Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/27/2004, 01:35 AM
the cow flys at dawn

just a quick note.

I spoke to 1 trusty guy at 1 LFS, about posting a quick "i breed X and you can get them over ((here))" note

he looked at me all funny, and said "your kidding right!!"(sure kidding yep that was the word) after going well only a little, he said that would be seriously frowned upon, and it might jepordize my relationship with them.

so the best I could do on this could happen list is a "i breed X" that was only 1 place and I know the guy I asked he is super cool I wont even dare to bring it up with the others.

as to man910: what is your location? (aprox is good enough) I dont really have trouble locating CB fish, anywhere so i was wondering what barriers your running into? also you do know that not every fish is currently able to be raised in captivity?
Old 03/27/2004, 11:04 AM
Marine Aquarist

Quote:
Originally posted by rsman
I dont really have trouble locating CB fish
Do you mean that you can get any CB fish that you want locally?! I have to mail order or drive a long way to get any CB fish at all.
Old 03/27/2004, 11:08 AM
Marine Aquarist

Quote:
just a quick note.

I spoke to 1 trusty guy at 1 LFS, about posting a quick "i breed X and you can get them over ((here))" note

he looked at me all funny, and said "your kidding right!!"(sure kidding yep that was the word) after going well only a little, he said that would be seriously frowned upon, and it might jepordize my relationship with them.

so the best I could do on this could happen list is a "i breed X" that was only 1 place and I know the guy I asked he is super cool I wont even dare to bring it up with the others.
This could be a major setback. Do you think that we should only list major hatcheries if other breeders have this problem too?
Old 03/27/2004, 01:09 PM
the cow flys at dawn

This could be a major setback. Do you think that we should only list major hatcheries if other breeders have this problem too?

though i am speaking out of turn here I think oama covered that well, though not in as many words.
Old 03/27/2004, 01:14 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

Old 03/27/2004, 01:21 PM
Marine Aquarist

I did not think that there would be this many problems. Do you (everyone) think that we should not try to do it?
Old 03/27/2004, 02:18 PM
the cow flys at dawn

im all for the concept,

someone (wanna sign up ) needs to do major research, and then pick a way of presenting the data so that everyone is happy

as i said before I like it, i dont have the answers, but i see problems.

one way i guess it could work is if ppl were free to either publicly or confidentially(users choice) "nominate" or whatnot any place they found CB fish but then you would probibly want to show which CB fish and that doesnt cover availability. see more problems :| you might have to just accept that there could be invalid data. or the list maintainer would have to verify the nomination harder to do if the fish seller is voting for him self, ( i picture some one saying "X has CB purple people eaters" the mod calling up and of course as the owner put the tag the mod gets "yes we have CB purple people eaters" even though the status of the CB purple people eaters would be very questionable) not to say every LFS is going to be dishonest, but everyone knows how much I needed that $400 trickle filter on my 37g reef!!!
Old 03/27/2004, 02:34 PM
Marine Aquarist

Quote:
someone (wanna sign up ) needs to do major research, and then pick a way of presenting the data so that everyone is happy
I would be willing to take a crack at it, except that:

1. I see no way that we will be able to find every individual breeder.

2. I am not sure that all of the major fish hatcheries would appreciate a public listing of the species that they offer.

I think that if the major hatcheries don't want lists of the fish that they offer on the web, trying to create a list of fish breeders is not reasonable.
Old 03/27/2004, 02:47 PM
the cow flys at dawn

my *thought* in my post was to list the LFS not the breeder. (that was really the end idea, where can person Y get fish X from)

I dont think you can list the breeders, and you wont get many smilies from the big guys from listing there fish. and you wont get me saying I sell to Z store but i might check a checkbox or 2 and type the name of the place into a text field if I wasnt identified with that entry. it *might* be best if a non breeder did the work anyways as that person might not step on as many toes.

but as i stated someone is gona have to research and plan.
Old 03/27/2004, 04:09 PM
Marine Aquarist

Quote:
my *thought* in my post was to list the LFS not the breeder. (that was really the end idea, where can person Y get fish X from)
John(L) once requested that we not list vendors on the CB fish species thread, so we might get in trouble for doing that.
Old 03/31/2004, 12:41 AM
the cow flys at dawn

the next best guess would be
what if someone created a "fish store directory" and put a link in here to it. or is there one already we could use?
Old 03/31/2004, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

i dont understand why the lfs doesn't like the idea
if it is an undercutting isue then make them the same price
i think it would be better for the hobby if anyone could get these fish even in backwoods missouri
it is not like you would sell them all anyway so the lfs would still get fish i'm sure
Old 03/31/2004, 04:09 AM
the cow flys at dawn

there are a ton of issues,

for a quick coverage of a few.

