have to say i miss artillery so much. I have been out since 2001 and i still have dream of shooting and the true friends i made while i was enlisted. Thank you very much for keeping are families safe. Be proud and stand tall for the rest of us! Send one down range for me please!

SSG Braham
1/7 FA
THANK YOU
Old 12/25/2007, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

I would love to send one for ya, but unfortunately I am here in a different capacity. It seems that the "King of Battle" makes a really good MP... That's all I have to say about that....

Thanks for the kind words...
Old 12/25/2007, 07:57 PM

What he said!

reefgeek31:

[welcome]
Old 12/25/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Well if you ever get back over to the gun let fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What are they using these days, when i got out the paladin was still new. I still miss my A3. Nothing like a good advance party and running aiming poles. Wait you might think i am crazy and never heard of any of that old school tech!!!
JUST PLAYING
MP ARE NEEDED ALSO (I GUESS)
KING OF BATTLE SHOOT MOVE COMMUNICATE
Old 12/25/2007, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

Paladin A6 here...

Trust me I will send them down range when I get back
Aiming poles??? Oh you mean those red and white javelin looking things.... right? LOL

"We Here and Strike"
Old 12/25/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

dude i just started to read thies add and man thies guy got some issue (deadatbirth) sorry for the late comment........... but it looks like hes one of that guys that think hes a marine or in the service, but hes not fit enough to past pt so he got kick out................. sorry for the mean comment but im in the srvice my self and i hate people pretending that hes in the servise.......
Old 12/26/2007, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

It's not that big of a deal to me, I know where I am and what I've done, and I'm happy with the choices I've made. I am also happy with this choice and feel the tank will give me much more enjoyment (and heartache) over the long run.

P.S. Thank's for YOUR service.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

cant wait for this setup to get going should be preety impresive and good to follow. as for the choice... car/tank. i went for a cheaper car. nd a nice new tank

ad
Old 12/26/2007, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefgeek31
Well if you ever get back over to the gun let fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What are they using these days, when i got out the paladin was still new. I still miss my A3. Nothing like a good advance party and running aiming poles. Wait you might think i am crazy and never heard of any of that old school tech!!!
JUST PLAYING
MP ARE NEEDED ALSO (I GUESS)
KING OF BATTLE SHOOT MOVE COMMUNICATE
Here's a little something for ya...

and the history...

Enjoy
Old 12/26/2007, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

So that's how you make a Koi pond....
Old 12/26/2007, 09:31 PM

That was Beautiful.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Wow you want to talk about goose bumps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My wife asked what was wrong as a tear ran down my cheek!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! I WILL ALWAYS HOLD THOSE DAYS CLOSE TO MY HEART!!!!!!
IT TAKES A SPEICAL MAN TO BE A RED LEG (KING OF BATTLE)
Stay safe brother
Thank you
Old 12/26/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

oh ya a lot of those where for a A3 how did you get footage of them!!!????
Old 12/27/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the video. Very cool!
Old 12/27/2007, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

I got that video from my BC; he got it from someone and so on. I watch it all the time and if I'm doing a casual PowerPoint I like to start with it.... Very motivating especially for FA guys... Infantry doesn’t seem to hold it in very high regards... I can't imagine why... LOL
Old 12/28/2007, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

this is going to be an awsome setup and yes i would have chosen the reef over a stupid car lol. thankyou so much for serving our country with out you guys there would be no freedom. so thankyou so much i wish there was a way to thank you guys more
Old 12/28/2007, 03:53 PM
SMBS

Great thread!

If there is one thing I've learned from this thread so far it is the following:
The Army pays you officers way too much money to sit in the TOC all day and chat on RC. J/K However, as a fellow Guardsman getting ready to deploy as well, I must say this is a worthwhile venture and I'll be following along to provide assistance in planning this beast as best as I can.

As a former artilleryman (13E on M198's both Airborne and Leg units) and now a straight grunt infantryman, I must say the infantry is way more rewarding. Even though putting rounds down range, blowing stuff up, and enjoying that wonderful smell of "wolf *****" was a blast, the infantry is where it's at. Besides unless you're an FO you'll probably never get to see you own dirty work . Although in the end, when it comes time to deploy, we almost all become some form or fashion of MP anyway, so does it really even matter?

I haven't even left yet and I'm already planning my next big tank upon return. We have very similar plans as far as dimensions and other specs.

You should seriously consider working Waveboxes into your design as suggested earlier. If you plan them into your original design you can have them fill the spaces left around overflows and use false walls to hide them so they do stick out. The flow they produce by using the intrinsic functions of natural waves is just unmatchable. I would complement them with enductors of some sort on an Oceansmotions possibly even on just the returns and avoid closed loops entirely. This of course, depends on how much flow you want to run through your sump and other basement tanks.

One last question, do you have a tank setup back home right now? I'm quite nervous about leaving mine running while I'm gone for a year with just my wife and a couple club buddies to watch it. What do you think? "Check or Hold?"

Later,

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."

Last edited by Reeferhead; 12/28/2007 at 03:58 PM.