Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2007, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

most important advancement in last 10 years

With all the advancements made in this hobby in the last ten years - from needle wheel skimmers to LED lighting - what do you think is the one advancement that has contributed most to success in our captive reefs?

"Border relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better." - George W. Bush, Sep. 24, 2001.
Old 11/02/2007, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

OK, I'll start -

I think the availability of information, from things like RC and other boards to the works of Delbeek & Sprung, Calfo, Borneman, Shimek, Homes-Farley, ect.

Reefkeeping was based on much more hearsay and "conventional wisdom," instead of experience and science 10 years ago.

"Border relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better." - George W. Bush, Sep. 24, 2001.
Old 11/03/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Kind of hard question, most of the equipment we use is actually old, we're just reapplying it.

-Samuel Clemens
Old 11/03/2007, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

refugiums, although they are from the 80's they have really taken off with better understanding in the last 10 years IMO
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 11/03/2007, 07:28 AM
Who's your daddy

I think you have covered everything
Old 11/03/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

I don't think it's so much the advancements in new products as much as the advancements in manufacturing that allow the same products to be more affordable. Setting up a very complete system 10 years ago took a lot more DIY and expense because many of the products weren't readily available or affordable. Today, you can buy just about anything you could ever need, and in many cases it's actually cheaper to buy than to DIY.
Old 11/03/2007, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

As one who was in the hobby before and after internet, I would definetely say thats the largest single advancement of our hobby.
Old 11/03/2007, 09:16 AM
"Lurker"

Quote:
Originally posted by murraycamp
OK, I'll start -

I think the availability of information, from things like RC and other boards to the works of Delbeek & Sprung, Calfo, Borneman, Shimek, Homes-Farley, ect.

Reefkeeping was based on much more hearsay and "conventional wisdom," instead of experience and science 10 years ago.
I agree. Now w/ the info. that is available, reef keeping is accessable to everyone and not just a select few w/ the knowledge and resources. The growing popularity of our hobby has created enough demand where once custom equipement is now mass produced (i.e. affordable) or DIY'able. Knowledge then proper equipment has led to allot of success for new people that would not have made it 10 years ago (myself included).
Old 11/03/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Definitely the ability to communicate like we are. In terms of products, think of how much an effect this site and others like it have. Companies can be very well in touch with demand by browsing through these forums. Also, they are forced to produce top quality products because people are going to know real soon about anything that has defects or just plain sucks.
Old 11/03/2007, 09:37 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by Flatlander
As one who was in the hobby before and after internet, I would definetely say thats the largest single advancement of our hobby.
I have to completely agree on this one

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 11/03/2007, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Thanks! Good stuff.

Old 11/03/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

iron based phosphate remover
Old 11/03/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

The sharing of information is by far the most powerful changing force in many hobbies and fields, and seems to be with reef-keeping as well.
Old 11/03/2007, 06:59 PM
Mortar Target

My answer is the availability of RO/DI water.
Old 11/03/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roblack
The sharing of information is by far the most powerful changing force in many hobbies and fields, and seems to be with reef-keeping as well.
I agree, it has rocket launch my knowledge and experience in the hobby to heights i could never imagine when i first thought about setting up a saltwater tank.
Old 11/03/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

The message board.
Old 11/03/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

T5-HO
Old 11/03/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I second that !!!!!
Old 11/03/2007, 09:06 PM
Who dat?

Debit/Charge card.
Old 11/03/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Internet by far, I guarantee that I wouldn't have any of my tanks without the net. Online shopping is huge I think. I'd have a little 20g if I had to buy everything from the lfs.
Old 11/03/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Reefcental is my answer. My first tank was bought at petco, if it was not for reefcental, I would not have upgraded a month later and most of my livestock would have died. Because of reefcentral i have learned enough to keep me interested and still going strong. And in the last two years i have turned 5 of my good friends into reefer addicts.
Old 11/04/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Information far excedes any one innovation, as information encompasses all innovations. The way I found out about RODI, skimming, calcium reactors, feeding corals, supplements, pests, compatibility issues, lighting, stability, etc. was through others sharing their experiences with me, and some trial and error. It would be ridiculous for each of us to continue to re-invent the wheel, in costly and wasteful manners. I thank all of you!
Old 11/04/2007, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

In the future, I think that we will find that fragging will be one of the most inportant advancements that is usefull to us. This is how we will always be able to get very nice corals and a great way to start a friendship. Michael R
Old 11/04/2007, 01:06 AM
Premium Member

I think in 20 years we will look back and agree that led lighting will have easily been the most beneficial advancement to the hobby during this time span.
Old 11/04/2007, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Information far excedes any one innovation, as information encompasses all innovations.
Well stated. You're welcome!