Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/10/2007, 09:54 PM
Aquarium Addict

I was a NEWB in 02/2006. Never had a fish tank since goldfish back in my childhood. Thanks to this forum and a good LFS my tank is thriving @ going on 2 years. Sure I was impatient in the beginning and made some mistakes, but I'd do it all again.
Old 11/10/2007, 10:54 PM
CDMAS

Lance,

I thought long and hard about replying to this because I'm not convinced that your intent is to be helpful or positive. But I may be imparting a tone to your post that you don't intend so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

What was it that sparked the SW interest ?
I've always been interested in sea life, so much that I went 1500 miles away from home to study Marine Biology in college. I didn't end up finding a career in that field but I did learn quite a bit about marine life.
That said I wasn't completely prepared for how I would care for these animals in captivity. I did learn quite a bit from the people at my local stores. Good LFS employees and owners do exist.

Why do so many think its as easy as a FW tank .

My saltwater tanks have always been healthier and easier to maintain than any freshwater tank I ever had. I find that there is a greater variety of organisms that can fill niches that can help to keep the tank balanced. The systems are more complicated in SW but they don't have to be. My special ed class is building a small system in a 10gal tank. It does not demand extraordinary amounts of care.

Why do many go head first without any research or a plan for this system?

Well? Many people do not have a dearth of information available to them. I did not find reef central until I had been in the hobby for two years. There are many good books but the ones that are commercially available are often out dated. Borders and Barnes and Noble don't frequently carry what we would consider to be good aquarium books.

I've also noticed that people get very enthusiastic in this hobby early on and impulse buys are frequent.

Define Irony: Algae growing on a snail.
Old 11/10/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

1. My best friend of many years had been doing it and I fell in love with the hobby the second I saw his tank for the first time

2. He helped me and it made things easier

3. Because LFS provide false info and dont take time to teachothers the things they need to know
Old 11/11/2007, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by samb
Given my personality type (obsessisive, compulsive, competitve and impatient), I'm probably not well suited for this hobby and given different circumstances would not have taken up this hobby.
Hey, I'm all of those things too!
Old 11/11/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

Re: Can all you NEWBS help me.

Quote:
Originally posted by demonsp

what sparked the sw interest?
well, i grew up in MA, and my summers were spent in Woods Hole/Falmouth. I pretty much went to the beach every day, and it wasn't long before i realized what WHOI is. when i figured out as a kid that there were people who spent their lives studying the ocean, i figured that was for me cause i loved it. later on i got into FW tanks, and SW has stuck in my head as a thing i need to do. never had the money or the time at the same time though, so i got by on my cichlid tanks. i'm slowly building my sw system now, though. and after years of working at various mundane jobs i have finally reached a point in life that i can go after the degrees needed to give me a shot at my dream, along with setting up my own home system, so here i am..why did you start?

why do new people think sw is as easy as fw?
dunno. i haven't kept a sw system yet, so beyond what i know from volunteering at a public aquarium and reading here and elsewhere i'm really just not sure what other people think, so i can't answer that one for sure. i think anybody who has never done something lacks an appreciation for the details though. why do so many sw people think fw is mindless?

why do many go head first without research?
again, i dunno. i suppose that a person starting out is limited by their access to information and a general lack of direction outside whatever lfs they may have access to. this is not to blame all the stores out there and trash lfs employees across the land, but in some instances even the most well intentioned lfs employee simply does not have the time to walk someone through the whole thing, and a newbie who doesn't recognize that right off may take it as a complete course in aquariums when in fact the guidance is incomplete. how long did you spend researching your first system?
Old 11/11/2007, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Initially, the beauty and variety. That was well over a decade before I actually purchased a SW tank though.
Quote:
Why do so many think its as easy as a FW tank.
Compared to some FW tanks I've run, I've found it to be easier, but for the most part I wouldn't say it's "easier" but it is certainly more rewarding.
Quote:
No license required for this hobby Local Pet/Fish stores, availability, the fact that someone can walk out with a complete pico/nano setup without spending their life's savings.
Quote:
Im wondering if the same answers are similar .
And if its a LFS impulse buy.
I'm sure there are plenty of impulse buys. For me it was a "you know what, I've wanted to do this for as long as I can remember, and I'm only going to live once, so here goes.." I did a lot of research before buying, I'm still doing research, and I'm positive I won't ever stop learning.
Quote:
Honest answers with no bashing ( by me ) would really help me understand as i am frustred and wish i could inform everyone before they start.
What would you like to inform me of? I'm constantly learning, and would love to hear your input.
Quote:
There are many questions that scientist cant answer about reef criiter from fish to coral and are learning from reefers like you and me , well mb not me but you understand. With such a delicate eco-system why would anybody jump in uninformed.
True, and science is ever evolving. You may also be surprised to know that hobbyists (many of which are scientists) have contributed to the greater knowledge of our oceans and reefs.
Old 11/11/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

demonsp, i would love to hear your answers to the questions i asked in my post
Old 11/11/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Im wondering if the same answers are similar .

