Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2005, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

how long before a maxima will attach

i was wondering how long does it take for max clam to attach he was added to the tank just before christmas and it only 1inch i have put him on the rocks and it jumps i put in on a flat peice of rock in the sand but still not attached thank you
Old 01/08/2005, 12:39 AM
Got Salt!

Hard to say I have had one attach within hours and some that never wanted to attach,..
Old 01/08/2005, 05:21 AM
Registered Member

They attach fairly wuickly in a matter of hrs, If they aren't happy where they are, they won't attach.
Old 01/08/2005, 05:34 AM
Flea Slide

It really depends on how much damage has been done to the attaching leg when removed and moved around and also if it likes the place it is in.
Try to place her in a concave bed to keep her in place. They frequently squirt and when doing some can jump a litlle which makes them fall.
If necesary take some base rock, drill small holes for it to insert some toot picks vertically around the clam location to keep her in place (like a fance) until it attaches then just remove the toot picks. Give it some room to open and close.
Old 01/14/2005, 11:10 AM
In Too Deep

I'm having the same exact problem with my new (my first) maxima. The store where I bought it said it would do better high in the tank at first. It seemed to be opening up fine but now that it has "moved itself" to the sandbed, it seems more open. Is it bad to leave a maxima on the sandbed? Does it matter where in the tank it is? Ti says they wont attach if not happy. It spent a good 24+ hours in one spot about mid way up in the tank and never attached. Any more suggestions. I want this guy to be happy as a calm. Pardon the pun. That was pretty bad.
Old 01/14/2005, 11:25 AM
Flea Slide

If it is more open on the sand bed might be that it is because is not getting enough light. Note that most of the time they do not jump of on purpose, remember that clams squirt once in a while, if not attached they will fall. I would take it back to a higher level in the tank.
Old 01/14/2005, 01:51 PM
In Too Deep

jdieck...thanks for the response. That makes sense.

Do you, or anyone else, have any ideas about how to make it stay until it attaches? I have looked everywhere for a spot to wedge him without restricting growth too much but it has hopped off or been pushed off every time. The toothpick idea would work but I cant remove any rock from the tank to drill it.

Thanks for any suggestions. He is still on the sandbed but I want to move him ASAP.
Old 01/14/2005, 02:05 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefWaters
jdieck...thanks for the response. That makes sense.

Do you, or anyone else, have any ideas about how to make it stay until it attaches? I have looked everywhere for a spot to wedge him without restricting growth too much but it has hopped off or been pushed off every time. The toothpick idea would work but I cant remove any rock from the tank to drill it.

Thanks for any suggestions. He is still on the sandbed but I want to move him ASAP.
Can you get a new rock? Does not have to be large just a bit flat so you can go ahead with the toothpick idea.
Old 01/14/2005, 03:06 PM
The Original Happy Banana

I don't know of many clams that will attach in just a few hours. Usually it takes days and sometimes weeks. The key is to make sure the clam is happy. If not happy, it will move:
1. maximas are rock-loving clams but do absolutely fine on the sandbed. I've had mine in sand for their entire life. Just make sure to either have it on an oyster shell or to have the byssal gland buried in the sand to protect it.
2. Flow - not a whole lot. If it ruffles the mantle much = too much
3. Light - all clams love light (to different degrees) but you have to remember where it came from -- if from LFS where light was inadequate, you have to reaclimate it to the light. That is probably why it wasn't happy high on the rockwork. Make sure it is positioned ok in the sand and leave it alone. It will show whether or not it is happy.

One of the coolest things I've seen in a tank is an 8 inch max. clam hopping along the sandbed (albeit slowly). Freakin' amazing.
Old 01/14/2005, 03:35 PM
In Too Deep

Okay, I think I might try him on a flat rock that is right on top of the sandbed. Im going to try to get some small pieces of rock from the fuge to surround him and keep him in place.

I got him from Cappaccino Bay in Atlanta. They had him under what I think is a 1000W 20K (if they even make that lamp) pretty high over the tank. He was about an inch or so under the surface. My lighting is a 250W 10K XM and 2 x 75w VHO Actinics. I have a good bit of light even at the sandbed so I think he will be just fine. Does anyone disagree? He looks great as of now and has been in the tank for 2 weeks.

So it sounds like the clam was moving himself and not a snail doing it? I guess there is no way to tell unless I saw it, and I didnt.

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming.