Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2005, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

Well attached Maxima

I have a well attached maxima about 4 inches long on a rather large rock. I would like to remove it but would be just as easy to break the rock and then just keep the part that it is still attached to. I don't thing i can get to the strands underneath to cut because the calm is in the rock not just on it. Also how long can they be out of the water to do this. Thank you JOE
Old 01/11/2005, 03:30 PM
m0derated

Based on your description, I would definitely try to preserve the clam's connection to the rock. Although, once you move the clam to a new location, it might decide to detach itself anyway. I would think the clam can be out of the water long enough to (carefully) break the rock.
Old 01/11/2005, 03:54 PM
Team RC Member

You can have the clam out of the water for sevreal minutes no problem.

Some clam farms take the adult breeder clams out of the water and set them in the sun to heat up.

Then when placed back in the water much cooler now, they spawn from stress.

5 minutes is
no biggie.

Rob
Old 01/11/2005, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Thank you!
Old 01/11/2005, 04:55 PM
**** your couch

It's probably not ideal, but if you had a clam stuck on your liverock, and you moved the rock into the shade, or just rotated it upside-down, would this facilitate the clam 'letting go'?