Honest answers with no bashing ( by me ) would really help me understand as i am frustred and wish i could inform everyone before they start.

There are many questions that scientist cant answer about reef criiter from fish to coral and are learning from reefers like you and me , well mb not me but you understand. With such a delicate eco-system why would anybody jump in uninformed.

I really just want to know.

Marine Science class in HS and saw my first Clown and Tang.

I knew it was not as easy as FW

I did do some research and did not dive head first, the hobby is not as easy like RC cars (was into for a few years). I learn something new everyday it seems

No was not an impluse buy. I built my house in 05 and decided to leave out the chimney so I could put my SW tank there as something I could sit and look at as well as being a main part of the room.

I have ALWAYS wanted a SW tank and I have it now but its still a huge huge learning process.

Remember all the experienced people here were once a noob themselves.

I say a "thanks" in every thread I start(some posts) because I know when I get responses it is for the most part from experienced people.

Thanks for everyones patience for all of us noobs that are trying to learn everything we can.
Old 11/11/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

i am a college student majoring in biological oceanography and i plan on researching in the water world for a good part of my life and i really wanted to maintain a little ecosystem of my own and watch it thrive. and also because reefs are incredible
Old 11/11/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

I kept freshwater for years as a kid then later in life moved on to keeping and raising Discus and planted tanks. I got out of about 12 years ago and planned on starting up a new planted tank. Halfway through the planning for that I saw a post on a freshwater site were a guy had started a reef tank and I decided that I was not going with freshwater anymore. I had always liked saltwater but never got into it. I have been researching and getting equipment together for well over a year now and I'm still a few months off from starting to plumb. My goal was to learn as much as I could to keep my mistakes limited when I get started. Hopefully it will pay off.
Old 11/11/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by samb
Given my personality type (obsessisive, compulsive, competitve and impatient), I'm probably not well suited for this hobby
I think everyone in this hobby has a little OCD in their personality.
Old 11/11/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xian
[B]Lance,

I thought long and hard about replying to this because I'm not convinced that your intent is to be helpful or positive. But I may be imparting a tone to your post that you don't intend so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I would think all honest and fourthcoming responses would be the help i ( and any newbie's especailly) was looking for.
Thank you and yes i was very interested in the subject.
Old 11/11/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dwd5813
My little brother code name killingseed has a very nice 75 gallon mostly coral tank. Whene you walk in his home this is the first place you go, the viewing is the best. Whene its clean and done right. He tried a eel tank yrs back with some results but not enough to spark any interest , but after he got the coral tank going i was very impressed.

Lance Hollister
Red neck reefer.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dwd5813
I bought a SW book (The New Salt Water Aquarium ) and read it twice. vistited my LFS , with net seraching. Then planed tank from size to substrate to stock. I bought all LS all fully cured LR let tank cycle 6 weeks but never saw any high readings. Then added a few fish and some cleanup crew.
I have made some minor mistakes (mostly in fish choices and amount of LS and LR) but had the money and wanted to.
Never had any major problem and still learning to this day.
I think i learn more from posting an incorrect answer to a thread as your all ready to correct me but it still help me learn. There is no stupid question or answer IMO. Its whene you dont ask or interact that you dont get educated enough.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

dont like snakes, dont care for dogs too much, kats are ok, had a cracadille once ! lizards are cool! didnt like FW fish not too many where colorful enough. Discus where ok I trade that back in late 80’s early 90’s. was at one of our LSF and saw some SW fish and couldn’t stop myself. Setup up around 5 different tanks and ends up running two tanks for I cant remembers. One had couple fish one had a couple fish and a zerbra eel which I traded a 4ft Iguana for it. was many 12 in when I got him, got big over time. needed a break. Too one set up another tank or two again! :> got to love it!

