Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

View Poll Results: Which salt mix do you use?
Instant Ocean 158 28.06%
Reef Crystals 171 30.37%
Marine Enterprises Crystal Sea Marinemix 4 0.71%
Marine Enterprises Crystal Sea Bioassay Laboratory Formula 7 1.24%
Oceanic 49 8.70%
Red Sea Coral Pro 67 11.90%
Instant Ocean/Oceanic 50/50 mix 8 1.42%
Tropic Marin Sea Salt 36 6.39%
Tropic Marin PRO-REEF 41 7.28%
SeaChem Marine Salt 4 0.71%
SeaChem Reef Salt 27 4.80%
Kent Sea Salt 20 3.55%
Marine Environment dual phase formula 7 1.24%
Coralife Scientific Grade Marine Salt 22 3.91%
OceanPure PRO 6 1.07%
Catalina NSW 9 1.60%
Another form of natural saltwater 8 1.42%
Other salt mix 15 2.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 563. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09/30/2007, 08:12 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Salt mix poll

Which salt mix do you use?
Old 09/30/2007, 08:24 PM
Charleston Reefer

Reef Crystals

I used Oceanic, IO and even the io/oceanic mix.
Old 09/30/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

i'm not sure what the point of this is, but it is obvious that the most people are going to use IO cause it has be around forever and can be found at pretty much every petshop that has anything to do with saltwater aquariums. Anyways, I voted Red Sea Coral Pro cause that is what I'm trying now and believe it to be one of the newer salts that has the most promise. I read somewhere in one of the newer tests that is being done, that for some reason IO salt seemed to have issues with Cyanobacteria in controlled tests. It also has low levels of very important reef related items such as calcium and magnesium. Which isn't a big deal for a fish only tanks. I don't like to add things to my salt to make them usable for a reef aquarium. I just want to make sure new reefers are aware that just because IO is getting a high vote definitely does not mean it is the best reef salt, because it is far from it. It really isn't usable for reef at all unless you bring the levels up with other products or mix it with other salts that have high values in areas where IO is lacking

Last edited by oct2274; 09/30/2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09/30/2007, 08:47 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

I used to use Catalina, now I generally use io/oceanic mix, unless either Ca or alk is out of whack, then I use them individually.
Old 09/30/2007, 09:07 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Quote:
Originally posted by oct2274
i'm not sure what the point of this is, but it is obvious that the most people are going to use IO cause it has be around forever and can be found at pretty much every petshop that has anything to do with saltwater aquariums. Anyways, I voted Red Sea Coral Pro cause that is what I'm trying now and believe it to be one of the newer salts that has the most promise. I read somewhere in one of the newer tests that is being done, that for some reason IO salt seemed to have issues with Cyanobacteria in controlled tests. It also has low levels of very important reef related items such as calcium and magnesium. Which isn't a big deal for a fish only tanks. I don't like to add things to my salt to make them usable for a reef aquarium. I just want to make sure new reefers are aware that just because IO is getting a high vote definitely does not mean it is the best reef salt, because it is far from it. It really isn't usable for reef at all unless you bring the levels up with other products or mix it with other salts that have high values in areas where IO is lacking
This is the point: lab analysis of salt mixes
Old 09/30/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Ok, but why would we test a salt that isn't made for reefs.......lets not waste money or resources on salts that aren't made for reef use. Lets just focus on reef related salts. Reef Crystals would be the updated version of IO. The poll will also be more biased towards salts that are easier to find locally and that are older like IO.
Old 09/30/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

here is another one that I don't think I've seen any info on, I think it might be new.

http://www.aqua-medic.com/reef_salt.shtml
Old 09/30/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

I vote for the Res Sea coral pro...im sure others are fine though..

i dont do anything but 15g WC's weekly on my 110g totall system and everything is very healthy

X.....................................

