Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

davis power???

hey everyone... i am out of town and called my apt complex to check the power situation. they are currently without power and had no idea when it would be back on. my mom is going to check on my tank right now, but does anyone in davis know when power is going to be restored? this is difficult to deal with from 300 miles away

thanks everyone.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:46 PM
I'm all wet!

They dont have a ETA

Its Only $100 Dollars dear....
Old 01/04/2008, 04:47 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

The good news is it looks like the worst of this storm is started to clear out of the area. There's another coming in but it's not supposed to be nearly as bad.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Registered Member

Hi Brooke. My guess is those in Davis won't be able to reply to your post since, as you said, they are without power. You might have better luck having your mom call the utilities herself.
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Registered Member

crap. ok.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bored4long
Hi Brooke. My guess is those in Davis won't be able to reply to your post since, as you said, they are without power. You might have better luck having your mom call the utilities herself.
ah. good point i guess i have nothing to do but wait at this point.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:22 PM
AKA:

Brooke -

I just heard on KCRA that there are 20,000 homes out in Davis and PG&E hopes to have power restored by tomorrow.

Hope your Mom can help you out!
Old 01/04/2008, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

my mom went over and floated some heat packs in ziplocks in the tank and put in a couple battery-operated air pumps. the water was 67 degrees when she got there but everything was still alive. she brought it up to about 69 and had to leave. i think that bought me at least a little time. mom rocks.

sherie (h20sidhe) is an angel and is transferring my critters to a tank she had set up already. i am so grateful to have such a generous friend (who also happens to be a very knowledgeable and experienced reefer)

i will still have a big project on my hands when i get back into town i'm sure the rock will have some die-off. i might set up another tank temporarily so the rock can go through whatever cycle it needs to without taking everything down with it.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Oh boy... that's not good. Brooke, I'm out of town as well. I just heard there was a power outage... I won't be able to make it back until tomorrow.

I'm already expecting the worst.

Last edited by eagleONE; 01/05/2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

I just got power back (Woodland). Hopefully, other areas (to include Davis) will be up shortly.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Will a GFCI turn back on once it's tripped?
Old 01/05/2008, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Brooke,

If it only got down to 67 for a few hours I bet you'll be okay. The cold tends to slow down the metabolism of the animals, and at colder temperatures more oxygen is dissolved in seawater. I've had SPS corals shipped minus heat packs in mid-winter before and the temps in the bag were in the low 60s. I've got my fingers crossed for ya...
Old 01/05/2008, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

jay: crossing my fingers for you as well. not sure about the gfci. i thought you had to reset them once they trip, but i am the wrong person to ask about that sort of thing. shoot steve a pm, i'm sure he would know.

matt: i'm not sure how long it was down that cold, but the report so far is that most of the fish ate after being transported and the corals are ok except for some sliming, which i'm not worried about.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

brooke- thats what I was thinking. I was hoping* that it would... i shall see tomorrow. hope yours are well.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:08 AM
Premium Member

hmmm...if gfi is tripped will it automatically come on when power is restored...

never thought about that; however, i have a biocube 8 at work w/gfi. when power goes out my b11 (battery operated air bubbler) comes on. when power comes back on, the b11 goes off. never thought about it...but i'm sure all my stuff comes back on when power is restored.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

Good luck brooke. I feel your pain. No power at my place either. Trying to keep stuff alive...
Old 01/05/2008, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

A power failure should not trip a GFCI in the first place. If a GFCI is tripped and then the power goes out it will not come back on when power is restored--it wouldn't make a very effective precaution against electric shock if this were the case! You have to manually reset the circuit when a GFCI trips.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

Power came back on around 5AM. The outage lasted about 20 hours. Unfortunately, my hold tank (while my 120G is down) is next to a sliding glass door in the coldest room of the house. The tank temperature was down to 58F. I did aerate the tank by stirring the water every so often, but there was nothing I could do about temperature. All the fish seems to be a live but a little stressed. Some of the corals appears unhappy. I expect to lose some corals - but not all (those damn aptasia probably survived. ).

Good luck Brook with your tank.

PS - Matt is correct on the GFCI.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Good luck with your tank too Minh. 20 hours no power seems hard to prepare for as these storms dont come often.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:11 PM
Got Salt?

Did you have Hot water Mihn?
I would have taken baggies of hot water and floated them in the tank, to try and keep the heat up..

Hope all turns out well.

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 01/05/2008, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

Herman - thanks. This is the first extended blackout we've had in 5+ years. Most of the blackouts are only for 1 or 2 hours. I don't know if I can persuade the wife to let me get a portable generator.

Steve - I didn't even think about bags of hot water. :P As long as my fish makes it, I'd be happy. I am going to start my 120G back up this month.

Minh
Old 01/05/2008, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

When120g back up, running with all contents transffered Minh? You said you'd start this month... Been waiting to see how it all turns out...
Old 01/05/2008, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

sorry to hear about your tank, minh. i definitely wasn't prepared for this either. i was most worried about my fish as well, specifically my black occ. pair because they have been with me the longest. i have far more money in all the corals, but something about those little guys just gets me. i would feel horrible if they didn't make it. good luck with yours.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Minh, you can have frags of anything I got from you (for free of course) if they don't make it.

Recent aquisitions:
Coral -> Ponape Seriatopora
Fish -> Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse)
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 01/05/2008, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Hey Brooke,

Here they are this morning. Cardinal ate more mysis than I could believe. Please note face, center-bottom, in rock. The other guy is just plain camera-shy.

Corals are still showing stress. Time will tell . . .