Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2004, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

can filter innards

I have a canister filter running with GAC. The unit came with media, rings, and little stones which i removed to install the carbon. is there any thing i could use this extra media for.....? in my sump or over flow box, or is it best just to chuck it?b
Old 11/12/2004, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

What kind of filter? Mine came with sponges, etc and I had them in for a while, but then they started to feed my algae problem. I haven't tried the ceramic rings, etc, so I can't help you with that. All I can say is stay away from the sponges. I am just running it empty now for the extra flow and I have a filter bag of carbon in my sump.
Old 11/12/2004, 11:42 PM
Master Scuba Certified

You are using LR for filtration???? If so chuck it!!! No use to you...just a nitrate sponge to raise you nitrates....

"A Lasting Work Requires Extensive Preparation" -- Douglas Rumford

http://www.myspace.com/masterdiver1
Old 11/13/2004, 06:30 AM
Registered Member

It is an Ehime 2017 i think. I have sponge on the top and bottom of the Can to hold in the carbon, i'ts running 1350g GAC... can you get bags that big? Is it better to put carbon in the sump then in the Canister?
I do have LR so i guess the rings and stones are gone. A tank without a mechanical filter is a little unusual for me , SW is alot different then FW .