Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2007, 09:58 AM
Kiss my Wrasse

SirJohn, I did not know it was a special order....I guess it worked out for me.

The sides do have a background its black, but for whatever reason they look mirrored....I painted my last tank a dark blue, which lightened up considerably as soon as the lights went on. This time I wanted to try black without actually committing...
Old 09/25/2007, 01:41 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Return Pump Broke

So this past weekend, to my dismay, my return pump broke. When I was finalizing under my sump I noticed that some water was coming from the pump around the return section right below where the return hose plugs in. I started taking the return assembly a part and found the nozzle in the OR 2500 broke.

This is when I was thankful that I had spare return pump. I put this in temporarily.

I was able to use some PVC glue to hold it together, but then another piece of it broke. Aquamedic is sending me a new assembly, unfortunately this is considered wearable parts, so I had to pay for it.

This happening reminded me of an article I just read:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/gh/index.php
Old 09/25/2007, 02:50 PM
I'm Addicted!!

How far down south do you live?
Old 09/25/2007, 03:04 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Boynton
Old 10/05/2007, 09:14 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

So I decided to change out the xm10k for a phoenix 14k. The XM washed the colors way out too much for my liking, and since I could not add more supplement, I had to change bulbs. So far I am very happy with the change, but they bulb has only been in for 1/2 hour. Craig (Mkarston) mentioned that they burn a little blue until break in is complete, so I am looking forward to seeing these progress as its jjust a tad blue for me. Finally though, my colors are not washed out and I think this was the right decision.

I have not updated any pics for a while so here are a few recent pics. They were taken yesterday, and really are not very good. I really need to learn to use my camera better and/or get a new camera. Craig, where are you when I need you . There are some nice things that dont even show up here, like a mint acro, my candycane, a green monti, orange ric, shrooms, zoo's, echino, .... .

This is of the sump:

Another sump shot:

FTS:

Old 10/06/2007, 05:10 AM
Premium Member

Looks great.... yeah like i said, give it a week or two to let the 14k bulbs burn in. Its good to see that perc is happy; its probably been 3 plus years now since I got him originally. Yeah, I find photographing my aquarium to be one of the most difficult things, and having a camera where I can adjust all the parameters manually definitely helps.

Keep us updated, and the pictures coming....
Old 10/06/2007, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Ive got a 92g corner tank also, and would like to buy a hood for it like Husky's.
Anybody know where I could buy one like it, or someone who would build one for me?
Unfortunately, of the limited skills I do have, carpentry isn't one of them.
Thanks
Ed
Old 10/06/2007, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Looking good husky. Great move on the phoenix 14k. Much better than the 10k XM in my opinion, or even the Ushio 10k. In my previous tank, I found that 14k was my sweet spot...
Hooper: That makes a lot of sense.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:06 AM
Kiss my Wrasse

Yeah, the 14k are much nicer. Now that they are close to burned in, I am pretty happy.
Old 10/30/2007, 01:31 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Over the past few weeks I have been very busy. My wife and I had a boy on 10-09, he is our first.

In the mean time, since I last gave a real update. I have added a Solarensis wrasse and a female carpenter. I dont have pics of the carpenters yet, but she has been in the tank for 3 weeks.

I will be adding a male carpenters flasher next, its just a matter of finding one.

Since I have not added any FTS's lately here is one from 10/16:

Another
Old 10/30/2007, 01:47 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Also, I have added an orange Ricordia, 2 new types of zoos and a ORA blue green tort. I don't have any pictures of the tort or the zoos. Unfortunately one frag of the zoos came unglued from the rock and is MIA...

Also, I bought an innovative aquatics, nautilus 2, dosing pump from a local reefer (thanks compulou), and received the tubing and AC controller. I should be installing this by the end of the week.

Here are some pics of other corals.
Ricordia

Echinopora

CandyCane

Shrooms:

Behind the clown you can see the leather
Old 10/30/2007, 01:50 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Current Inventory

My current inventory of corals includes:

Candycane
Green Monticap
Neon Toadstool
Frogspawn
Ora German Blue
Superman Danae
Mint Acropora
GSP
At least 6 variety of Zoa's (I am not big on names)
Green button polyps
Xenia (I keep it in high flow area and seperated for now)
Various Mushrooms at least 4 different ones
Ora blue green tort
Echinopora (I think its a chalice)
1 small finger leather (this guy was getting stung by GSP and I have not found a happy place for him yet)

Fish:
1 false perc (Craigfish)
1 solarensis wrasse (deuce)
1 Female Carpenters Flasher (porche)

Inverts etc:
2x large Red leg hermits
Bunch of small blue legged hermits
A few Mexican Turbos
Bunch of Astrea snails
2 x nassarius snails
1 x Brown Brittle star
2 x Unidentified bivalves (they were hitchhikers on LR)
Chaeto in the sump

