Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2004, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

T5 reflectors when using a retro kit?

Ok, so what type of reflectors should I use with this retro kit? Should I somehow "flip" the units so the bulbs "hang" more? Could I do SLS reflectors if I did this? You'll have to excuse the aluminum foil, I was just experimenting. Would reflectors be best or should I just paint the canopy white inside? Thanks in advance guys!

Old 11/12/2004, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

go to HD or Lowe's or Menard's and find "polished aluminum". Some stores carry it, others don't. you could line your canopy with that and it will be better than aluminum foil, although the aluminum foil gives the "rippling" effect.

the tank looks fine and bright enough how you have it really.
Old 11/12/2004, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

http://www.hellolights.com/reflectors.html

how much were those seedub?
Old 11/12/2004, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

I got the canopy/lights used from a fellow RC member for $115.00 shipped to my door. No clue what they retail for. Heck, not even sure what brand they are.
Old 11/12/2004, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

BTT in case some late nighters on the east coast have anything to say...
Old 11/13/2004, 12:13 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Those look like Helios, they may or may not be HO T5's. Think the 24" are 24 watts and 36" are 39 watts if they are HO. The newer units have half round reflectors built into them. I am not sure if the lamps can even be removed. They are marketed as a disposable unit because they are pretty cheap as far as replacement cost goes.

P.S. I'd mount them pointed straight down into the tank if possible, you would get a tad more light into the water than having them sideways.
Old 11/13/2004, 12:28 AM
Premium Reefer

I have SLS T5 Retro kits and it doesn't look like the reflector would fit in there...

I can get you exact measurements if required...
Old 11/13/2004, 04:17 AM
Premium Member

Those are the new Current Nova T 5s... I have them and they are great! Very inexpensive, basically cost the same as a bulb, and are all inclusive with ballast and cord in each light unit. They really put out alot of light!
You can order them at www.petsolutions.com

Try them!

Jenni
Old 11/13/2004, 04:19 AM
Premium Member

You are right that Helios makes them too but those in the picture are the Current brand ones. I also have some of the helios ones and I like them too. you can find them here: www.commodityaxis.com... they are a little more expensive but still about the same a sa regular T 5 bulb.

Jenni