Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 11/10/2004, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Acrylic tank bowed bad - Is it safe

I recently acquired a 55 gallon acrylic tank and the rear panel is bowed out 3/4". There appears to be some small (1/8") lines which I think is crazing in the rear panel where it is bowed out the most.

All the seams for the most part look good. A few small lines across the seams here and there, but nothing major.

Looking for input as to whether this is safe.
Old 11/11/2004, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

Is there any bracing across the tank center ?? try filling it outside and let it sit for a few days...I would imagine if it is bowed without being filled, when it is filled it will bow even more..

DaveC
Old 11/11/2004, 06:31 AM
THE NAZGUL

i have seen some pretty bad bowed tanks, usually there the older ones, or ones made with to thin of acrylic. i have not heard of any becoming structually unsafe as a result of there bow. i have used a few old acrylics as sumps that had some nice bow, never had a problem there either. honestly unless its ridiculous i dont think you have a problem.
Old 11/11/2004, 07:18 AM
Reformed Delinquent

How brave are you? 3/4" of bow sounds risky to me.
Old 11/11/2004, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Well I filled it with water in the garage. Now the back is bowed out 1" and the front 5/8". It appear very structurally sound.

It doesn't take much of a bump on the front to make the water vibrate. Is this pretty normal for acrylics?
Old 11/12/2004, 01:02 AM
RC Mod

[welcome]

Any brand information on the tank?
Old 11/12/2004, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

Was at the LFS and there were some fish fighting in a 40 gallon acrylic tank and the owner banged the tank twice with his fist. The whole tank rattled and the water and fish all jerked. From what I saw today, acrylic can be pretty tough.
Old 11/12/2004, 02:11 AM
Flea Slide

One question... If you aquired it new why to risk it? I would try to return it and have it replaced.
Old 11/12/2004, 02:18 AM
Premium Member

I have 55g TruVu and it bows about a 1/2" on the back, it's been up and running for about 13 months no problems. It alarmed me at first but others assured me that it was normal.

-Nietzsche's Thus spoke Zarathustra
Old 11/13/2004, 05:34 AM
THE NAZGUL

a little is normal, but what your describing ( 1" ) sounds a little extreme. i have had mine over two and there is no noticeable bow at all. i also have a 300g that has no visible bow, but it also has 1 1/4" thick walls....
Old 11/13/2004, 07:19 AM
Reformed Delinquent

Using that tank just sounds like a bad idea to me.
Old 11/13/2004, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

The tank is one of the least expensive parts of this hobby. Why go through the worry? You can replace it with a stable tank and use it for a sump or refugium. That way, if there are any probs, you hopefully won't have anything more than a water mess on your hands, and not have fish and shrimp flopping around on your floor.