Here was my last water test results:
10/30/2007
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.023
Akalinity (meg/l) 3.5
Ph 8.1 no lights
Temperature 78
Calcium (ppm) 345 (Dosing this up to 450)
Magnesium 1300 (Dosing this up to 1500)
Phosphate meg/l .25 (Or less)
Old 10/30/2007, 03:23 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Dale the tank is looking great! Any growth on the superman since you got it from me? That was a while ago, did you keep your old tank set up until this one was ready?
Old 10/30/2007, 04:32 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Hey Erik,
Thanks for the compliment.
After I got the superman from you, it started loosing its color slowly. Probably because of the old under powered lights, higher Po4 and tank moves. Because of shared resources, I moved all of my stock to a 10g holding tank for about 2 weeks. By the time I put the guy in this tank, the blue had dulled to a greyish color and the red was more of a maroon. Happily, in the past couple week the blue started coming back and the polyps are more red. I have a feeling that it will be really happy in this tank. The lighting will be more in line with what it needs, but that is the same for all of my SPS. I tried taking a pic of this guy, but since its small and towards the back of my tank, I have a hard time with my old sony P&S 3mp camera.

The German blue I got from you has some growth, great polyp extensions and the flesh has a nice color. I cannot find a sweet spot to get the polyps blue though...Since I have "fragged" (accidental branch break) this, I have a small piece I will move around to find a good combo of lights/flow. From what I have read, they like medium flow, medium light.

The confusa i got from you is MIA. This was one of the few frags not glued and it fell underneath my stack. I did not have it glued because I was looking for a nice spot for it too...When you get back in town I would love to talk about another frag of the confusa though.
Old 10/30/2007, 10:09 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Yea man, I'm happy to work something out for the Confusa frag. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out well. I'm glad to hear that everything else is doing well though. Let me know when you find the sweet spot for the German Blue. I think I'm going to sell one of the colonies, so I would like to color it up first. I think it liked the 10k XM bulbs more than the 14k that are on it now. I bet it grows like a weed in your tank though.

I'll let you know when I'm coming down again and we can catch up. Take care, and congratulations on your first born (even though that was a little while ago).
Old 11/03/2007, 03:21 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

I finally had a chance to hook up my 2 part doser. I bought a Nautilis 2 from a local reefer. I had to buy the 2 line tubing, and the A/C timer adapter before i could get it going. I will have start off with about 40ml/day of each part, and will only pump during the night. Dosing at night will help keep PH up during the night.

For reservoirs I decided to go with the plastic breadcontainers, these have the perfect footprint and hold about 2 gallons each, so that means less mixing .

Here are some pics of the the ATO and 2 part. You can see the reservoirs and dosing pump on the right hand side:

another

Here is the latest FTS, taken today. I did a little aquascaping. Last week I took a piece off of the front top left, today I cleaned up the front center low area.
Old 11/03/2007, 05:28 PM
Reef Ready

Looking good there Husky. Any complaints about the corner bow thus far. It's been one of my favorite tanks.
Old 11/03/2007, 05:54 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

No problems so far, i love the footprint. It can be tough to fit stuff, but it has taught me about spacially effeciency
Old 11/04/2007, 03:11 AM
Reef Ready

One other question regarding lighting. Do you think that you would've been able to cover the entire tank had you gotten a larger Lumenarc like the L3?
Old 11/04/2007, 08:43 AM
Kiss my Wrasse

Chem,
I am not sure I would want a bigger light fixture . I like having the t5's, they act as great supplements to my MH, are cooler than MH, and are great for tweaking your color just right. If I went with something bigger there would be no room for actinic supplements.

Another bonus of having this reflector is that I like mixed reefs, with the single smaller 250 it allows for some less lighted areas, perfect for softies and LPS. Of course these less lighted areas still get a good amount of light. I think it would always be tough to get a full MH exposure over the whole tank no matter what, but I could be wrong.

If i were to do my lighting over, I would probably go with a Single Ended setup, mainly because of the better par. I would have also done a single IC 660 instead of the 2 retro kits I got from reefgeek. The only reason I say that is because I can only fit 3 lights and the 660 would run them.

I would like to see if other people have had good results going the way you suggested though. There is no reason, other than $, I could not change it out in the future if there are benefits
Old 11/04/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Really like the new aquascape. Looks much more open. Bet flow will be much better as well. Looks great. I had a 92 corner about 6 years ago when they first came out. Wasn't set up nearly as nice as yours and was a pain to deal with. I think you have addressed all the issues. Looks good.
Old 11/05/2007, 08:53 AM
Kiss my Wrasse

Thanks Adam.
Old 11/05/2007, 09:08 AM
Nano Reefer

Congrats on the new baby!

Tank looks fantastic so far
Old 11/05/2007, 10:39 AM
Reef Ready

Congrats on the baby frag.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:11 AM
Kiss my Wrasse