Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks

Old 01/18/2005, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Thoughts on epoxying a clam in place?

Just got a new crocea yesterday. Having a hard time getting a good home for him on my rockwork. Keeps falling off. Would it be a big deal to epoxy the side of his shell to the rock to keep him in place. Most of my rockwork slants down, with no real falt surfaces. The base would still be against the rock. I'm sure once it's footing digs in, it won't go anywhere. I'm tired of picking it up off the bottom.
Old 01/18/2005, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Im not positive if it is good or bad but I would guess that It would end up being extremley irritating and it could result in its death. My clams like to move thier shells frequently. I personally wouldnt do it.
Old 01/18/2005, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Why don't you build a ledge with epoxy, slightly indented, and put the clam on it (after it dries). In a few months, the epoxy will grow over with coralline and look natural. Plus, if you do it right, the clam will hide the epoxy.
Old 01/18/2005, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Too late. Little bugger already set it's foot down. That was quick. Less than 24 hours. He must like his spot. Probably digging those 400 watters beamin down on him.

I do like the epoxy ledge. That's a good idea. If I get another one, I'll have to give that a try.
Old 01/18/2005, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

glad to hear he attached