Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2004, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

carnation

I recently bought a Carnation (Red) (Dendronephthya) ( i think thats what it is called) and put it in my tank along with a few other things that are doing wonderful but this soft coral is not. It looks like it is loosing its shape and withering away? What can i do? I have checked my water levels and everything is where it should be HELP please

Amanda
Old 11/12/2004, 07:04 PM
Zen Aquarist

IIRC, carnation's are fairly difficult corals to keep. Did you check to see if it is in a prefered location (its preference, not yours) as far as light and water flow are concerned?

"Life is painful; suffering is optional."
Old 11/12/2004, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

I called the place where i got it and they recomended i put it more in the shade of the tank so i have moved it
Old 11/12/2004, 09:24 PM
On hobby time out!

You bought the one coral nobody can keep long term at all. It is not photosynthetic, so lighting has no bearing whatsoever on how it does. It does require so much food in the water that your tank would look like a toilet after mexican night. I don't know of anyone that has been able to keep one for more than 9 months at most. Mot dies within the first few weeks.
Old 11/12/2004, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

I had one for around 2 years, even fragged it a few times. I lost it due to a dsb crash.
I think my secret was 2 sumps, 38, 30 full of caulerpa and pods and such, that gave off enough food for it to thrive.
Dang DSB fad cost me a ton of money over 100 different sps frags lost in that wipe out
ugh
Erik
Old 11/12/2004, 09:32 PM
RC Staff
American

Sorry Amanda, the news is not good. dgasmd pretty much hit the nail on the head. Researching first would have saved you a few $$ as you could have allowed the coral to die at the LFS. Even the most accomplished aquarists can't keep them alive in captivity.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 11/12/2004, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

for sure not the begginer coral
Old 11/13/2004, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

thanks everyone for the responses it does look a little better today then it did yesterday but not like it did in the store...........
Old 11/13/2004, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

heres a trick to feeding them, Cut the bottle out of a 2 liter of pop, place the 2 liter over the coral and pour your dt's phytoplanket ect. in the top and let it sit there for a few minutes. This makes it easier for the coral to feed longer.
Give that a try
Erik