Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Coral & Livestock Trading

Old 08/12/2005, 04:36 PM
Sps Junkie

UPS damaged my shipped box of coral? Any info?

Gang-

I need some help here? I sent a box yesterday via UPS by the receiver's request.. It was only to be delievered about two hours from my house and ups was showing 1 day delivery and thats why he wanted that.

Low and behold, I just tracked it seeing how the guy said he did not get it yet. Its showing that its damaged! Here is the kicker. My wife shipped it for me. Never told them what it was, I think she said it was electronics of something of that nature..

Now this guy paid me $80.00 and I intend on refunding him his money. But the person at the postal store that I shipped it at said everything has an insured value of $100.00 but because I didn't clarify what I was hipping, he is unsure what they will do?

Am I out the money loss for my coral? The buyer is NOT I am refunding him his part. But what about my loss? Also could I be in any trouble? Well the wife any rate.. She is the one that shipped it...LOL..

I know this is NOT a trade post but can someone offer me some help?

Thanks
Spankey.
Old 08/12/2005, 04:56 PM
Delaware Valley Reef Club

Sal,
Did you try calling UPS directly? I know they have a hub right near me. I have called them before and picked up packages there. maybe you can find out where it is and pick it up before its too late?

Prop&Save!
...Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure...
Old 08/12/2005, 04:58 PM
Bulletproof cup tester

I'm assuming that it's leaking, and that's why it's been labled "damaged". As far as refunds, I don't think UPS insures live animals. And to top it off, if she lied about the contents, I'm sure they will deny your claim.
Sorry about the loss tho.
Old 08/12/2005, 05:05 PM
Sps Junkie

Argg

Thats what I figured...Oh well.. I need to refund the guy his cash.. Thats no issue there.. But I am out 3 ricordia heads, and two really nice zoo frags.. My loss is a learning experience.. Never again!!! Local pick up only..

Thanks for the info gang..

spankey.
Old 08/12/2005, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

Yeah... UPS changed their policy... you can't ship live animals through them any more.
Old 08/12/2005, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

FedEx also has the same rules.
Old 08/12/2005, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

I don't know what those guys at ups do over there, but they sure are rough on packages. I just had the same situation, I shipped a package that was tripple bagged and sealled up well when it left, but by the time it got to it's destination it was DOA. watter drained out of inner bag and coral was done!
I felt terrible about the whole thing, I thought it was packed pretty well, but it must have gotten really jostled around to cause that.
Live and learn!

Chris
Old 08/12/2005, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

My package was to be shipped to Canton Ga. FedEx shipped it to Canton Ohio. It was an act of congress but did get the shipping money back. They would not cover the corals that were shipped.
I think they must have people working for them that just might not can read a label.
Old 08/13/2005, 08:52 AM
Hammy Bird

I cant stand UPS....... I recieve about 4 packages a week (aquarium and PC supplies). On average twice a week its either misdelivered (wrong address or wrong city, state) or damaged.

Example: two days ago I get a package from Custom Aquatic. 2 gallons of B-Ionic and some Salifert test kits. First, package left at a neighbors door step even though it was clearly marked my address (my house is VERY clearly marked). I open it and find the "green bag" meaning they busted a gallon of b-ionic and bagged it up and delivered it anyway..... what tha ****?? Why cant they just contact the shipper themselves and resolve this? Whats the point in bringing me a soaking wet package thats now 8lbs light, not to mention test kits that are missing their boxs, instructions and some of the reagents?

I will NEVER ship via UPS..... its a shame when USPS is more reliable.
Old 08/13/2005, 08:53 AM
Hammy Bird

OOPS..... my bad... i meant twice a month... not twce a week!

They arent that bad..... but bad enough!
Old 08/13/2005, 10:29 AM
Bulletproof cup tester

Looking at FedEx's website, here is a direct quote regarding shipping fish/corals:

Quote:
Originally posted at FedEx.com
Ornamental Marine Life (Including Live Fish)

Shipments containing ornamental marine life must be preapproved by our Live Animal Desk - call 1.800.405.9052. In addition, packaging for live fish must be tested and approved for acceptance by FedEx Packaging Design and Development prior to shipment. If there are any questions regarding the testing process, please call 1.800.633.7019. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions that may be encountered.
Old 08/13/2005, 02:55 PM
Moved On

Our fedex here takes live goods all the time, we just have to mark it so, and packaged it as good as humanly possible, along with adding heat or cold packs depending on the weather at the time of shipments, they have however told us that they will not cover the loss of live animals, so therefore the insurance is of no use.

