Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 01/07/2008, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jjmcat
Wow I didnt go to the other page.
http://www.thecaptivereef.com/page/1...nthastrea.html
Get with the tread buddy. We're talking about Aussie, not Japanese acans. It like talking about gold and silver.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

part of the problem is the fright costs from aust that wont go down only up it costs a ton of money to ship to the us from aust.
plus the aussie collectors are charging an arm and a leg they know what they have and can. maybe the price will come down but not for a while. also 300.00 to some is like 3000.00 to others.
i wish they cost less as well it would be nice but thats capitalism
just my 2 cents...
Old 01/07/2008, 09:52 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
Originally posted by All Delight
Get with the tread buddy. We're talking about Aussie, not Japanese acans. It like talking about gold and silver.
Does it really matter?Is an acan not an acan?Price jacking is what it is plain and simple.So let me get this right then.
INDO LORD=5$
AUSSIE LORD 10-15$
JAPANESE LORD =600$

Am I seeing this wrong or am I
Old 01/07/2008, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Does it really matter?Is an acan not an acan?Price jacking is what it is plain and simple.So let me get this right then.
INDO LORD=5$
AUSSIE LORD 10-15$
JAPANESE LORD =600$

INDO LORD = collected by some poor diver making 17 cents an hour
AUSSIE LORD = collected by a diver making a decent wage (no idea what but at least 100x more then Indo guy), more expensive flight here, then sold and sold again per head, changing hands one more time then the indo one
JAPANESE LORD = SMUGGLED to the US whoever brought it risked jail time and probably being banned from traveling so it better be worth it.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

To me, its as simple as if you dont like the item or the price its sold for, dont buy it!!!
Old 01/07/2008, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
INDO LORD=5$
AUSSIE LORD 10-15$
JAPANESE LORD =600$

Yes it does matter. Please tell me you're not serious with that statement.

Japanese lords are not common in the US market. They aren't even imported legally. How many LFS have you seen Japanese lords at? Sure if you go to Japan they're very cheap. And Ricordia Floridas are very expensive.

Your statement is as narrow minded as saying why pay Kobe Bryant $19 million a year, just get Eddie Jones and pay him $2 million a year. Whats the differece, a shooting guard is a shooting guard right?

or

Why go to UCLA for an education, just go to Long Beach State. Why is it so much more to go to UCLA. Is a college not a college?

or

Its like drinking a $400 bottle of wine, why not just get a $20 bottle of wine. Is wine not wine?

I'm not arguing the fact that some lords are expensive. Some are. But sorry to say, all lords are not created equal. Just like humans, the prettier ones are harder to find and more in demand.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigian
To me, its as simple as if you dont like the item or the price its sold for, dont buy it!!!
Old 01/07/2008, 10:44 PM
Registered Member.

I'm not arguing the fact that some lords are expensive. Some are. But sorry to say, all lords are not created equal. Just like humans, the prettier ones are harder to find and more in demand. [/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks alot!!!!!!!! I just spit coffe all over my keyboard...LOL
Old 01/07/2008, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

So your saying whats the difference between these two? Both should be the same price, huh?

Old 01/07/2008, 10:50 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
Originally posted by bigian
What I was saying but with less words.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:01 PM
Reef slave

all i will say is you get what you pay for. =) you want any coral nice and colored it will be more then the brown or common one.

aussie acans are healthy, great color morph, collected by someone with similar labor rates as in the us. yes they end up being a lil more then the indo. well i am sure people on this board are aware of going rates and such. if someone wants to spend large amounts on a colony that is there issue and money. just because hobbiest are selling them under fish store rates to make a quick but the stores still have to worry about there overhead.

honestly if corals come in like this all the time. one might as well bend me over, cuz i like new and fresh and willing to pay for it within reason. some of these beauties are still nice looking that some of those high priced LE colored sticks or challices.

thanks to those aussie collectors i now have nice peices like this to drool over when i am down.purple pink and green
no complaints on this end , and my butt dont hurt.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:06 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
So your saying whats the difference between these two? Both should be the same price, huh?

Why not?I know I only paid 5$ a poly for these and there nothing special.

All I am saying why jack up the prices so high that most folks are not able to but them.I know you have a designer reef and maybe money is not an object to you.I guess my reasoning is narrow minded so what I am saying must sound like gibberish.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Hey but seriously, haven't you guys bought a coral you knew you were paying too much for, but just had to have it. Or am I the only knucklehead.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Definately not, All D...
Old 01/07/2008, 11:15 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
Yes it does matter. Please tell me you're not serious with that statement.

Japanese lords are not common in the US market. They aren't even imported legally. How many LFS have you seen Japanese lords at? Sure if you go to Japan they're very cheap. And Ricordia Floridae are very expensive.

Your statement is as narrow minded as saying why pay Kobe Bryant $19 million a year, just get Eddie Jones and pay him $2 million a year. Whats the difference, a shooting guard is a shooting guard right?

or

Why go to UCLA for an education, just go to Long Beach State. Why is it so much more to go to UCLA. Is a college not a college?

or

Its like drinking a $400 bottle of wine, why not just get a $20 bottle of wine. Is wine not wine?