Click the house for my thread
Old 09/30/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

you might still have time to edit the name of the post or have a moderator do it so it doesn't lead people to believe the salts that get the highest votes are the best. I would just name the post "Which reef salts would you like to see tested" or something along those lines.
Old 09/30/2007, 09:32 PM
Professional Obfuscator

I use the regular Ocean Pure...not the Pro...lol...it wasn't in that huge long list!
Old 09/30/2007, 09:41 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

oct2274: I am confused, which shouldn't be tested?

I have no idea how "Which salt mix do you use?" would imply that highest votes are best?
Old 09/30/2007, 09:43 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Ok, but why would we test a salt that isn't made for reefs.......lets not waste money or resources on salts that aren't made for reef use. Lets just focus on reef related salts. Reef Crystals would be the updated version of IO. The poll will also be more biased towards salts that are easier to find locally and that are older like IO.
What the point in not testing the salt most people use?
Old 09/30/2007, 09:47 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

USC- I didn't understand that either. Anyways, the poll is just an informal idea of how many people are using each of the salts...
Old 09/30/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

True, it will definitely show new reefers that don't know better that IO is not a good choice unless they like supplementing or mixing with another salt. My main purpose of coming in here is because a poll like this will mislead new reefers. If i was new and wondering which salt to use I would choose IO or Reef Crystals because that is what the most people use, not knowing any better.
Old 09/30/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Im useing Tropic marin proreef,Its a little moore exspensive than some of the others. So cost of a premium salt over investment of tank is really worth while. ( I think so)
Old 09/30/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

wow, i didnt know there were even that many salt mixes haha

i just use the cheap instant ocean from drsfostersmith and works great
Old 09/30/2007, 10:35 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

I really don't think the actual usage is this spread out...
Old 09/30/2007, 10:39 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
True, it will definitely show new reefers that don't know better that IO is not a good choice unless they like supplementing or mixing with another salt. My main purpose of coming in here is because a poll like this will mislead new reefers. If i was new and wondering which salt to use I would choose IO or Reef Crystals because that is what the most people use, not knowing any better.
What is wrong with reef crystals???
Old 09/30/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

I'm not saying anything is wrong with Reef Crystals lol, I'm just saying it may not be the best around. People tend to buy it cause it is cheap, works, and is easy to find.
Old 09/30/2007, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

I'll take the blame for this poll as it was my suggestion -- We're only trying to get a simple sample here of the popularity of various salt mixes on the market in an attempt to try to narrow down which brands to use in the lab analysis, though just because a salt isn't popular doesn't necessarily mean it won't be included in the comparison. Not all people answering this survey will have reefs, some may be running FO or FOWLR tanks. Hopefully the result of the analysis will better aide us (including newbies) in choosing an appropriate salt for our tanks.

If your salt mix (or natural seawater source) isn't listed, please post and let us know what you're using.
Old 09/30/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

I use Reef Crystals. I don't have to add anything to the new salt water. Plus it tests consistently and is readily available. My next choice would be Red Sea Coral Pro.
Old 10/01/2007, 02:50 AM
saltwater in my veins

I use reef crystals but may switch to Seacheam reef salt.
Old 10/01/2007, 04:48 AM
Aquarium Addict

Red Sea Pro Coral. That's what they use at my LFS.
Old 10/01/2007, 08:56 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Quote:
Originally posted by cd77
I'll take the blame for this poll as it was my suggestion -- We're only trying to get a simple sample here of the popularity of various salt mixes on the market in an attempt to try to narrow down which brands to use in the lab analysis, though just because a salt isn't popular doesn't necessarily mean it won't be included in the comparison. Not all people answering this survey will have reefs, some may be running FO or FOWLR tanks. Hopefully the result of the analysis will better aide us (including newbies) in choosing an appropriate salt for our tanks.

If your salt mix (or natural seawater source) isn't listed, please post and let us know what you're using.
Its kind of sad that we now have to take the blame on threads opened in a public forum
Old 10/01/2007, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

IO/Oceanic mix