Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2007, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

Help with getting sump into stand.

Hello,

I have been viewing this wonderful site for months now and I must say I'm very impressed, not only with the reefs but with everyones ability and desire to share your secrets. You have helped me more than you can know. My reef and I would like to thank you. I would also like to thank Melevsreef.com it has been a huge help as well.

I have a 150 gallon tall reef tank (I believe the specs are 48" long 36" tall and 24" wide). I have decided to make a sump/ref. and I'm going to do it with a 40 gallon tank and acrylic. My problem comes in with the stand. I saw how Melevs did it by cutting an opening in the end of your stand to get your sump in and I loved the idea.

But I'm not familiar with woodworking or anything that deals with it. The major diff. between my stand and Melevs (noting your directions) is that you had a wooden support frame. My stand does not have that frame. How would you get around this dilemma? I would like to thank everyone in advance for any help you can offer.

Smile, God loves you!
Old 09/04/2007, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

Pics....need some pics of your stand to give some advice. pics of the outside and inside if possible.
Old 09/04/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Also, is the 150 set up or is it empty? If it's empty, you may be able to get the sump in through the top. Just a thought.

Yes, I really do design rockets for a living.
Old 09/04/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for replying, The tank is set up and has been for about 1 1/2 yrs. I just drained most of it took out the LR and all the animals to move it to the other wall but I couldn't get enough help to pick the tank up to do that. As for pics I will get some up as soon as I can get a camera.

Smile, God loves you!
Old 09/04/2007, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

I'm also watching for answers - I have a very similar problem. I've also seen some pictures of people who cut a hole in the side of their stand, put the sump in and repatch the hole. To me, this seems like it'd compromise the integrity of the stand.
Old 09/11/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
I'm also watching for answers - I have a very similar problem. I've also seen some pictures of people who cut a hole in the side of their stand, put the sump in and repatch the hole. To me, this seems like it'd compromise the integrity of the stand.

This is true unless you have an internal frame to support the tank. This is what I'm lacking

Smile, God loves you!
Old 09/11/2007, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

just a thought here. constuct a "frame" on the inside out of 2x4's . You should be able to get some in there that would probably provide more support then what the thing is holding now (provided you are dealing with a store bought stand - which i am still surprised they hold the weight they hold). Good luck
Old 09/11/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

thx, actually I don't know if its store bought or not. I got the tank the stand and 3 175 watt MH ball. in trade for a computer system.

But thinking about it, every diy build I've seen on this sight shows all stands having an internal frame. I don't think I've seen that as much with store bought stands. Also I'm going to get my hands on a camera so I can post some pics. How would I go about posting the pics though? I don't have a place online to store and link to them. Is there another way?

Smile, God loves you!
Old 09/11/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Go to a image hosting site like:
http://www.imageshack.us/ or: http://photobucket.com/
I believe they're still free.

Then when you post your message click on the IMG button and enter the url.
Old 09/12/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

Thank you! I would like to thank reef central and all its members. Your skills and desire to share those skills have helped me greatly. I would post more but I don't have a computer and only view the site while at work on break. You have all been a great help to myself and the reef I'm working on.

Smile, God loves you!