Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 11/13/2004, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

What are the differences between LR

I am thinking of ordering some LR for my tank and was wondering how different they are from each other. I'm sure they all do the same thing but they come from different places, does that mean they have advantages over other types of LR. Are some more colorful, more porous, more biofiltration?

From what I have been seeing there is Figi, Lalo, Kaelini, Tonga, Melenesian, and Carribbean. How do these compare to each other? I have noticed that price is a big factor, but aside from price is Lalo rock lighter than Figi? I presume that the shapes are the same but in the end eventually they will be covered with coralline and corals. I guess what I am trying to ask is what is the difference?

Does anybody see a significant difference in the function of their rock compared to other types they have seen? Does the price difference represent better rock of reduced quantity?

Well thanks for any input you all can give. Good luck
Old 11/13/2004, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
Carribean is much more dense. You'll get a lot of hitchikers on it though. I prefer less dense and more porous, such as Fiji and Kaelini. Tonga has nice branch rock that makes for interesting aquascaping.
Old 11/13/2004, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Regarding hitchikers. Do they usually survive or do they eventually die off. What I am trying to figure out is it beneficial to buy rock with lots of "goodies" on it when then don't survive or when they don't add any beneficial qualities to the tank. Are they just aesthetic, cool to look at?

I guess it comes down to this question, In your opinion what is the best LR for a tank?
Old 11/13/2004, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

check out marshall island too - that's my personal favorite. I believe it's a little lighter than fiji and has a great structure. I also have kaelini in my tank - very nice as well.
Old 11/13/2004, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

regarding hitchikers - I would say their survivability largely depends on where you're buying from and how they handle their rock. Not to mention the condition of your tank. Hikers make things very interesting though - I'm still trying to identify a crab that hiked in on my marshall rock, he never comes out, all I ever see are his claws searching for food. Of course there are some hikers that are unwelcome for many reefers.
Old 11/13/2004, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

I second masterswimmer, Id go with more porous rock such as fiji than dense rock such as tonga. Like Indyreef said, it really depends on where you buy the rock. TBS ships their rock with water which helps the survival rate but Im not sure what others ship this way also. If I couldve afforded to purchase LR online, I wouldve definately bought some from TBS. Their rock is just awesome. You might have some die off but if youre starting a new tank, you need a lil die off anyway to kick start the cycle process. IMO the more porous the more beneficial. I bought some fiji locally and it was loaded with life on it. Feather dusters, worms, snails, pods ect...was what was on the rock.