Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 01/07/2008, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

how to get a tang eating?

any1 have any tips to get a hippo tang eating? he was eating in the store.... i got him about 5 days ago if i cannot get him to eat today or tomorrow hes going back to the store
Old 01/07/2008, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

He's likely shy. I'd get a veggie clip and some nori/sushi wrap/seaweed. Tangs love seaweed and putting it on a veggie clip removes that which may be stressing the tang, you. I buy sushi party from wal-mart in the oriental foods isle.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

i have nori in the tank... ive tried putting it on rocks and right now i have inbetween glass and magfloat i even just stick a little bit through my korila and it chopped it up and its floating through the water colum
Old 01/07/2008, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Do you see him picking at rocks or other areas where algae may be? Was this a live caught or captive raised?

I have a live caught goldrim that took days to start eating nori. Still not big on pellets. He picked at the rocks and back glass from day one.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

What was he eating in the shop and also does he have any other tankmates or is he by himself?
Old 01/07/2008, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

he does pick at the rocks... and he is fat but ive never seen him eat nori and im trying too and he was eating nori in the store.. he tank mates are a clown, scooter blenny, and a dragonfaced pipe
Old 01/07/2008, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

well if he is picking at the rocks he is most likely getting some sort of nutrition. Is it out and about or hiding in a corner somewhere. May just be a bit stressed out and needs a bit more time to adjust...Like everything else it takes time.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

both...... but mostly hiding right now
Old 01/08/2008, 12:22 AM
Moved On

i got a small hippo that was eating in the store. brought it home. it hid in the QT tank and would never come out. a week went by. got some caulerpera in there.. still nothing. at about two weeks i picked up some other fish off a guy tearing down a tank. clown, flame angel, another hippo *little bit bigger*, purple tang, and a small vlamingi. WHat do you know he all of a sudden came out of hiding and decided he was hungry!

fish need friends too. thats all i could come up with
Old 01/08/2008, 02:00 AM
Moved On

I think its just shy. Mines kept hiding first few days because it was scared of me. I sat around the tank longer than usual for a few nights and he slowly came out more. Then he would eat the brine shrimp I throw in for everyone and munch on his nori all day.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cl2ysta1
i got a small hippo that was eating in the store. brought it home. it hid in the QT tank and would never come out. a week went by. got some caulerpera in there.. still nothing. at about two weeks i picked up some other fish off a guy tearing down a tank. clown, flame angel, another hippo *little bit bigger*, purple tang, and a small vlamingi. WHat do you know he all of a sudden came out of hiding and decided he was hungry!

fish need friends too. thats all i could come up with
I agree, my hippo tang has become alot more viewable now that I have a school or chromis and 2 small scopas tangs for him to boss around :P
Old 01/08/2008, 11:20 PM
Reefer

I've had good luck wrapping the nori around a piece of rubble rock with a rubber band and sticking it in the rockwork.

Good Luck!
Joyce
Old 01/10/2008, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

hes starting to come out more and more.. but i havnt seen him eat... but i do see bits of nori taken out of the piece of it
Old 01/11/2008, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaita
I agree, my hippo tang has become alot more viewable now that I have a school or chromis and 2 small scopas tangs for him to boss around :P
I agree, he will come out more with bolder fish, who will swim out in the open and who he can hang out with, chromis and for my couple of small hippo's, a lipstick tang is their best buddy.
It is interesting to see how much he comes out, depending whether or not the lipstick is in the tank or not.
How is he looking, any photo's yet?
Old 01/11/2008, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Have you tried soaking the food in garlic before you put it in the tank? ....... sorry I'm not trying to "thread jack", but I'm having trouble with an Achilles tang right now, so far I've tried nori, 4 types of frozen foods, with the garlic and still nothing, not even a look.
I wish you luck with your fish.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

i walked into the room today and i saw him eating =P YAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAY!!!!