Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2005, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Flame Scallop

I just purchased a lfame scallop. I know you are going to tell me I shouldn't have, but too late.
I have a couple questions about them.
What causes ( for a lack of better words) the electric current I see?
I have read some of the articles posted here and was wondering what DT stands for?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01/06/2005, 12:40 AM
Premium Member

It's not too late. Take him back. (They have horrible survival rates in captivity...usually not lasting past 6 months.)

There is no actual current. It's just his mantle tissue.
Old 01/07/2005, 01:42 PM
cubed

DT's is a brand of phytoplankton and is not going to cut it for that particular creature.
Old 01/08/2005, 02:44 AM
Premium Member

Flame scallops are very hard to keep. Your best bet is to take it back and get something else. They will die out for unknown reason. You can target feed, add alot of light and good flow but it will still die out. Don't know why but, just does. If you keep it, good luck and keep us posted on your progress or digress. I would love to be able to keep one but cannot. After about 6 months repost with results, very curious about your finding.
Jeff
Old 01/08/2005, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Flame Scallop

Now what good would it do to bring it back? I would get half the $ I paid for it so it can go into someone elses tank to perish. Bringing it back wouldn't change the outcome.
Old 01/08/2005, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

It sends a message to the stores that they should reorder because there is a demand. (you bought one, better order another)

Besides, half your money back is much better then a dead scallop fouling up your water in a few months
Old 01/08/2005, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

It may send a message, but won't do much good unless they are banned completely by government(s). There are many marine creatures that have just as much of a low survival rate such as the moorish idol, sea horses etc., but you don't see many stores not selling them.
You also don't read much of the success stories about these delicate creatures. It is human nature to talk about the negative side of things. Maybe we should hear more possitive stories.
I will take my chances. rather it die in my tank than someone elses.
Old 01/09/2005, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

How long do they typically live for in the wild?
Old 01/09/2005, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Either way you go, good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 01/11/2005, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

why did you buy it if you knew it would die??
If you didn't know it would die why didn't you research about it first. thats responsible reef keeping. If you knew it wouldn't survive then you wouldn't buy it,, if you didn't buy it then thats one less the stupid LFS would order. point blank.
Old 01/12/2005, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

flame scallop

Why did I buy it? I thought it was cool looking. Did I research it? Yes I did. Is it doing well so far ? Yes it is.
Tell me John...did you ever buy anything that had a low survival rate? You can't tell me alot of you guys haven't bought fish, inverts, corals with low survival rates. That's like saying we don't wank.
Old 01/12/2005, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

i had one for 2 years and the only reason it died was some bleach was spilled im my tank and my tank crashed....everything died(3years ago)....who knows how much longer it would have lived!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01/15/2005, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

I have one and lives in my refugium. I've had it for about a year now. I don't feed it at all, and it is doing fine. What I can tell you is this, they don't like a lot of light and they prefer dirty water. I guess in my refugium the water is not as clean as my tanks. Oh, crap he's dead!