Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 11/24/2007, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

thank you sir..you are a great help to us noobs
Old 11/24/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

If you dont mind me double checking but im ready to order the TEK fixture just because of your answers. I read couple of times you suggested for mix reef set up.

Blue plus,super actinic,aqua sun,blue plus or aqua blue.

Im unsure would this combo work/cover all the colors, like coral with pinks,purples,and blues?
Old 11/24/2007, 11:00 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Yes, that should be good for the pink and purples because of the red in the Aquasun and there will be plenty of blue.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Since im new to the T5 world what is one or two things i should keep in mind when dealing with T5's. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Hey im building a tank which is 140cm by 50cm wide by 40cm high would a 120cm quad t5ho fixture be enough 4x54 watt bulbs,I want to keep abit of sps lots of lps and a clam
Old 11/24/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking of getting that 4 foot aqua medic pendant
Old 11/24/2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by specialreef
Since im new to the T5 world what is one or two things i should keep in mind when dealing with T5's. Thank you very much for your help.

Keep the salt spray wiped off the lamps and reflectors.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fish-unit
I was thinking of getting that 4 foot aqua medic pendant
I don't do CM

If the tank is under 20" tall a 4 lamp unit should be fine. If the tank is 20 or more tall make sure you get individual reflectors.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Ill keep it well in mind.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Last try

400 gal sps. 30 inch depth. Please recommend number and types of lamps.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

How long is the tank?
Old 11/25/2007, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

I'm looking to retrofit a 125g canopy (72x18"). My last setup (75g) had 2 250w MH 10k, supplemented with 2 VHO (1 Super Actinic, 1 White Actinic) with an IceCap 430 ballast.

In my 125g, I will be using the 2 MH, but I am considering supplementing with T5s instead of VHO. They're much more cost efficient than VHO, right? I am going to have mostly LPS this time instead of mixed SPS/LPS so I don't believe I'll need a third MH.

Will my IceCap 430 ballast work with T5s also? If so, what configuration would be best in a 72" canopy to supplement the two MH?

Where is the best place to buy retrofit lighting online. I would want individual reflectors for each light.

Thanks
Vickie
Old 11/25/2007, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Question about cooling t-5's??

Icecap Retro on a 75G. (48x18x20) 4 t-5's and 2 vho actinics. This is in a 8" hood with bulbs 4-5" off the water. Hood has an opening at the rear. I have 2 4" icecap fans that blow into the hood. (one on each side). Should this be enough cooling, or will I need to add more fans?

Edit: I should add that this hood has housed a 6 bulb vho setup for 3 years with no problems. I have one fan on a timer that runs all day. The other is on a controller, and kicks on if the tank goes from 80-81 degrees. It vary rarely kicks on. Maybe 4-5 times a year during the summer. I'm unsure how much more heat the t-5's will generate, and how much cooling they need to preserve their length of use.

Last edited by Craig Lambert; 11/25/2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11/25/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

grim. i have a question. i was thinking can i get a tek fixture and put icecap ballast in it and over drive them? i think that would be cool, but its a 90g and if i can do this should i stick with the 8 bulb or will the 6 bulb be PLENTY? thanks

" it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who your not." :van zant
Old 11/25/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Which D-D or UVL tube equivalent to KZ Fiji Pruple ?
And what is the effect of KZ Fiji Pruple do ?
Old 11/26/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Dear Grim

I already decide my set up please comment. Objective of this config is look like 20000K but colour of all coral is pop.
my tank size 48"Lx24"Wx18"H.

Front to Back

- ATI Blue Plus with icecap reflector and HO Ballast
- Option bulb (If too white will add blue plus,or if too blue will add 10000K) with icecap reflector and IC660
- UVL T5 75/25 V-HO with icecap reflector with IC 660
- UVL T12 Superactinic (exising) with icecap reflector with IC660
- UVL T5 Aquasun with icecap reflector with IC 660

So please comment
1.Color will like 20000K or not?
2.Is this set up will make color pop?
3.this arrangement is Ok or not?
Old 11/26/2007, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Grim.
I have a solar flare 48" on hold for myself now. I know you have probobly answered this question before but i cant find it. What is your opinion of the solar flares? I have read in other threads you saying they where the best T5 fixtures at the moment. It was Sanjays "T5 - MH faceoff" from 10 months ago. is this still your opinion? I also read how the fixture was configured ( what switch ran what lights,#1 ran lights 2and 5 , and #2 ran 1,3,4,6) long ago in this thread, is that correct? right now i am running 2 250mh and 2 54watt actinic with softies, lps lots of sps and clams. I would like a dawn/ dusk lighting period as well.In your opinion (and if you do know the fixtures configuration),like everyone else i would like to know what bulbs in what order, to support my corals. what you say goes cause after a while .............aaagggghhhh!
Old 11/26/2007, 01:03 AM

Re: Last try

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeW
400 gal sps. 30 inch depth. Please recommend number and types of lamps.
2 8 lamp Ice Cap 39 watt retrofits. 16 lamps total, 8 rows of 2 lamps placed side by side.

