Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/20/2006, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

verde_ad- I agree with what you are saying, I should just go for it. But for a fish that will cost me nearly $50 I thought I would see what some of the experiences people here at RC have had before I make that choice.
Old 11/20/2006, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

I am a full supporter of research. But what I have found is sometimes we get caught up in the details and never take risks. The question is, is it worth the risk.

We shouldn't be foolish, but lots of people keep wrasses and very few people have glass tops.

AJ
Old 11/20/2006, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

verde_ad-Well said thank you.
Old 11/20/2006, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

I hate to spend $50 for fish, take care of it for a month in quarantine then have him go carpet surfing. There isn't an infinite number of these fish in the wild. I was out of the marine hobby for years because collection techniques used in third world countries. All that live rock we cherish is collected by jokers with a sledge hammer in an unregulated country. R
Old 11/20/2006, 06:06 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by rickh
I hate to spend $50 for fish, take care of it for a month in quarantine then have him go carpet surfing. There isn't an infinite number of these fish in the wild. I was out of the marine hobby for years because collection techniques used in third world countries. All that live rock we cherish is collected by jokers with a sledge hammer in an unregulated country. R
You're missing the point.

A halichoeres wrasse is, IMO, no more likely to jump than a Tang, or an Angel. they are NOT the same as fairies and flashers.

Should you have some sort of cover? Maybe, but guilt tripping this kid is just silly.

Do you have a cover to keep your clownfish in the tank? Theres a thread in the DIY forum right now with a nice clear mesh cover. Check that out if you're interested.
Old 11/20/2006, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Well radiant wrasses, which I seem to recall is halichoeres are considered jumpers at least by some. While I was certainly not trying to say that ALL wrasses jump, for those that do, egg crate may not cut it. But, as verde-ad says, if you are willing to take the risk, go for it.

The thread was titled "Peoples experience with Wrasse's that jump out of tanks" and I have a fair amount of experience with that subject. It was not titled "Will a radiant wrasse jump out of the tank". Since I have feather dusters and shrimp, I choose not to own a radiant wrasse.

~Steve~
Old 11/20/2006, 09:23 PM

FWIW, I found my Lubbock's wrasse on the center brace dead - he looked pretty horrible

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 11/20/2006, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

Lubbock's are highly prone to jumping. Sorry Marie.

~Steve~
Old 11/21/2006, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

snorvich- When I started this thread I wanted to get a wrasse for my setup. I happened to find the radiant at a LFS. I was under the impression that wrasses in general tend to jump but wanted to hear other people’s experiences before I make any decision. I apologize for the title being misleading in any way. But I do appreciate the input.
Old 11/21/2006, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

saltyreeftank, no problem by me. I was simply trying to respond to the thread which got a little side tracked when the debate over which wrasses jump got inserted. I have a lot of experience with wrasses that jump but certainly do not claim to have experience with ALL wrasses.

My solution is to have canopies over my primary tanks so that when they jump, they bounce off the walls and fall back into the tank. Obviously there are some downsides to this solution, not the least of which is expense. But I have some fish which cost more than the canopy so for me it is worth it.

~Steve~
Old 11/21/2006, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

snorvich- Thanks again. I would consider a canopy but I have not been able to find one for my tank as of yet. What I really want to do is add a fish that has a nice red color. The radiant wrasse at the LFS caught my eye. I was also considering a flame hawkfish, but I am concerned about the 2 Scarlet cleaner shrimp that are currently in the tank. I am open for any suggestions at this point to what would be the best choice for around $50.

Thanks
Old 11/21/2006, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Well a red flame hawkfish can definitely have a taste for cleaner shrimp. I had to remove mine from one of my tanks.

~Steve~
Old 11/21/2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snorvich
Lubbock's are highly prone to jumping. Sorry Marie.
Thanks for the info - I didn't replace him, instead I bought a pair of yellow fin fairy wrasses - so far so good - no jumping, but it turns out they are both male

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 11/21/2006, 01:20 PM

My funky fish fence

I've lost a lubbocks and a midas blenny to jumping Saw the midas go through the eggcrate when I had it across the surface once... Anyways... I hated the thought of losing light due to the eggcrate so I built this little fence. My current wrasse [clown/painted] has "banked" off it numerous times, usually due to my GSM spooking it. No losses yet
Old 11/21/2006, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jda
Leopards are the only wrasse that is not a real jumper. I haven't heard of too many people losing leopards that way.
I lost my leopard wrasse to jumping. I had an open backed canopy. It was very sad because I had him for about six months and he was very healthy and happy.
Old 11/21/2006, 02:45 PM
Girl Geek

Halichoeres wrasses can and do jump. I found my melanarus wrasse laying on the floor next to my 90. It got through a small opening between the frame and egg crate from what I figure. I threw it back in (not sure how long it was on the floor), it laid at the bottom for a few hours, buried itself, and then reemerged the next day like nothing happened. I covered the gap with a better cut piece of egg crate and haven't had a problem since.
Old 11/21/2006, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

PUGroyale- That custom made wall in your canopy was a great idea. Thanks for the photo.
Old 11/21/2006, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Actually that custom made wall is about a 98% solution, well above any other egg crate solution that I have seen. Oh, and by the way, a gorgeous tank!!

~Steve~
Old 11/22/2006, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

I opened my tank last week to feed, and my flasher wrasse jumped over my head. The tank was open for less than 5 seconds and like a missile he comes flying out. Grabbed him and tossed him back, no problems yet, but they jump. He clangs his head once a week or so, usually when something pops out of a rock next to him (shrimp, crab, fish, really anything scares him)
Old 11/22/2006, 02:27 AM
Premium Member

i lost a harlewuin tusk from jumping out.. nice aussie one to!

all fairies/flashers will jump. Most halichoeres species will jump as well. I have had a few orantes jump on me (didnt die). Although most wrasse who bury in the sand tend not to jump. their first line of defense is to burrow in the sand. If not sand is present they still try to burrow..
Old 11/22/2006, 04:31 PM
I May be Ich Free

i took the chance knowing that it was probable some day the fish would leap. i was planning on covering the top eventually. too late..found fish inside stand(open back)

what a waste,,fish was doing so well..
keeping this species with an open top is foolhardy
Old 11/22/2006, 04:33 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by zemuron114
Although most wrasse who bury in the sand tend not to jump. their first line of defense is to burrow in the sand. If not sand is present they still try to burrow..
exactly my point. Its not instinctual for sand sleepers to jump. They'll jump just as often as any other random fish. (I've seen clowns, tangs, pretty much everything jump. I've seen a flounder jump out of an aquarium display. Any fish has a chance of jumping.)

Flashers/Fairys on the other hand, instinctually go straight up when they get spooked, which is why they jump so often.

Yes, you may have a halichoeres jump, but its no more likely to jump than a random fish.
Old 11/22/2006, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Well I called the LFS today and was told that This Friday they are having a sale of 25% off all of there livestock. I think I am going to try the egg crate and give him a try. $37 for a Radiant should be a fair price right?
Old 11/24/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Well I never made it down to the LFS to pick up the radiant. But you will never guess what happened today. When I was feeding the fish I did not see my yellow watchman goby in his usual spot. I did not have much time to spend looking for him at the time, so when I came home later in the day I found him. Only thing is he was not in the tank, yes he was on the floor. I have never had a fish jump out on me and when I start to ask the questions on jumpers I have this happen. Sad thing is he was the fish I have had the longest and he will be missed. I just though this was quite the coincidence, and thought I should share the story.
Old 11/25/2006, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

lost my wrasse to jumping. Would not buy another one unless I have a fence like above.