first I could say " hey everyone I have CB purple people eaters available now" and people could contact me, and I could make a sale, but its against the rules, so some one says bend or change the rules what about the nice people at ORA or ..... they are just breeders also, do they get a say ??? where is the line drawn?? number of tanks or number of employees how do we keep check on who has what? then you get to another issue I dont wanna sell 1 or 2 clowns, its not worth my time, its a royal pain to do things like work out shipping, your supposed to do things(setup accounts jump thru loops ...) if you ship livestock thru places like fedex and such, then I have to deal with taxes and such I have to collect sales tax, I have to keep a reciept, and come tax time i have to count the reciepts add things up and send the state $$$$$$$$ while i still have to do the work my <50 reciepts a year are easy now im gona have what 100 or 200 or ?? then I have to deal with dead fish do I refund do i make them return a dead one to me, or just all sales final. no thanks. so the next maybe would be to list the places I sell to, so people could contact them, well ok but now my private sale isnt so private, and I am being an ?agent?(grab the legal term yourself if you want it) for the LFS, now say i jump on RC and someone has just installed a 5000gph wet dry on his 20gal reef, and i do something stupid like say tell him to "get a clue" and he sees this link he can now go after the LFS, maybe not win anything, but now the LFS is involved and so am I again. and now we know that the rules wont be bent for the LFS, so I cant post the "purple people eaters available at supersmelly fish store at 1245 idonno, state of confusion" label. and what does a company like ORA do there, list 10,000,000 fish stores and I know that IF i advertised the sale of a species of fish that Id sell all i have in a day. the LFS's would not be so happy then, and we have just killed any chance I had with working with an online vendor.

and I am just breeding out of my garage(*anywhere* else in the house a tank fits) trying to make a buck and have fun with fish.

hopefully I made some sence in that, and you understand that for every good thought are 50 reasons it might not work and some of those are less important, but others are very important. if someone spends the time it could be good to have. but this is part of the "time" some how this needs to be put together so no one is so upset(?) by what is done that it falls apart.
Old 03/31/2004, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

i understand that it would be a headache
ya it would become bigger than your garage pretty quickly i am guessing
it would be cool if i could get a captive bred mandarin here though
Old 04/13/2004, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

This is all fine but where in Calgary(the prairies) am I supposed to get my hands on captive bread stock?
Old 04/13/2004, 08:32 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by danny zubot
This is all fine but where in Calgary(the prairies) am I supposed to get my hands on captive bread stock?
More one breeder here on RC has an import/export permit. I am sure something could be worked out.

Heck the seahorse people do it with CITES rules in place in the EU.
Old 04/13/2004, 09:16 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

I won't mention names... But I am aware of at least one major hatchery that ships regularly to Canada.
Old 03/11/2005, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

i know this might sound simplistic, but even the petco posts if they are tank raised here in NY.

Plus if they are small juvenile specimens, it's hard to see how it would be worth the effort of a scuba diver to wild harvest.
Old 10/11/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

hey

not to sound like a jerk or anything but this is the very reason that alot of us don't buy CB fish much its far to difficult to find them. i completely support the idea of CB fish and i buy them whenever possible from online but its impossible to find all you fish CB when you live in the middle of nowhere like i do.
Old 10/11/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Re: hey

Quote:
Originally posted by orestes19832003
not to sound like a jerk or anything but this is the very reason that alot of us don't buy CB fish much its far to difficult to find them. i completely support the idea of CB fish and i buy them whenever possible from online but its impossible to find all you fish CB when you live in the middle of nowhere like i do.
Wow this thread was resurected from the dead!!! Last post was over 2 years ago and the majority of the thread was from 3 years ago... If you look at many online retailers' sites they are now listing captive raised fish. An example would be liveaquaria.com You would also be surprised to know how large of a percentage of clowns in the industry are now from captive sources.
Old 10/15/2007, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Liveaquaria.com lists 19 different fish in their tank bred section. I would call that a pretty good selection.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 10/15/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

marine betta's and seahorses
Old 10/26/2007, 10:27 AM
Seahorse Wrangler

Premium Aquatics also lists TR's.