Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/19/2006, 07:42 PM
How many is too many?

Gem Tang

Anyone ever seen one of these for sale? Seems there rare here but semi plentiful in Europe
Old 06/19/2006, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

I have seen a few online in the last few years. Big $$$. I think the 1700 stingray reef thead has one in it. A few memebers have them. Cool fish now doubt, but for the $$$?
Old 06/19/2006, 07:52 PM
How many is too many?

How big is big $$$$?
Old 06/19/2006, 08:18 PM
LIRA's Posting Princess<3

Chris after the red carpet anenome flush I dont think that would be a wise move...

Besides...

How many tangs are in your tank? We talked about this last night. LOL

Puckbs (5:33:44 PM): clownfish would have trouble staying still in an icecube
Old 06/19/2006, 08:24 PM
How many is too many?

Well acording to the tang police too many. Youll see when you make the tank tour of us western folk
Old 06/19/2006, 08:26 PM
zoa ninja

i've seen one in a store near garden city, aquarium adventure. can't remember how much nor how often they got them in, but i think it is avilable to them if you special order.
Old 06/19/2006, 08:29 PM

western folk...lmaoooo this is why i love you guys :P you always keep me laughing

Old 06/19/2006, 08:35 PM
How many is too many?

Aquarium adventure huh? Im sure they would get a grand for it. There ridiculously priced as is! But thanks for the lead
Old 06/19/2006, 09:00 PM
Grouch Potato

i want one too.

group buy????
Old 06/19/2006, 09:32 PM
Parapterois heterura

there is a quota of around one hundred annually from the usual exporting country (Mauritius). For their rarity and greater distance to America, they are more commonly found in Europe. US specimens often come from a European holding station and as such have added handling fees. Wholesale ranges 400-700 USD... retail needs to be at least double if not triple that for risk if not standard profit margins.

I know a chap in Sri Lanka that ships to LI... was visiting him last week and he commented that he can get Gem tangs from Madagascar if the gov will issue the permits. If that occurs, then there will be more Gem tangs entering the US... and of all places: New York as the port of entry

They will be expensive though for a very long time. They are collected in remote regions at great expense and risk (to divers and fish alike).
Old 06/19/2006, 10:57 PM
Grouch Potato

Hello Anthony,

Nice to have you lurking.
Old 06/20/2006, 12:51 AM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

So Anthony,

Does that mean you can hook up us LIRA folks
Old 06/20/2006, 06:38 AM
O&A PARTY ROCK!!

I think Anthony is suggesting a Sri Lanka group buy.
Cool.
Old 06/20/2006, 11:27 AM
How many is too many?

Im thinking more like finding a friend in Europe! That gives me an idea........
Old 06/20/2006, 11:32 AM
Parapterois heterura

heehee... have chatted with Eric offline about this But for all/else: I strongly suggest (beg really) that you do not(!) group buy animals sight unseen... especially transshipped animals.

Its not only irresponsible aquarium keeping IMO, but it statistically translates into higher mortalities overall for any given shipment. There are exceptions, of course, but the numbers do not lie overall.

Animals that are forced to stay in transit longer (direct transshipments beyond LAX typically) automatically have higher rates of morbidity and mortality. Those that are fielded by less experienced wholesalers or hobbyists fare even worse overall (see net mortality after 2 months, 6 months, one year).

There are very real and definable reasons for this starting with the degradation of water quality in the bag, chganges in fishes blood chemistry from X hours of exposure, and then how that can be improved (or not) by handling on arrival. We often see (and can predict) percentage mortalities after days or weeks in captivity from shipping impositions. These are many of the "mysterious" deaths of siehs that look great weeks after import. Blood chemistry and irreparable damage issues, etc.

The best wholesalers in LA have acclimation systems that cost more than most folks houses! And it is not money spent unwisely... they do it because it increases profits which in this case thankfully means more fishes and corals survived import.

My advice to fellow hobbyists that want to do grou buys is (again) to always and only buy animals on sight. When that is not possible (or ignored) please at least buy from a regional wholesaler with fishes that have had a chance to be tanked and stabilized for some time to improve long term survival chances. Although there is a big difference in price sometimes, I promise you that you get what you pay for!

It breaks my heart to see ignorant folks order cheap fish/corals over and over again. Its a waste of a precious living resource indeed.

Please remember, "Good things and seldom cheap, and cheap things are seldom good."

OK... sorry for the soapbox but the door was wide open
Old 06/20/2006, 12:14 PM
How many is too many?

Wow my thread has become a lesson in transshipped fish..... While i can certainly agree that the longer animals are in transit the mortality risk goes higher i can see the flip side too. Some things are just so crazily priced that it pays to take the risk. IMO i would never pay 1000.00 for a fish but might be willing to take a risk for a much cheaper price. Its all about the economics of my wallett.
Old 06/20/2006, 03:16 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by cb747
Its all about the economics of my wallett.
Old 06/20/2006, 03:37 PM

Still want a Gem tang Chris?

Old 06/20/2006, 05:25 PM
How many is too many?

Not for a retail price! I still need a friend in Europe
Old 06/20/2006, 05:44 PM
Grouch Potato

I want TWO now. In case one croaks

Still cheaper than Country Critters, lol.
Old 06/20/2006, 06:53 PM
How many is too many?

A friend of a friend is a flight attendant and flies to Europe reguarly Couldnt ask for a faster transit time. Shes going to start looking around on her next trip I totally forgot about her till i just saw her before Shes willing to do it too. Told her id give her a 50.00 finders and transport fee LOL
Old 06/29/2006, 02:49 AM
Registered Member

I agree with anthony when we get transipped stuff in the mortality rate is much higer than a whole slae orde rso iunlle syou have a HUGE quarintine SYSTem i wouldnt do a group transhiped order.
Old 07/20/2006, 08:48 AM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Chris,

Found your Gem Tang for ya!

Marine Center: $3k + shipping:
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/tangs/gemtang/
Old 07/20/2006, 11:03 AM
How many is too many?

Mike already sent me that link LOL Whats a mere 3 grand.......
Old 07/20/2006, 03:37 PM
The Squirrel Never Sleeps

Ya think that they might just give you free shipping, don't ya?

Greedy Greedy Greedy people!