Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/07/2008, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

TBS, Tank Cycles, Cynobacteria and you.

Got my TBS rock in just before the new year and had some questions about the tank cycle. I've been keeping the ammonia levels <1ppm according to their instructions. Actually its between .4 and .6ppm steady. I have a large breakout of that brown algae all over the glass/sand/rock. Is this a normal part of the tank cycle? Which part/how far in am I? My nitrites are barely detectable, ~.1ppm
Old 01/07/2008, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

pictures would help but it sounds like you have diatoms - which will go away in the next few days. Did you go with the package or just the LR?
Old 01/07/2008, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
pictures would help but it sounds like you have diatoms - which will go away in the next few days. Did you go with the package or just the LR?
I went with the package minus the live sand. I had some sand from the gulf I wanted to use. I am at work so I cant get pictures but it looks like this:

I also use an RO/DI filter from AirWaterIce for water.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

it's been a while but to me that looks like diatoms. Cyano typically has more of like a silky kinda texture...and is colored differently.

You don't talk about what kind of flow you have in the tank - unless your gut-loading the tank with nutrients, high flow generally discourages the cyano growth.

The diatoms will resolve themselves in a few days. Just monitor the water params until they stabilize then have them ship ya part 2!
Old 01/07/2008, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
it's been a while but to me that looks like diatoms. Cyano typically has more of like a silky kinda texture...and is colored differently.

You don't talk about what kind of flow you have in the tank - unless your gut-loading the tank with nutrients, high flow generally discourages the cyano growth.

The diatoms will resolve themselves in a few days. Just monitor the water params until they stabilize then have them ship ya part 2!
Thanks. I'm excited about part 2. I wonder what kind of neat things it will contain. I found two large mantis in ONE of my pieces of rock (one of the large ones). I took the piece out into my mixing tub and shoved air tubing in the holes until they finally came out. Man those things are fast. Scared the **** out of me. I still hear one mantis in my tank clicking away but I dont know where he is.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Not to startle you - but I had zero in part 1 and five in part 2. They do not grow big and are the smasher types. I sold them to a local reef club for their raffle or something. While i had them I enjoyed watching them beat up on whelks in the sump.

They are indeed fast and are quite intelligent and have keen eyesight. Some folks set up tanks just for them - so if you do have an extra- I'm sure you'll find someone to take them off your hands.

Regarding the last one - it is quite possible you have a pistol shrimp rather than a mantis. After 4 plus years - I know my pistol is still in there but no idea where. No invert deaths - so guessing it survives on something else. Another tbs owner - she had a huge pistol - bigger than the mantis I had caught. I dunno how she missed it but it was in her display...

Mind you these pistols (from the gulf) are not known to have the symbiotic relationship with a goby.

Good luck - the guys (and gal) down at TBS are really great and my part 2 had plenty of extras. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
Old 01/07/2008, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
After 4 plus years - I know my pistol is still in there but no idea where.
Those TBS pistols are elusive. I got some TBS rock a few months ago, just rock not a package, anyway I know ones in there from finding molts and clicking but haven't been able to locate him. I wouldn't take it out though cause I think they're cool. Anyway enjoy the rock. concrats