Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/04/2005, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

Acanthastrea Hillae Question

I am acquiring a nice piece of Acanthastrea Hillae, and would like to know what the best way to mount it will be. I have heard super glue gel works well, just be liberal with it. Also being this is my first piece of Acanthastrea of any kind, will the exoskeleton encrust live rock if just set on it, and is this safe? Thanks for the information.
Old 04/04/2005, 08:54 PM
Moved On

The best way to go is to mount the frag on a small piece of live rock when you get it. Use putty and build it up around the frag so it has a smooth transition from the frag to the putty to the rock. These pieces will eventually encrust over the putty and onto the rock (after a few years) so build the transition as naturally as possible.

You could even cut out a hole for the frag so it will be flush with the lr's surface and putty it in. Either way don't wait too long to mount or your frag will begin to encrust on itself and it will be hard to mount.

I think they grow too slow to be laid on a rock and expected to attach, more than likely you'll get what I have: a 1"X1" pyramid fully encrusted on all sides
Old 04/04/2005, 09:21 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bugsy714

I think they grow too slow to be laid on a rock and expected to attach, more than likely you'll get what I have: a 1"X1" pyramid fully encrusted on all sides
LOL been there done that