Also usps will ship them but again must be marked, and im unsure as to thier policy on insurance claims regarding livestock as I have never had to file a claim with them for anything, so that being said, the only one who can and will sometimes offer replacement, and usually of the livestock only, is the shipper/seller of the livestock in question.

So that all being said we need to keep up the good trading chain and get the stuff spread out all over the map, so that anyone and everyone from anywhere and everywhere can get these corals that are out here without having to mail/internet order everything they ever get, which basically sucks.

Wouldnt have this attitude but recently we bought several hi priced pieces, a couple even from people on here, and the corals for whatever reason die off, and its not because of bad water quality, as it is checked regularly, both by myself with salifert tests, and also the lfs with whatever tests they use, and it checks out fine, not to mention everything else in the tank is doing great.

But point being when you spend 400 dollars for 50 polyps of zoanthids, or 300 for an acan labeled an orange crush, only to get the zos an have all but 10 of the 50 polyps die off, or in the case of the acan a majorly doctored photo, and both people say sorry, nothing we can do basically, unless we want to buy another piece of it lol, what a joke, the insurance wouldnt help in either of these cases, and thats the problem I have.

Overpriced stuff, that doesnt get backed up by the people who sell it, and then want to hide behind the no insurance on livestock clause and say it was due to the shipping or something and basically screw us average working hobbiests out of our way hard earned money, I for one am super picky about who I order from, and unless your a dumb*** you wont be buying corals or whatever without knowing your water is ok to add them.

Wont say any names here but I was really t'd off when the guy who sold us the zos would do nothing but offer to sell me more of them at the rediculous price of 400 bucks, when I wanted them to only replace the other 40 that died off anyhow, ah well, maybe not his fault, but still people who sell should be willing to offer replacements if reasonable proof is delivered of the animals condition.

Anyhow sorry to drag on, and probably should have posted a whole thread lol, but this is touchy subject with me as im a working stiff, and can barely afford to maintain the hobby, let alone re-investing in it all the time, because a coral died for whatever reason, and people who somehow get the real nice stuff, shouldnt try to get rich quick and gouge the crap out of people for the smallest pieces you can imagine.

Thanks and good luck with your reefs.
Old 08/19/2005, 03:56 AM
Registered Member

It is'nt only UPS.
I recently shipped corals from Wi to Ill. It was suppose to take 1 day via Fedex ground.
Instead of shipping them to Franklin park, Ill. they shipped them to Franklin, Wi.
It ended up taking 3 days after they lost them twice.
After they were delivered they still did'nt know where they were and prolly still looking for them lol.
I can't believe they don't go by/look at zipcodes instead of city.

I can understand them not guarenteeing live animals if the shipment is on time but don't understand at all how they can lose your package and then say oh well too bad it was live corals so we don't have to pay.
I don't care what's in the package. If they lose it or damage it I think it should be covered under the insurance.
What is the insurance for anyway if it doesnt cover anything?

I'm still waiting to here about the claim but am sure I know the answer already.
This week I had another package to ship to Ill. and Fedex said 2 days but UPS said 1 day so went with UPS.
It was delivered by 11am the next day.

I myself have gotten damaged packages by all of them and had screw ups also in transit so don't think any of them are better than others.

kass
Old 08/19/2005, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

I just shipped and had delivered some zoos through UPS(didn't tell them what it was)... worked out fine..... but I always worry when I ship stuff.

One time they held a package for 4 days and the only reason the tracking info gave me was "held for inspection beyond UPS responsibility". When I called and asked about it they said that it was a government inspection and not their fault.... in the middle of waiting to make my ins claim it was delivered. Oddly enough the zoos survived and I didn't have to replace anything..... other than this I've had pretty good luck with UPS.