Front
Blue Plus
Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
Aquablue
UVL 75/25
Blue Plus
Old 11/26/2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cinnamongirl
I'm looking to retrofit a 125g canopy (72x18"). My last setup (75g) had 2 250w MH 10k, supplemented with 2 VHO (1 Super Actinic, 1 White Actinic) with an IceCap 430 ballast.

In my 125g, I will be using the 2 MH, but I am considering supplementing with T5s instead of VHO. They're much more cost efficient than VHO, right? I am going to have mostly LPS this time instead of mixed SPS/LPS so I don't believe I'll need a third MH.

Will my IceCap 430 ballast work with T5s also? If so, what configuration would be best in a 72" canopy to supplement the two MH?

Where is the best place to buy retrofit lighting online. I would want individual reflectors for each light.

Thanks
Vickie
The 430 ballast will run 2 T5 lamps. I would run 1 80 watt Blue Plus and 1 80 watt actinic, both ATI lamps. Reefgeek will put you together a 2 lamp retrofit kit minus the ballast.
Old 11/26/2007, 01:09 AM

The two fans should be fine. you just need to have the air circulating through the canopy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Lambert
Question about cooling t-5's??

Icecap Retro on a 75G. (48x18x20) 4 t-5's and 2 vho actinics. This is in a 8" hood with bulbs 4-5" off the water. Hood has an opening at the rear. I have 2 4" icecap fans that blow into the hood. (one on each side). Should this be enough cooling, or will I need to add more fans?

Edit: I should add that this hood has housed a 6 bulb vho setup for 3 years with no problems. I have one fan on a timer that runs all day. The other is on a controller, and kicks on if the tank goes from 80-81 degrees. It vary rarely kicks on. Maybe 4-5 times a year during the summer. I'm unsure how much more heat the t-5's will generate, and how much cooling they need to preserve their length of use.
Old 11/26/2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yamaha racer
grim. i have a question. i was thinking can i get a tek fixture and put icecap ballast in it and over drive them? i think that would be cool, but its a 90g and if i can do this should i stick with the 8 bulb or will the 6 bulb be PLENTY? thanks
That will work if you mount the ballast remote to the fixture. You will need to blow a fan accross the fixture but one of the little 4 fan arrays like foster and smith sells would handle it. Just clamp it to the back of the tank. If you overdrove the 4 center lamps I think you would be good for SPS as long as you keep the high lighting one up on the rocks a bit.
Old 11/26/2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishlibrary
Which D-D or UVL tube equivalent to KZ Fiji Pruple ?
And what is the effect of KZ Fiji Pruple do ?
The UVL 75/25 would be in the ballpark. The fiji purple is sorta like a aquablue that has been tweaked. It gives a little fluorescence and a bright light with sorta a violet tint..
Old 11/26/2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apinun
Dear Grim

I already decide my set up please comment. Objective of this config is look like 20000K but colour of all coral is pop.
my tank size 48"Lx24"Wx18"H.

Front to Back

- Option bulb (If too white will add blue plus,or if too blue will add 10000K) with icecap reflector and IC660
- UVL T5 75/25 V-HO with icecap reflector with IC 660
- UVL T12 Superactinic (exising) with icecap reflector with IC660
- UVL T5 Aquasun with icecap reflector with IC 660

So please comment
1.Color will like 20000K or not?
2.Is this set up will make color pop?
3.this arrangement is Ok or not?
That should be nice. It won't be as blue as some 20K halides but I think it will look close.
Old 11/26/2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by iansfishy
Grim.
I have a solar flare 48" on hold for myself now. I know you have probobly answered this question before but i cant find it. What is your opinion of the solar flares? I have read in other threads you saying they where the best T5 fixtures at the moment. It was Sanjays "T5 - MH faceoff" from 10 months ago. is this still your opinion? I also read how the fixture was configured ( what switch ran what lights,#1 ran lights 2and 5 , and #2 ran 1,3,4,6) long ago in this thread, is that correct? right now i am running 2 250mh and 2 54watt actinic with softies, lps lots of sps and clams. I would like a dawn/ dusk lighting period as well.In your opinion (and if you do know the fixtures configuration),like everyone else i would like to know what bulbs in what order, to support my corals. what you say goes cause after a while .............aaagggghhhh!
As far as I know that is still the configuration. I would try this for lamps

Front
Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqublue
Old 11/26/2007, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
The UVL 75/25 would be in the ballpark. The fiji purple is sorta like a aquablue that has been tweaked. It gives a little fluorescence and a bright light with sorta a violet tint..
Grim,

Is it a good idea to change my combination as below ?

D-D Actinix Plus -> KZ Fiji Purple
UVL Super Actinic -> remain unchange
UVL AquaSun -> remain unchange
D-D aquaBlue -> KZ Coral Light