Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 10/14/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Sweepers

I want to throw out an unproven sweeper theory. I have never read anything regarding this issue.

I have noticed that if I regularly target feed my LPS they don't send out long sweepers. If I feed less, the sweepers appear. My theory is that they aren't hungry and don't need to spread out to search for food.

Does this make sense?

Is anyone else noticing this?
Old 10/15/2007, 11:18 AM
How a relationship works

I bet that is true. But low water flow also encourages sweepers also

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said
Old 10/15/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

also, the more the coral grows, the more room they'll want/need.

it may be happy now, but id guess once it gets to a sertain size/ proximity to another coral, it'll let those lil sweepers out
Old 10/16/2007, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

The question, I guess, is whether or not sweepers primarily collect food or clear the space around them of other corals/gorgonians (they probably do both, but to varying degrees). In reef crest environments space (and, by extension, access to light) is a more limiting factor than food, so it may be more advantageous for the sweepers to clear out space for additional growth. I don't really know anything about Euphyllia for example in the wild, so this is pure conjecture.
Old 10/16/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

If a tentacle is primarily for feeding it's a feeder by definition. Sweepers are longer than the coral's feeders and are used to clear space.
Old 10/16/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Question

What corals in general have sweepers? Or does every lps have them? Anyone got any pics of them? I've seen feeder tentacles but not necessarily sweepers....
Old 10/16/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

i always thought sweepers were just longer tentacles.

but then i saw this thing on animal planets blue planet series about corals, and how they like battle.

these sweepers look like really tiny spagetti, or like coral guts.

they only time i have seen these things in my tank was when i put TOOO much cockle on my baby scoly.

these things came out and dissolved the cockle flesh. (i hade to skim overtime that weekend)

but thats what a sweeper is right, not just long lookin clear feeding tentacles?
Old 10/16/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by G.SMITHII

but then i saw this thing on animal planets blue planet series about corals, and how they like battle.

they only time i have seen these things in my tank was when i put TOOO much cockle on my baby scoly.

these things came out and dissolved the cockle flesh. (i hade to skim overtime that weekend)

but thats what a sweeper is right, not just long lookin clear feeding tentacles?
I am replying to bump this because I am curious to learn more. A while back I had moved some things around in my tank and left some corals in temp locations overnight. I also wanted to keep track of some damage on 1 LPS for a few days. When I turned on the lights in the morning I saw these worm like things coming out of a few places in the coral. It took close to an hour for them to fully retract and I have a bunch of pictures somewhere of it.

I tried a few searches to ID what I saw and found similar pictures of what was coming out of my coral. There was another name for the sweepers that I can't remember. Now that it is placed in it's current location, I still see these things on the other side when my lights come on.

I will look for the pictures ASAP. Hoping someone has more information on this and can tell me if this is what I took pictures of. I know the stuff was not feeders. It comes out of an area where the flesh and skeletal tissue meet.
Old 10/16/2007, 10:49 PM
Geek

The white curly things you mention are basically teh corals guts the mesenterial (not sure if im spelling it right) fillaments.

I almost want to say its more than just a feeding response.

I have a piece of LR relatively away from any corals where I've mounted a small colony of favia. At night it always tosses out its feeders as well as a few sweepers. even when fed well. I notice the echinos and galaxea (though i dont own any galaxea) tend to do this more on just a regular basis.

I've seen it more as a defense mechanism in euphillias and a few other species.

Any ideas if this is just my own weird coral or has anyone else noticed a difference species by species?
Old 10/17/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by G.SMITHII

What you're describing sounds like mesenterial fillaments - which is the corals guts! Some species can pop these out through the side of the polyp even, and defend their perimeter that way. Somewhere around here (and in a Reefkeeping article) there's a picture of an acan lord (IIRC) with two big bundles of mesenteries attacking another coral.

Look here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=418315 about halfway down.

and it's in the reefslides here http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ides/index.php
Old 10/17/2007, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

The only sweepers I have seen in my tank are from my maze brain. But I would have to disagree with sweepers coming out only during low flow because I have seen basketball size frogspawn and slightly smaller hammers getting hit with direct flow from a powerhead and they had some mad sweepers.
Old 10/17/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

ahh cool. so that was the corals guts! sweeeeet.

those things are nasty yo! looks like they can do some damage.

but y'all are saying that there is a difference between mesenterial fillaments and sweepers?
Old 10/17/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Yep. Sweepers are just longer, meaner (more sting cells at the tip) tentacles.
Old 10/17/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

I've only ever noticed my favia putting out sweepers to kill nearby candy canes and one part of a frogspawn going after zoos and I don't feed all the frequently, maybe couple times a month.
Old 10/17/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

So is this the same thing in the pictures. They were taken about an hour apart. Is it attacking itself?
mesenterial filaments is the name I was trying to recall. They still come out at night but on the bottom side.

Old 10/17/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Nope, coral guts, distressed due to its current state.
Old 10/17/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thecichlidpleco
Thats what I was afraid of. But it was a free bee and was like that when I got it. Why do they come out at night and retract in the light? It has been in the tank for a while & is otherwise quite healthy.
Old 10/18/2007, 03:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thecichlidpleco
Anyone?
Old 10/23/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Perhaps if you provide it a good environment and feed it, it will recover.
Old 10/23/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fragmented
Perhaps if you provide it a good environment and feed it, it will recover.
Took those pictures a while back when I first got it. I havn't turned it around for a long while, but it has recovered alot better than I expected it to. Has grown quite a bit since then to.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

my torch puts out these long tentacles

Old 10/24/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Now those are sweepers! That bulb on the end (acrosphere?) has a large number of stinging cells.
Old 10/24/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Favids are pretty notorious for this, but Euphyllia are the champs! Also, all of their relatives produce sweepers..

Matthew
Old 10/26/2007, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Due to a Nasty call I received about the picture I posted.

I feel the need to give further details.

I received that piece from a site for 15$ (my idea of a free bee)

That is how it looked upon delivery.

I regret sending them a positive email right now.
I tried to make the best of it as I was happy with some of the shipment. (have never asked that they honor the 14 day guarantee after many orders) Only asked for reimbursement for the DOA's once in a while. (many DOA never even addressed)

I Did Not cause that coral's degeneration.
It arrived in that condition.
Old 10/26/2007, 06:37 AM
Registered Member

My torch puts out huge sweepers, sometimes 2-3 times longer than its normal tentacles, but I've never seen sweepers on my frogspawn and hammer coral, does anyone have pictures of their sweepers?