Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Clam lost his foot?

I've had a crocea clam in my tank for about 4 months now. He has been doing great! About 3 day ago I noticed that he kept tipping to his side. About the same time a noticed what looked to be the foot (almost looked like a snake without a shell or head) and a crab was eating it. I took it out, but it did not smell bad, so assumed it was not dead tissue. Anyway, can clams shed it foot, and if so how long will it take to grow back?
Old 10/31/2007, 11:40 AM
Team RC Member

sounds like the byssal threads. the threads are a glandular secretion the clam puts out from the byssal gland (foot) and they can drop them and regrow them no problem

------------------------------------------------
Old 12/15/2007, 09:19 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

Why would a clam drop its threads?

One of my crocea also did this. It was anchored under the sand for about a year and recently started moving, then just tipped over. I noticed it was no longer attached. I moved it to another spot on the sand, and it now lays on its side. No byssal threads now. It is opened, though.

My other crocea (a bit smaller, maybe 4") now has been moving on his rock from his original place. He now is near the edge of the rock, and on his side. I am afraid he will soon fall to the sand and I won't be here (leaving town for a week.) Should I do something?

Thanks!!
Angela
Old 12/16/2007, 07:01 AM
Team RC Member

they could do it for many resins, like changes in lighting, flow. i dont think you can do much to stop them but i would prop them up so they are pointing towards the light

Old 12/16/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

The most common reason for them to move would be not enough light.
1.) Have you changed your light since you got the one year ago?
2.) Grab some of your water and check how clear it is. Might be brownish, and loosing lots of light to refraction.

Just two ideas.
Old 12/16/2007, 01:26 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

Well, I wasn't running carbon or phosphate media for a little bit, but I am now. The bulb has been replaced, but with another of the same (250w de geisseman megachrome coral bulb on pfo hqi ballast.)

I'm currently fighting with algae. Is it possible that they don't like to be around algae? It is on their shells

I have just added a phosban reactor (last night), and i'm running the effluent through carbon. I recently lost a fish (foxface) and I am suspecting dinoflagellates??? (I removed the fish to quarantine and it died the same day. my non-algae-eating clownfish are fine.)

I have no hermits and just two snails (cerith). Just the two clownfish, who do in fact host the clams.

other thoughts?

And, should I cut the threads the one is hanging by and move him? He is going to fall (about 4") to the sand. I could cut the threads and move him higher in the reef.

I leave town next Wednesday, i'd like not to make many more changes before I go.

thx.
-A
Old 12/16/2007, 04:39 PM
Keeper of the clams!!!

yes if you have a clam that is just hanging there you should cut the threads. can you post pic's of your clams?

That should fix it everything right???
Old 12/16/2007, 11:08 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

I will make a thread cutting attempt after my final tomorrow. I'm scared to do anything drastic because i'm not going to be here for a week after Wednesday. I assume this will be less stressful than a fall??

I would post pix, but I can't find my camera adapter. I have pix from the other week, though, in my thread here:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=974585

It's the green clam in the front that is on the edge and ready to fall... pic was taken on the 1st of December. They still look the same (I am familiar with pinched mantle and all that. No signs of those types of trouble.)

-A
Old 12/16/2007, 11:41 PM
Team RC Member

cutting the threads wont cause any stress as long as you do it as described above

Old 12/17/2007, 05:34 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

Ok, clam has been relocated to the top of the reef.

Thanks!
Angela
Old 12/17/2007, 05:42 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

Wow, immediate happy response. It was a little closed today> I think it wanted to let go but was afraid to fall, lol!!

Opened within 10 seconds of the move. Looking great!

The clownfish, which hosted both clams, are a little confused about where the other went (you know clowns have a small territory.)

-A