Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

View Poll Results: Should exposure to 2nd hand smoke from a parent to a child be considered child abuse
Yes 48 61.54%
No 26 33.33%
No opinion 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02/08/2005, 02:44 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
ahhh but cocaine is illegal. I've never seen a smoker following a non smoker around blowing smoke in their face.
but most smokers walking down the street just exhale the rank stench of smoke and the unlucky person behind the smokers gets it full faced.
Old 02/08/2005, 02:46 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilafur
but most smokers walking down the street just exhale the rank stench of smoke and the unlucky person behind the smokers gets it full faced.
well thems the brakes of living in a overcrowded civilation of people that are all very differnt from eachother.

I'm not saying its right - I'm just tired of people hating on smokers.
Old 02/08/2005, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

I dont smoke but feel the same when I see a smoker with children in the car as I do when I see parents taking overweight and lethargic kids to Mc Donalds.But the worse to me is when you see obese 12 year olds at a buffet restaraunt like Golden Corale or Ryans,what the heck is wrong with the parents.We usually go to those kinds of places when we are on vacation in Orlando and in a hurry.But my wife always gets nautious looking at the obese kids and people stuff bad choices down there face one plate after another.Heck one time we saw two obese grown ups about to fight and swing at each other because they where fighting over the last food item on a tray.They where yelling and cussing at each other and the employees had to break them apart.One thing you gotta love about Orlando is the entertainment starts at breakfast and doesnt end till you fall asleep.
Old 02/08/2005, 03:06 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
I'm not saying its right - I'm just tired of people hating on smokers.
well, i'm tired of hating on smokers.
Old 02/08/2005, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
you think its ok to ride my bike on a flat?

If not I'm stealing my sons big wheel - Nothing but trouble for me here.

anyone got a deck of cards? cards smacking spokes ussually drowns out the noise in my head.

Nobody is making you read this thread.

I'm not trying to be mean, it's just that this is a topic of opinion and that is what e'body is giving here, regardless of how you or anyone else feel about the opinions. This isn't an argument session, I believe it was prompted with a POLL.
Old 02/08/2005, 03:18 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bierluvre
Nobody is making you read this thread.

I'm not trying to be mean, it's just that this is a topic of opinion and that is what e'body is giving here, regardless of how you or anyone else feel about the opinions. This isn't an argument session, I believe it was prompted with a POLL.
well I'm sorry if it seems like I'm offended or something... I am nothing of the sort - just throwing in my opinions

why is it when someone else says "lets ride bikes" no one seems to be bothered by it but When I say something like that people decide its because I'm mad or something.
Old 02/08/2005, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

it just seemed like that's where (what seemed like) you're frustration began manifesting
Old 02/08/2005, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

i hate smokers who smoke is public and try to justify why they should be able to with every excuse in the book. it is child abuse to force your kids to sit through it. i love how 'special' we all think we are. so 'special' that we can't take responsibility for our actions. who is that attorney general anyway that has this 'proof' smoking is bad? hmmmm, those studies must be rigged. gotta love the thought of 'those are my kids, i own them, so i can raise them how i see fit. if i choose to smoke in a car, knowing the results are harmful to them, so be it, i OWN them.' great line of thought. what i always love is the, i quit while i was pregnant. ok so you showed some responsibility, why not carry it out? as a parent and an adult, you make sacrifices, it is a choice so wake up.
Old 02/08/2005, 03:49 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Just to prove what an oddball I am (like I need proof), I like the smell of second hand smoke! I have never smoked (tried it, didn't like it), but I grew up with a father who smoked all of his life (starting when he was a teenager) until it killed him (lung cancer at 62). I think it is unfair for smokers to subject others to second hand smoke especially in enclosed areas. But most of the smokers that I know are sensitive to this. I also know smokers who are VERY good parents, so I think it is important not to generalize.
Old 02/08/2005, 03:50 PM
I have no catchy title

I wish I was rich enough to go around blowing cocaine in the air.
Old 02/08/2005, 03:51 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

I absolutely believe that smoking in a car (or in the house) with kids is abuse. You are releasing toxins around your kid KNOWING what it can do to them.

I am also thrilled about the new laws not allowing people to smoke in public.

I have no problem if someone chooses to smoke (although in this day and age I don't understand why someone would make that choice), but I don't want to breathe it.

It doesn't have anything to do with smokers being BETTER than non-smokers. I just don't want to have to breathe the stuff.

And I definitely don't want to see little kids subjected to it.

Crystal
Old 02/08/2005, 03:53 PM
I have no catchy title

What about the rights of restaurant owners to go around blowing cocaine in the air? Er, I mean, decide whether their establishment should be smoking or non-smoking?
Old 02/08/2005, 03:54 PM
Started a 15g in 96'

Quote:
Originally posted by CrystalAZ

I have no problem if someone chooses to smoke (although in this day and age I don't understand why someone would make that choice), but I don't want to breathe it.

They don't choose, they are addicted
Old 02/08/2005, 03:56 PM
I have no catchy title

Yes, everyone is addicted to everything from birth! Free will is a thing of the past!
Old 02/08/2005, 04:00 PM
Moved On

well Most the people I know that are addicted have been smoking since they were in their early teens - I started when I was about 14 myself.

At that age you dont respect the studies and health hazards you are taught about near as much.

Old enough to know better, still to young to care. Then when they start to care - They see why they shoulda cared back then.
Old 02/08/2005, 04:02 PM
Moved In

Butt suckers unite!!!!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 02/08/2005, 04:04 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Niven
They don't choose, they are addicted
Agreed! Most smokers that I know would gladly give it up. With the patches, and gum, and hypnosis, etc, etc, it seems like every smoker I know has tried to quit at one time or another.
I have no catchy title

BrianD is into all that sick stuff. You should pm him. Buttsucking that is.
Started a 15g in 96'

If you want to quit you can quit.
Old 02/08/2005, 04:05 PM
I have no catchy title

I agree, although that would involve choice now wouldn't it?
Old 02/08/2005, 04:10 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Niven
If you want to quit you can quit.
Having seen so many people struggle with it, I am just glad I never started in the first place.
Old 02/08/2005, 04:16 PM
Moved On

I quit! Yah if You want to quit you can quit - I did!

But I had good motivation - Me and My husband decided to have children - so I got my butt in shape and quit smoking BEFORE i became pregnant. When I felt like having a cig I reminded myself that having one will only make it longer that I will have to wait to have children as I was not willing to become pregnant until I quit smoking for good.

often times those people I know that are trying to quit cant quit until something happens in their lives that gives them a real BIG motivation. such as children.

Now having a motivater like children or illness and still not making any effort to stop or at LEAST cut back - That is a very poor choice, and should be frowned opon.
Old 02/08/2005, 04:20 PM
Guardian of Little People

Thanks everyone for bringing this thread back from the brink.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 02/08/2005, 04:23 PM
Loan Shark Willy

yet you allow people to smoke in your home. hmm.

or am i reading your post incorrectly?
Old 02/08/2005, 04:28 PM
yawn

If everyone has problems with smoking I wish they would just outlaw it and get it over with. Smoking is legal, it's not indecent, what else do parents do that are not indecent that when done around children is child abuse?