Quote:

it is if done right, even then things happen! once its up and going it will provide you with a wonderful array of colors and vibrant live moving around before you eyes. In the right lights color’s will pop out and amaze you.

Quote:

its an addiction , gets you hart pumping. we learn better from mistakes then with out them. allows us to know we are on the right track. JMO
Old 11/12/2007, 06:37 PM
Team RC Member

I'll tell you one main reason why I think saltwater is easier than freshwater: I kept freshwater back in the days of U-tubes and, shall we say, less equipment. I sucked more pondwater than I like to remember, and it's a wonder I didn't contract typhoid, making those darned U-tubes stay siphoning. We had corner filters, we had undergravel...ugh. THere was a Dirty Job.

Switched to salt water and everything is, comparatively, so clean! You have tests and equipment that balances everything. I drip kalk and run a fuge, I have only little fish that can feed off the tank itself in a pinch [except the chromis], and I don't have to suck water to make the system work: the live rock just does-it!

So yep, from where I stand, with a little attention to chemistry and good equipment, modern salt is a LOT easier than 1970's-80's freshwater.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 11/12/2007, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
A TURTLE! (Injured turtle needed a tank, nursed it back to health... bigger tank for bigger turtle.. fed it some small feeders.. realized I liked the FW Feeders better than the turtle, released the turtle where we found it in my mother~in~laws pond. Kept the tank with the feeders..)
NOW... a few years later... I am heavy into planted FW tanks and tropicals. Then, a friend of mine had a 30g bowfront reef, WOW... fish are nice, plants are nice, but corals and the whole eco system thriving inspired me with a challenge. With a little coaching from her, and I got her into FW planted tanks, we shared and taught each other aquarium keeping techniques that we didn't know. She was taught FW, and I learned SW.

Quote:
Ehhh....?? Not easier, but different. I think it is not easier, but some further steps are involved. Once established, my reef keeps itself in check usually though, and I don't have to babysit it too much. My FW tanks always needs something done. But I love messin' with the nano tank more. Go figure.

Quote:

I see lots of online ads for tanks and setups to get "my kid a NEMO fish for their birthday" or whatever. (Burns my cookies!!! )

NOW REALLY.. someone mentioned "INSTANT GRATIFICATION" in this thread. I think that is what some people who want it all, then get discouraged when all the pretty fish they bought bite the big one, and ask "WHY??? It cycled for 1 week", or "my parameters were good, it has been up and running for 3 days when I added the fish, then all of a sudden, the fish die 1 week later?... HELP!"... AGHHHH! and on and on. It took over 2 months of cycling for my virgin system to start to support more than a snail or crab. Come on people.. do a bit of reading!

Instant gratification with success rates in this hobby is rare. I've learned one thing, nothing happens fast (cycling, coral growth, etc..), unless it is bad, then speed of light occurs when disaster strikes, and it is always on a massive level if not caught or corrected early.

Quote:
OH yeah.. sure, there is that. However, I would hope that any LFS with a great Reef or SW setups, maintained great, would also give great advise. However, I have seen LFS try to help customers that just wouldn't take advise, and buy stuff anyways.

Quote:
I really just want to know.
Though I'm a noob.... I always try to spread the word about PATIENCE is a virtue in this hobby, ignorance can kill, or at least.. discourage a future hobbiest. Our job, as noobs and non~noobs alike, is to help each other and educate. Which is why I am here, to learn more, to reap further rewards for my efforts, and to enlighten my friends and family to the complex and fragile marine ecosystem, in my house, and in the world.

(By the way.. "JEFF" the turtle is still alive in the pond, we see him every year stick his big old head out of the water... Jeff.. look what you have gotten me into!)
Old 11/12/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

im the type of person who has to have the coolest **** on the block......

FW...not cool enough
SW....way cooler

Old 11/12/2007, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Iv'e had SW fish and reef tanks since 1994 and I became a salt water college student, I put everything else aside (insert addiction here_____), after my first marriage failed (after 16 years) I got remarried 1 year later with someone who understands my passion....and is loaded, but I'm in and under my tank every morning and night till this day, but one thing I'm guilty of is when people ask me if salt water is hard I tell them not really - live rock, skimmer, etc.. makes it a breeze but then when I leave them I say to myself are you stupid? this hobby brings me to tears sometimes. but I will never leave this hobby for anything because it brings me that much joy. Side note my neighbor down the street saw my tank one time and fell in love with it, now she tells me that every day she drives by my house she feels better just knowing that there is a beautiful reef tank in that house.