Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2005, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Talking Orangespot Diamond goby...

Just added a huge 3.5-4" diamond goby to my tank. Man, this guy is a riot!!! Throwing sand left and right, building forts, sifting thru sand for food, etc. What a character. The sandstorms are frequent now but are subsiding already on the first day as he sifts thru the tank. As I only have a 1.5" sandbed, he won't go too far down. My plate coral loves him, as you could imagine. In reality, he doesn't bother the plate coral at all as far as I've seen. Only thing is, other than sifting sand, I haven't seen him eat anything yet. I usually feed just formula one pellets (red sea sailfin, blue tang, now him) but he was too busy building his "fort" to notice the pellets floating nearby. What do you diamond goby owners feed to them? How do you get food to the bottom quickly before the other fish finish it off? I couldn't imagine them sustaining solely on the sandbed, and they aren't like mandarins that require solely pods...
Old 09/04/2005, 10:28 AM
Moved On

very cool fish with great personality
Old 09/04/2005, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Watch out they are jumpers ,I found mine on the floor a couple of days ago.He was a cool fish
Old 09/04/2005, 07:16 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Ditto the jumper warning. Make sure to cover your aquarium ASAP!
Old 09/05/2005, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I saw him nosing around near the surface. I have a canopy on, a custom plastic cover over the overflow box, and the back side of the open canopy comes up almost 5-6 inches above the tank. If he jumps, he's either hitting the middle support brace, or the canopy. So far, only a day later, he's doing well, already eating and digging around. This guy even picks up and moves hermits! LOL
Old 09/12/2005, 09:33 AM
WRS Member

Mine jumped out within just hours of being added to the tank. After acclimation, it still seemed really freaked and stressed out in the tank. It started acting very strange, erratic, swimming at the top of the tank with it's head straight up. Thought the eggcrate would keep it safe. Must have been searching for a way out relentlessly, because I found it lying on top of the eggcrate a few hours later.

Is there another different sand-sifter that's not so erratic, like a Twin Spot or something?
Old 09/12/2005, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

1 of mine just jumped last night, right through the egg crate. i'm bummed because it came as a pair with another and the 1 is by itself now. i'm not sure why because all was well and the gobies had been in the tank for awhile (the tank's only other inhabitants were an ember blenny, cleaning crew and corals). but if you've got a plastic cover you shouldn't have the jumping problem. good luck with it because they're cool fish.