Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/09/2007, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

good deals?

found this rock locally pretty cheap. what do you think? the blocks look weird to me! also, what kind of sand is that??

i have some nice rock currently but was thinking i could use this stuff as a base?

also, is this a good deal?

5 Foot 350 watt Metal Halide fixture with 2 175w 14k bulbs 48" actinic florescent bulbs, and ballasts. $200.00 obo pick-up only no shipping

i thought it sounded pretty good...thanks!
Old 12/09/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

personally, I wouldn't buy the rock. Something looks-wrong. Maybe its the big chunks of marble that I can find in my backyard. You want rocks that are more porous than that. If the lighter colored rocks ARE from the ocean so to speak, then sure if its the right price. But don't get the dense, no holes in the rock rocks.

Dunno bout the light... sounds good, but does it run, and does it need new bulbs?
Old 12/09/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Kinda looks like "Slate Rock", good for building walls not good for salt water IMO. Sounds like a decent deal on the lights, find out how old the bulbs are and then offer them $125 for It all. That's what I would do :-)

Check out my 90G build. Click the little red house.