Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/19/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

questions about building a website

I want to build a website to post my frags, DIY projects, propagation techniques and some other things along the same lines. I know that I need to get a domain name and a webhost, but is there anything special I will need to do since there will be things for sale/trade on the site?

I know that if its a business I need business permits and such but I am not going that far at this time so thats why I wonder if I will need to do anything else.
Old 03/19/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

Most webhosting companies include eCommerce software with their plans. You can use paypal so that you dont have to have a merchant account.
Old 03/19/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

thanks do you have suggestion as to what one to use it seems like there are as many companies out there to host websites as there are websites
Old 03/20/2007, 03:10 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Check out 1and1.com
Old 03/22/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

I looked at 1and1.com and have on question when it says im registering one domain name that means that I get the sub domains with it doesn't it?
Old 03/22/2007, 02:06 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

yes, when you register a domain you get the subs also. But!! make sure they're not going to charge you to use them in the future.

here's the deal with hosting plans.... Most of the one's that are extremely cheap nickel and dime the **** out of you for every little thing you want to do. It's best to get a plan that's middle of the road that allows you room to grow.

The main things you should be concerned with are:

Bandwidth: This is also known as data transfer. It dictates how many visitors can view your site a month. Works much the same way cell phone minutes do.

Storage: Also known as Disk Space. If you're going to be posting lots of large image you're gonna need a good amount of disk space. A gig is usually standard on most accounts but can go as high as hundreds of gigs. I would say that starting off for you a gig would be sufficient.

Support: Make sure the company you're dealing with has a good support policy. There's nothing more frustrating than waiting days to hear back from a hosting company while your site remains down.
Old 03/22/2007, 03:15 PM
"Old Yeller"

A real word of caution here, (and I deal with this daily as a hosting provider)

Many of the companies that offer a "Free domain name" often retain ownership of that "Free domain"

You are FAR FAR better off you purchase your domain name separate of any/all hosting services. Use a host that allows you to purchase your domain name separately from services....

Domain names cost $8 or less for a .com and there is no reason to spend more... some such as *****solutions say "our service is better" is pretty much bull.... pick up a phone and call godaddy anytime you like and you will get a live person...

1and1 is one of the largest, but you also get to deal with so-so support, most giants are pretty much the same way, if you find a smaller host, you will likely have better luck as a new webmaster
Old 03/24/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

thanks for all the heads up. Im still in the process of making the website and deciding how I want it setup but im getting closer to having to choose a host and things like that so your advice is very appreciated.