I'm not arguing the fact that some lords are expensive. Some are. But sorry to say, all lords are not created equal. Just like humans, the prettier ones are harder to find and more in demand.
We are talking about the price of a coral.Unless a coral can advance me in life with a better job then this is simply apples and oranges to me.BTW I wouldnt pay a nickle for wine but thats just me.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:20 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
Hey but seriously, haven't you guys bought a coral you knew you were paying too much for, but just had to have it. Or am I the only knucklehead.
I get what you are saying but I know how a lfs does business and the markup is huge.And as far as a lfs haveing really cool and hard to get corals....Come to tulsa please.This is where I paid 5$ per head for my acans.In fact if you click on my red house there is not one coral I have that came an online vendor.All came from local reefers and local lfs.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

it's like this

indo acans = cigarettes
aussie acans = expensive cigars (i was going to say cubans but i remembered even those are illegal in america)
japanese acans = crack or some other expensive drug
Old 01/07/2008, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

lol, I don't drink wine either. Its just something that came to mind. Hey you never know, maybe your boss will have a tank too, and he'll want your favorite coral. Eh, just kidding man.

Bigian - I've done it twice. And for the next couple of weeks I felt horrible. But I can honestly say, that one of them I have no regrets. I love that piece, and I've never ever seen another one like it. I'm sure somewhere its out there, but I have never had the opportunity to buy one like it, nonetheless seen one. I honestly can say that I wouldn't even sell it for double what I paid. As for the other one, yes I regret it today because it died.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

I'm spending too much time in this thread, I haven't even checked my other favorite threads.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewkw
it's like this

indo acans = cigarettes
aussie acans = expensive cigars (i was going to say cubans but i remembered even those are illegal in america)
japanese acans = crack or some other expensive drug
I thought the allure of crack in part was it's relative cheapness
Old 01/08/2008, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
part of the problem is the fright costs from aust that wont go down only up it costs a ton of money to ship to the us from aust.
I'm not sure I buy this........the fish that come from there aren't priced out of control like this & they live in captivity, not like their miserable indo counterparts. This is somthing I'm willing to pay a premium for.

I'm not complaining about Acan prices.......I just happen to pull them up on the web after I saw Spstoner's collection. It was comical to me to see what's being charged & all this rare one of a kind talk.......people are so gullable.

Last edited by Big E; 01/08/2008 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:07 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Quote:
Originally posted by Big E
I'm not sure I buy this........the fish that come from there aren't priced out of control like this & they live in captivity, not like their miserable indo counterparts. This is somthing I'm willing to pay a premium for.

I'm not complaining about Acan prices.......I just happen to pull them up on the web after I saw Spstoner's collection. It was comical to me to see what's being charged & all this rare one of a kind talk.......people are so gullable.

Just so we are clear, I got almost all of my colonies from an eBay vendor for NOWHERE near these prices being discussed. There are good deals out there from vendors who are just looking to make an honest markup. (are you calling me gullable, Ed? )
Seriously, the Aussie exporters are jacking the prices up for sure. The freight costs from Australia are insane no doubt, just go to FedEx website and get a quote to ship a box there) but the corals themselves are way higher to start with.

Andrewkw- One of the big differences here in the States is there is an extra markup between import and end consumer. In Canada, you as the hobbyist deal directly with the importer for your corals ( NAFB, RR, etc) In the States, it is much more difficult, if not impossible for retailers to import directly. They buy their Aussies from a wholesaler/ importer who adds his own markup, and may in fact be cutting up some of the large colonies (don't know if this is true, just guessing). I have seen the wholesale price list and the only sub-$100 on the list were the small size Lords, and this is without freight / handling charges from Australia, which the wholesaler passes along to the LFS.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:57 AM
Hey sweetheart ;)

Perhaps this is the reason that essentially all aussie pieces imported to Canada are no longer available to the Canadian hobbyist, they are simply re-exported to the US. Disconcerting for local, long-term Canadian hobbiests to see this occur, but this is a business after all.

If it means anything, in the US you can buy these re-exported aussie-canadian acans cheaper than we can in Canada before they are re-exported.

Quote:
Originally posted by SPStoner

Andrewkw- One of the big differences here in the States is there is an extra markup between import and end consumer. In Canada, you as the hobbyist deal directly with the importer for your corals ( NAFB, RR, etc) In the States, it is much more difficult, if not impossible for retailers to import directly. They buy their Aussies from a wholesaler/ importer who adds his own markup, and may in fact be cutting up some of the large colonies (don't know if this is true, just guessing). I have seen the wholesale price list and the only sub-$100 on the list were the small size Lords, and this is without freight / handling charges from Australia, which the wholesaler passes along to the LFS.
2 Ampmaster 3000's (R&CL)
MTC HSA 1000 Skimmer on a PCX 100
MTC Procal Calcium Reactor

SPS dominated reef
Old 01/08/2008, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

I thought we should be expecting tighter regulations when it comes to aussie corals, so wont the prices stay where they are?

Also DAMN I'm loving that pink and green Japanese lord! I can see why those cost so much more.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

I know for a fact that Aussie Acans are around Australian $40 -50 bux for a large colony regardless of colours as per my Aussie reefer buddies. Shipping and handling are only minimal when it's spread out accordingly when applied to each corals extra costs.
But the fact that when it's priced at Cdn$800.00 for a piece of Aussie Acan colony is totally Ludicrious and Highway Robbery. We, the collectors .. be it casual or hard-core, can't be 'punished and crucified' by these unreasonable prices just because it's Aussie corals?? C'mon the US prices are reasonable to say the least and for $800 bux over here in Canada ..... we could most likely afford at the most 2 to 3 Acan colony from States side don't you think so??