Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Fragging Attached shrooms?

I have a huge rock of just awesome pink/purple shrooms. I'd like to work on getting frags of it going, their all attached well to this big rock, any suggestions on how i should begin going about fragging this? Rather not take a hammer and just burst it to pieces Tho i could insert a small piece of tnt just a thumnail worth
Old 08/21/2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

scalpel at the base f the mushroom then put fruit netting on it and a new tank

Jack
Old 08/21/2007, 11:28 PM
Friend to Vallonia

There's a tutorial/article here: http://www.kaotica.com/frag/diy/shroom/

They're not too hard to frag. If you leave some of the mushroom on the rock, it will grow a new head. You can cut the whole head off, and either just attach that with netting to a piece of rubble rock, or cut the head into sections and attach those to rocks. Using the whole head will give you a larger mushroom faster, cutting it up will give you more mushrooms, but they'll take longer to grow.
Old 08/22/2007, 04:01 PM
Ricordea ¤ Addict

Slice them at the base with a sharp razor and leave part of the foot behind, then use one of the many methods available to attach them (jar-o-rubble, bridal veil, needle and nylon thread, filter sock + rubble, etc).

If you don't want to cut them use a rotary tool (ie. a dremel) or wet tile saw to cut the rock up. You could also try a hammer and chisel if you're brave.

I am a proud member of the Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society (CMAS). If you're in the Maryland area check us out!
Old 08/23/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

When I want to frag my shrooms I leave the light off the night before, the next day they are way more extended than normal. The base is usually stretched skyward and clearly visible. The I just cut the head off leaving some flesh behind to regrow. I figure there are dark stormy days in nature, so a random dark day in my tank is fine, although my xenia hates it and usually looks pretty ragged for a couple days.
School of 5 Green Chromis
Blue Morpho Tang
Yellow Tang
Pink Spotted Goby
Old 08/23/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

So then how long does it usually take for the new piece of mushroom to regrow to a full mushroom?
Old 08/24/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

Depends on the type of shroom and your system. Discoma and rhodactis usually skin over in 2 days and get their color back in a week. Rics and yumas skin over (actually the hole just seals shut) almost as quickly but usually take a few weeks to regrow pseudotentacles and get color. Once they color back up, all of my shrooms take different times to reach max size, my blue discoma being the fastest, my pink Yuma being the slowest.
School of 5 Green Chromis
Blue Morpho Tang
Yellow Tang
Pink Spotted Goby
Old 08/31/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

www.reefvideos.com

5th row down, "fragging mushrooms"

I'm broke!
Old 09/03/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Just snip the head off . attach the head to a piece of rock and the base will grow another one ,very quickly.
Old 09/08/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Lotus thanks for the link, that had all the information I needed