Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish

Old 01/05/2008, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Drawf seahorse in sump?

Approximately 4 months ago I wrote on this forum about keeping a dwarf seahorse in a sump. I had never had them before, and have a big reef tank. I ordered a couple before researching how to care for them! (Impulse buy, dumb, I know.)
All of you guys that are experts in this field said they could not survive, even though my sump is full of mysis shrimp, because of the water flow, and the 80 degree temperature, etc.
Just thought you might like to know that one of them after all of these months is alive, healthy, grown quite a bit, and enjoying his fill I of mysis shrimp, I guess!
Old 01/05/2008, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

One of them? How many did you start with?
Old 01/05/2008, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/05/2008, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

why?
Old 01/05/2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Congrats, that's very cool that one has survived. Most people here and in other forums are very afraid of any nasties that may come from your reef. I think they really underestimate how much flow the horses can really withstand. Anyhow, good job and thanks for the update. It's always good to hear when some one can succeed against others advice.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

Just curious.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

I'd love to see a pic, as dwarf seahorses are barely an inch big. I could never imagine a dwarf seahorse eating mysis shrimp. Copepods and such, yes, but not a mysis shrimp.

Tom
Old 01/06/2008, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

I have fed mine baby mysis and they love it, maybe they snagged the new borns.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

I hope so much that anyone new to keeping this little species and reading this will realize this is NOT the proper conditions for H zosterae.

The will to live is strong and some can fight longer than others in difficult conditions they are forced to live in.

When you posted before on this , you stated that you had ordered 4 dwarf, not 2.

Last edited by JennyL; 01/06/2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

That is what I found when I searched Janet. Wondering what happened to the other two?
Old 01/07/2008, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I hadn't had a chance to write for a few days. You are right, I ordered 4, but I found someone that wanted to keep them in an isolation tank, but only wanted 2, so I kept the other 2 and I think there is just one of them left. We found it while cropping the algae out of the sump. I had read that they eat mysis in the wild, and my sump is full of them. There are also copepods in there too, but they are a lot bigger than the mysis, so I don't know what it is eating, but it is alive and healthy. And yes, it is only about an inch long. I do not know how to post pictures, and he is not always easy to find because he hangs in the macro algae which is pretty thick, so sorry I can't send a pic. I did not post this to suggest anyone else try this, just to let those of you know that said that there was no way one could survive in a sump, that one of my two did. That's all. I was just excited to see that he'd made it all this time! Thanks for the info.